PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Range Open Carry

killathrilla
01-22-2011, 8:31 PM
Question:
Can you Open Carry a loaded firearm that is holstered at an outdoor shooting range while shooting other firearms (rifles, handguns)?
Thanks

1hkfan
01-22-2011, 8:37 PM
The range I use in San Luis Obispo doesn't allow it. When the line is "cold" all firearms need to be down with the chamber up. This allows everyone to go safely down range to check/change targets without having to worry about a ND.

CAL.BAR
01-22-2011, 8:41 PM
This illustrates the point I have been trying to make for years. There are NO controlled ranges where you can open carry. (despite the fact that they and their staff generally do) Despite the gun range owners' representations to the contrary, they want nothing to do with hords of the great unwashed comming into their shops and ranges with guns on their hips. If they did, they would declare their premises "free carry" zones. In fact, most gun stores and gun ranges don't even let you take your gun out of the cary case etc. until you get onto the line. They know what we refuse to accept. While not all people are morons, there are just enough in the population to make everyone with a gun a very dangerous place.

jb7706
01-22-2011, 8:42 PM
Question:
Can you Open Carry a loaded firearm that is holstered at an outdoor shooting range while shooting other firearms (rifles, handguns)?
Thanks

Depends on the range and its policy. You would need to contact the range you intend to shoot at.

killathrilla
01-22-2011, 8:45 PM
The example is not pertaining to a privately owned shooting range but a shooting area that is open to the public to shoot at like various locations throughout Kern County.

audiophil2
01-22-2011, 8:48 PM
This illustrates the point I have been trying to make for years. There are NO controlled ranges where you can open carry. (despite the fact that they and their staff generally do) Despite the gun range owners' representations to the contrary, they want nothing to do with hords of the great unwashed comming into their shops and ranges with guns on their hips. If they did, they would declare their premises "free carry" zones. In fact, most gun stores and gun ranges don't even let you take your gun out of the cary case etc. until you get onto the line. They know what we refuse to accept. While not all people are morons, there are just enough in the population to make everyone with a gun a very dangerous place.

News to me. I OC at a few ranges.

1hkfan
01-22-2011, 8:57 PM
"Kern County" That brings back some nice memories of shooting on the eastern area of Edison Hwy when I was a kid. I wasn't aware places like that were still open to shoot.

locosway
01-22-2011, 9:04 PM
Most ranges are "cold", and it's for good reason. The holstering, un-holstering, loading, shooting, etc. can cause a ND. When you have that many people doing their own version of some training they read about on ehow.com, it's just a disaster waiting to happen.

The reason the higher end places allow this is they usually have a RO or someone watching the people and helping out. If this is a training class, that's different as the attention of the instructor is focused on the students.

Personally I wouldn't go to a "hot" range to shoot. The only exception here is if you were not allowed to draw from the holster, but then what's the point?

hoffmang
01-22-2011, 9:09 PM
The Penal Code has exemptions for range LOC. Range rules often prohibit that however.

-Gene

Decoligny
01-22-2011, 9:22 PM
If you are talking about out in the desert, either private land open to public use or BLM land, then yes you can. I shoot out at rattlesnake road in Roasmond, private lan that the owner allows to be used for shooting. Since it is legal to LOC, it is legal to shoot a rifle while carrying a loaded pistol.

ipser
01-23-2011, 7:32 AM
I suspect that most range rules are due to insurance requirements, not range owner or officer preferences. The range where we usually shoot is extremely strict (you can't even sit in a car without eye protection) and it was explained to me that this was an insurance requirement.

jb7706
01-23-2011, 11:38 AM
I suspect that most range rules are due to insurance requirements, not range owner or officer preferences. The range where we usually shoot is extremely strict (you can't even sit in a car without eye protection) and it was explained to me that this was an insurance requirement.

Highly doubtful that is actually required by insurance. It's more likely they are using that excuse to enforce policy. Glasses in a car is a little excessive, but it's their house and all that.

