PDA

View Full Version : 10 Day waiting period on rifles? wtf? Is this real?

spunk2
08-22-2006, 10:40 AM
I moved to AZ about a year ago. I read today in a thread that Cali has a 10 Day waiting period on rifles. Is this real? Did I read this wrong. WTF?

There has got to be something we can do. Form little groups. Impeach our local representives, vote ourselves in. Isn't this supposed to be our country anyway?

blkA4alb
08-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Ha, welcome to California. The 10 day wait has been here for awhile. And yes, its true. Don't forget that you can't buy more than one handgun in a 30 day period from an FFL. And that pistol has to be on the "approved" list.

bwiese
08-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Whereya been? It's been that way since 1991.

The handgun wait used to be 15 days until then.

CALI-gula
08-22-2006, 11:05 AM
It was actually a 15 day waiting period at one time - it became 10 days after National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS run with your 4473) was initiated, whereby some other states that had 5 day waiting periods, actually rescinded their waiting periods entirely.

What I would like to see, is that if I am a gun owner already, which prior records on file with my dealer would show through their own bound book and DROSs with DOJ, and my NICS clears, that I could walk out the store that same day, no matter it being handgun or rifle.

I realize the Anti-2nd Amendment crowd state it is to prevent those recently arrested from getting a gun by which their charges may not be caught by NICS; however, I think if such felonious charges/convictions were so serious that they had to confiscate what I did own, as well as block me from buying a new gun, those charges or convictions would also keep me from walking the streets until they update such records as well.

From what I understand, the NICS is rather thorough, and CA's internal measures for checking CA citizens is even more thorough. So with these double-checks, and if I already have an ungodly large collection, why the wait?

I know.... it's California. One can buy crack-cocaine easier in CA than buying a gun.

Chaingun
08-22-2006, 12:29 PM
HaHa! I had to wait 10 days for the OLL receivers. For 9 days I was planning to beat the first person I saw over the head with them, but on the 10th day I decided not to. See it works:confused:

SFV_Dealer
08-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Yes, I remember in the "good ole days" where we dealers had to submit DROS on a NCR carbonless triplicate and mailed them using a first class postage stamp. Waited 15 days and if I didn't get a call, then all was good. Nowadays the DOJ gave out computers and made all CA dealers go online and submit DROS...

WOW, those good old days are long gone, arent' they ??

Paul1960
08-22-2006, 4:42 PM
[rofl]

no really!

The Soup Nazi
08-22-2006, 5:01 PM
http://www.springfieldparadise.com/episodes/5f01.jpg
Gun Shop Owner: Well, you'll probably want the accessory kit. Holster...
Homer: Oh, yeah.
Gun Shop Owner: Bandoleer.
Homer: Baby.
Gun Shop Owner: Silencer.
Homer: Mmm-hmm.
Gun Shop Owner: Loudener.
Homer: [drooling noise]
Gun Shop Owner: Speed-cocker.
Homer: Ooh, I like the sound of that.
Gun Shop Owner: And this is for shooting down police helicopters.
Homer: Oh, I don't need anything like that...yet. Just give me my gun!
Gun Shop Owner (begins wrestling with Homer for the gun): Sorry pal. The law requires a five day waiting period. We've got to do a background check.
Homer: Five days?! But I'm mad now! (gun shop owner pulls Homer's gun out of his hands) I'd kill you if I had my gun!
Gun Shop Owner (calm): Yeah, well, ya don't.
Gun Shop Owner (five days later): Let's take a look at your background check. It says here you were in a mental hospital...
Homer: Yeah.
Gun Shop Owner: ...frequent problems with alcohol...
Homer: Oh Ho Ho Heh yeah.
Gun Shop Owner: ...beat up President Bush.
Homer: Former president. (the gun shop owner puts a stamp on Homer's forms) "Potentially dangerous"?!
Gun Shop Owner: Relax. It just limits you to three handguns or less.
Homer: Whoohoo!

Homer: Close your eyes, Marge. I've got a surprise for you!
Marge: Mmm! [closes eyes]
Homer: Okay...open your eyes.
http://www.lardlad.com/assets/episodes/season9/5f01.jpg
Homer: Hey! It's a handgun! Isn't it great? This is the trigger, this is the
thing you point at whatever you want to die...

That 10 day wait is an eternity. It makes monks walking over coals look like wussies. Reminds me of when I went through internet withdrawl after the DSL went down and 4 hours felt like 4 days.

kilword
08-22-2006, 5:08 PM
waiting 10 days makes me more mad...its like running downstairs xmas morning then your parents saying you have to wait 10 days to open your gifts.

SemiAutoSam
08-22-2006, 5:13 PM
I moved to AZ about a year ago. I read today in a thread that Cali has a 10 Day waiting period on rifles. Is this real? Did I read this wrong. WTF?

There has got to be something we can do. Form little groups. Impeach our local representives, vote ourselves in. Isn't this supposed to be our country anyway?

I moved back to the PRC about 6 or 7 years ago and was also shocked by this BS. So I have been living this nightmare also.

But in answer to your question no its not real nothing in the PRC with regard to firearms is real Click your heels together and we will all wake up from this nightmare.

And wake up living in a free state.

JPN6336
08-23-2006, 9:22 AM
It was actually a 15 day waiting period at one time - it became 10 days after National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS run with your 4473) was initiated, whereby some other states that had 5 day waiting periods, actually rescinded their waiting periods entirely.

What I would like to see, is that if I am a gun owner already, which prior records on file with my dealer would show through their own bound book and DROSs with DOJ, and my NICS clears, that I could walk out the store that same day, no matter it being handgun or rifle.

I realize the Anti-2nd Amendment crowd state it is to prevent those recently arrested from getting a gun by which their charges may not be caught by NICS; however, I think if such felonious charges/convictions were so serious that they had to confiscate what I did own, as well as block me from buying a new gun, those charges or convictions would also keep me from walking the streets until they update such records as well.

From what I understand, the NICS is rather thorough, and CA's internal measures for checking CA citizens is even more thorough. So with these double-checks, and if I already have an ungodly large collection, why the wait?

I know.... it's California. One can buy crack-cocaine easier in CA than buying a gun.

That's what I've been saying this whole week to any of my friends and family that will listen. Every since I held my Supernova in my hands then had to give it back. Two more days, it's like torture. As long as we're *****ing, I can't believe I had to have lock for my oll. That lock is really gonna stop me from bashing someones head in with the bare receiver. Craziness.

M. Sage
08-23-2006, 5:06 PM
That's what I've been saying this whole week to any of my friends and family that will listen. Every since I held my Supernova in my hands then had to give it back. Two more days, it's like torture. As long as we're *****ing, I can't believe I had to have lock for my oll. That lock is really gonna stop me from bashing someones head in with the bare receiver. Craziness.

Hahaha, the locks are stupid. They gave me one with my 91/30.... as if I can't/don't just take the friggin bolt out when I want it disabled - which is actually a FASTER and more secure way to disable a Mosin-Nagant than that stupid lock.

The lock went to my wife's motorcycle. She needed a helmet lock for it. Wonder how many people see what's locking the helmet to the bike and wonder "WTF is Project ChildSafe!?"