PDA

View Full Version : Joining 2A organizations

repubconserv
01-22-2011, 6:45 PM
I am soon going to be contributing money to CGF and joining some organizations. NRA, SAF and GOA all look good to me, but after some research I heard some bad things on all of them... I want your opinion. CGF seems like a no brainer, but what about the others? I've read on different gun forums that they all have their downsides, such as they do not oppose certain ridiculous legislation. Opinions?

dustoff31
01-22-2011, 6:53 PM
I'd have no problem donating to CGF and SAF. Any 2A fight worth having will somehow have SAF and increasingly, CGF associated with it.

IMHO, GOA talks a good game. And that's about the extent of it. They talk about how they will not compromise, and then when they don't get anything done, they talk about how it's because they won't compromise.

You'll get a lot more bang for your buck by taking whatever you were going to give GOA and giving it to CGF/SAF.

Paladin
01-22-2011, 7:30 PM
Join the NRA and their CA state affiliate, the California Rifle & Pistol Association.

A lot of people trash the NRA. The GOA/GOC make it one of their primary ways of raising funds. But unlike those two orgs, the NRA is a member run organization. If you're an Annual member for 5+ years, or a Life member, YOU vote to decide who's on the NRA's Board and the Board is who decides who heads the NRA and the direction it goes.

Politically, at the national level, the NRA is feared because their members call and write when the NRA says to. The NRA is the only thing that will keep Congress from passing a hicap ban after the Tucson shooting and that is with "only" just under 4,000,000 members out of 90,000,000 gun owners in the US. If we could get only 10% of all gun owners to join for, let's say 5 years (2 House elections, 2/3rds of Senate elections, and 1 presidential election), we could stuff the fed courts w/people like Scalia, Alieto, Roberts, and Thomas and we could ROLL BACK a ton of fed gun control laws. Not to mention all the good that would also take place at the state level (not sure if the NRA is active in local elections). With just 10% of all gunnies, the NRA would increase its size by 125% to 9,000,000 members.

On the national level (and most other states), the NRA is on the offensive, getting firearms transportation on trains and CCWs in federal parks passed in the past two years. This year may bring national CCW reciprocity. Chris Cox, head of the NRA-ILA has already warned Congress not to exploit Tucson to try to pass gun control legislation. http://www.NRAILA.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=14669

Spend some time each week reviewing info at: http://www.nraila.org/ to see what they're up to.

Politically, at the state level, in Sacto, they, and now the CRPA, are extremely active and important. But most of the work they do is behind the scenes and defensive. But that's just because gunnies are in the minority here in the PRK.

Legally, I didn't like the way they took more credit than they were due in the McDonald case. But the NRA fought in the courts Prop H and won. They and the CRPA fought the mail order ammo ban in courts and won last week:
http://www.NRAILA.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6137
More info at: http://www.calgunlaws.com/

Are they perfect? No. Is joining the NRA vital? Definitely.

Veggie
01-22-2011, 7:32 PM
Don't forget about the Madison Society they played a good part in McDonald.

Tack
01-22-2011, 7:35 PM
The NRA and CRPA are the 500 pound gorillas in the lobbying discussion. Join them. Please write and call when they ask you to do so. I send them and GOA and SAF money.

Please do what you can do.

wildhawker
01-22-2011, 7:37 PM
Madison supported Nordyke, not McDonald.

My money goes to CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPA.

wildhawker
01-22-2011, 7:52 PM
Rather than donate to GOC or GOA, It would be cheaper to buy a decent printer and send yourself a newsletter every month with a headline of "NRA - The Great Compromisers".

repubconserv
01-22-2011, 7:54 PM
So Im hearing no on GOA, but NRA, CRPA, CGs are good? If so I will be donating to these 3/ becoming life member ASAP. thanks for any input

EDIT:Rather than donate to GOC or GOA, It would be cheaper to buy a decent printer and send yourself a newsletter every month with a headline of "NRA - The Great Compromisers".

:D I see

uyoga
01-22-2011, 8:36 PM
I donate as follows: CGF, CRPA, SAF, NRA. All of these organizations have been active in securing Californian's 2 A rights in the courts, so they get the money.

pointedstick
01-22-2011, 8:39 PM
Yup, that about sums it up!

Paladin
01-22-2011, 9:26 PM
Rather than donate to GOC or GOA, It would be cheaper to buy a decent printer and send yourself a newsletter every month with a headline of "NRA - The Great Compromisers".:smilielol5:

MP301
01-22-2011, 10:27 PM
I donate as follows: CGF, CRPA, SAF, NRA. All of these organizations have been active in securing Californian's 2 A rights in the courts, so they get the money.

This is my go to list for membership and donations as well. All are equally important for different reasons...but they are all important.