Ranges often set rules based on what is commonly seen as good practice developed over decades of industry experience. National agencies like NRA often help develop rules and consult for ranges, most places use this as a foundation.

Things like open carry on a public range are generally forbidden do to the wide spectrum of shooter experience, training and responsibility. Most folks are fine, but if you spend a day working the line at any range you will find that there are some folks that just can't, don't or won't get it. It's this lowest common denominator that LOC rules are intended to protect against.

audiophil2
01-23-2011, 3:41 PM
I stopped in to my gun shop today to buy a firearm. After completing the sale I had the clerk hold my purchase behind the counter because my son wanted to see me shoot. I went to the range counter and told the guy my son wanted to see me shoot so he let me on the range ahead of some folks that did not show up yet. I grabbed my eyes and ears along with a box of ammo from my car. I went to the line, set up my target, and removed my CCW gun from my holster. I loaded some FMJs and shot a few mags, reloaded my SD ammo and re holstered then walked back to the counter to get my ID. I was in and out in 5 minutes and my toddler has a new target full of holes.
The range does not allow drawing from the holster but it has the common sense to know people carrying guns would be better to handle them on the range then unloading them in a car.

wash
01-23-2011, 3:47 PM
Some ranges allow LOC.

I have LOCed at one range as rattlesnake protection. It is a private range with open membership, no RO unless there is a competition.

I understand why some busy ranges have rules against carry, it is a safety measure to ensure safe cease fire and target posting.

Gryff
01-23-2011, 6:01 PM
I unloaded concealed carry when I'm at the range. Then again, that's because I'm shooting IDPA.

:)

Kharn
01-23-2011, 6:16 PM
Anyone that does not carry at the range is flirting with disaster.

I've had a few too many close calls while at an otherwise vacant range while changing targets and some "interesting" folks show up, the thought of getting shot with my own rifle (while fighting back with my holstered .45) makes me sling it and take it to the backstop with me, along with a 30rd mag.

CAL.BAR
01-23-2011, 7:46 PM
News to me. I OC at a few ranges.

Not controlled ranges. Especially not indoor ones and never in a gun store. (Right?) I aften talk to my local range owner, and he has TONS of stories about "people" with guns. The same "people who would be running around with guns if there were no restrictions on carrying.

audiophil2
01-23-2011, 8:21 PM
Not controlled ranges. Especially not indoor ones and never in a gun store. (Right?) I aften talk to my local range owner, and he has TONS of stories about "people" with guns. The same "people who would be running around with guns if there were no restrictions on carrying.

Wrong. I was open carrying at an indoor range today after I tucked in my shirt to stop CCing.
I can OC at Ben Avery outdoor range, Shooters World indoor range (did today) and Scottsdale Gun Club indoor range. I took the class at SGC so I can also draw from the holster.

I have LOC'd at Cabela's, Shooters World, SGC, Gunsplus, USAutoweapons, and a few other shops.

There are very few restrictions on carrying guns out here and the streets are not running with the blood of ND's.

9mmlaw
01-24-2011, 9:23 AM
Wrong. I was open carrying at an indoor range today after I tucked in my shirt to stop CCing.
I can OC at Ben Avery outdoor range, Shooters World indoor range (did today) and Scottsdale Gun Club indoor range. I took the class at SGC so I can also draw from the holster.

I have LOC'd at Cabela's, Shooters World, SGC, Gunsplus, USAutoweapons, and a few other shops.

There are very few restrictions on carrying guns out here and the streets are not running with the blood of ND's.

Ever at a range (indoor) in California?

YubaRiver
01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Cowboy action shooters are often covered with guns of all sizes.

Glock22Fan
01-24-2011, 12:00 PM
A Range Officer at "A Place To Shoot" near Santa Clarita got annoyed with me because I had a holstered handgun. He said this was not allowed unless I was a LEO. I said "It's unloaded." He said it didn't matter, holstered firearms were not allowed by range rules. I pointed the notice out to him that said "All holstered weapons must be unloaded" and said "Surely that means I can have a holstered unloaded weapon?"

He still said "No." I said, "Well you'd better get the manager to take that notice down, because it is very misleading." However, I did remove my firearm from the holster as I decided it wasn't worth getting thrown out.

For those of you who think bad range behavior is a good indication that those people should not be allowed to carry on the street, I tend to agree, but my guess is that many of the idiots at a range are renting for fun, and not there as serious gun owners. "Oh, let's have some beer, smoke some crack and have fun popping a few caps this afternoon."

paul0660
01-24-2011, 12:13 PM

I've had a few too many close calls while at an otherwise vacant range while changing targets and some "interesting" folks show up, the thought of getting shot with my own rifle (while fighting back with my holstered .45) makes me sling it and take it to the backstop with me, along with a 30rd mag.

Kharn, you need to find a new place to shoot, hire a bodyguard, or make a friend.

Kharn
01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Look up Platt and Matix if you think carrying at the range is excessive. Even if I have a friend with me, I carry.

stix213
01-24-2011, 3:02 PM
I know of one indoor range nearby that will allow you to even draw from a holster at the line, if and only if you have passed a specific pistol class at that range, and with the permission of the RO. That has always seemed like a good compromise to me.

Also this range allows "rapid fire" only if you are capable of putting 100% of those rounds on paper. If you can't do that you need to slow the hell down.

reidnez
01-24-2011, 3:20 PM

Methinks you need to find a new range...the place I go is a family environment, the knucklehead contingent is simply not welcome. There's always an RO on the line when it's busy, and he is firm and fair. I wouldn't shoot anywhere that was not this way.

pMcW
01-24-2011, 6:48 PM
I know of one indoor range nearby that will allow you to even draw from a holster at the line, if and only if you have passed a specific pistol class at that range, and with the permission of the RO. That has always seemed like a good compromise to me.

Also this range allows "rapid fire" only if you are capable of putting 100% of those rounds on paper. If you can't do that you need to slow the hell down.

That must be nice. Around here it's "no holsters" (one range's rules even say you cannot even wear an empty holster--not that there would any point in doing so) and "3 seconds between shots." I really hate getting told to slow down when all my hits are in the black...

Although, I was at some indoor range outside San Diego, where rapid fire seemed to be permitted, and I kept forgetting to rapid fire. My muscle-memory must be trained to the 3-second rule. :o

locosway
01-24-2011, 6:51 PM
That must be nice. Around here it's "no holsters" (one range's rules even say you cannot even wear an empty holster--not that there would any point in doing so) and "3 seconds between shots." I really hate getting told to slow down when all my hits are in the black...

Although, I was at some indoor range outside San Diego, where rapid fire seemed to be permitted, and I kept forgetting to rapid fire. My muscle-memory must be trained to the 3-second rule. :o

There's a range near me that I've been to ONCE, and only once.

You can only have 5 rounds in your magazine at one time. Between shots you must slowly lower your gun down to the table, and then you can bring it back up to take another shot.

The guy who checked me in was a real douche bag too.

imtheomegaman
01-24-2011, 6:57 PM

Common man. This has nothing to do with keeping the "unwashed masses" unarmed. You really think that a firing range would have that attitude? Five feet from the counter are plenty "unwashed" with fully loaded weapons, with gratuitous amounts of ammo usually.

It's a safety rule, wrong or right.

capo
01-24-2011, 8:30 PM
I've never been to a range in CA that allowed it. Discount Firearms in Las Vegas let me and my buddy (LVMPD) run transition drills from our AR's to our holstered sidearms, and took no issue whatsoever. Ranges in CA need to lighten up.

tozan
01-24-2011, 10:01 PM

The range I shoot at had a ND in the shop area just last week and when I spoke with one of the guys there he told me it happens way to often he estimated about 20 ND's at that range. There are signs posted outside that all magazines and weapons are to be unloaded prior to entering the building... Yet people still blow holes in the walls or counters. So in the interest of my safety I would prefer keeping the guns at the lanes...