PDA

View Full Version : legal to hunt with a simi auto

GnarlyMilk
01-22-2011, 5:41 PM
A few people told me that it might not be legal to hunt with a simi auto in ca. When I asked why they said there may be a legal issue if I hunt with anything more that a 5 round mag. Can some one point me in the right direction to find the answer.

Thanks

cope113
01-22-2011, 5:48 PM
can't use a shotgun capable of holding more than 3 rounds.

However rifles are a different story. theres no regulation from DFG for using a rifle for hunting that can hold more than 5 rounds.

Basically Shotgun= no more than 3. Rifle= what you deem prudent at the time.

Helpful_Cub
01-22-2011, 5:49 PM
There's nothing wrong with hunting with a semi-auto in California. There is also no hunting law limiting the size of a rifle magazine. Even shotguns are allowed to be semi-auto however they are limited to how many shells your gun holds based on what your hunting. 3 shells for birds and small game. Note there is no limit on Non-game such as Coyotes.

GnarlyMilk
01-22-2011, 5:56 PM
Thanks! Now there telling me that it is "lame" to use a simi auto rifle to hunt with, and I will be made fun of if I show up with a M1A scout squad. I would sort of agree If the gun looked liek a full blown tactical millitary rifle but this is just the M1a scout squad http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=149 <--pic what do you guys say ? be honest :)

Fjold
01-22-2011, 5:56 PM
There are no magazine restrictions or action type restrictions listed for rifles. There are restrictions for shotguns for big game.

Chapter 3. Big Game

ß353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.

(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353 b through h, Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see Section 354, Title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation. For purposes of Section 353, a "projectile" is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.

b Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.

© Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.

(d) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take elk and bighorn sheep.

(e) Except as provided in subsection 354(j), crossbows may be used to take deer and wild pigs only during the regular seasons.

(f) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle only tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles as described in subsection 353(a) equipped with open or "peep" type sights only except as describled in subsection 353(k).

(g) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle/archery tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles with sights as described in subsection 353(f); archery equipment as described in Section 354; or both. For purposes of this subsection, archery equipment does not include crossbows, except as provided in subsection 354(j).

(h) Methods of take within the California condor range. Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to use or possess projectiles containing more than one percent lead by weight while taking or attempting to take any big game (as defined in Section 350, Title 14, CCR) in those areas described in Section 3004.5, Fish and Game Code.

(1) Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to possess any projectile containing lead in excess of the amount permitted in subsection 353(h) and a firearm capable of firing the projectile while taking or attempting to take any big game within the area described in subsection 353(h). The possession of a projectile containing lead in excess of the amount allowed in subsection 353(h) without possessing a firearm capable of firing the projectile is not a violation of this section.

(i) Except as otherwise provided, while taking or attempting to take big game under the provisions of Section 353 or Section 354, Title 14, CCR, it is unlawful to use any device or devices which: 1) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal; or 2) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal. Devices commonly referred to as "sniperscopes", night vision scopes or binoculars, or those utilizing infra-red, heat sensing or other non-visible spectrum light technology used for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal or providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal are prohibited and may not be possessed while taking or attempting to take big game. Devices commonly referred to as laser rangefinders, "red-dot" scopes with self-illuminating reticles, and fiberoptic sights with self illuminating sight or pins which do not throw, cast or project a visible light onto an animal are permitted.

Helpful_Cub
01-22-2011, 6:15 PM
Thanks! Now there telling me that it is "lame" to use a simi auto rifle to hunt with, and I will be made fun of if I show up with a M1A scout squad. I would sort of agree If the gun looked liek a full blown tactical millitary rifle but this is just the M1a scout squad http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=149 <--pic what do you guys say ? be honest :)

While I like my Rem 700, I fully plan to start using my Rem R-25 more. I just love the AR-platform.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-r-25/model-r-25-rifle.aspx

duckman1
01-22-2011, 6:18 PM
You need new friends.

Helpful_Cub
01-22-2011, 6:29 PM
"I've got friends in low places
Where the whiskey drowns
And the beer chases my blues away
And I'll be okay
I'm not big on social graces
Think I'll slip on down to the oasis
Oh, I've got friends in low places" - Garth Brooks

Doheny
01-22-2011, 7:16 PM
legal to hunt with a simi auto

Only in Simi Valley.

bob7122
01-22-2011, 7:20 PM
gtg i've hunted with semi auto's no prob there

rromeo
01-22-2011, 7:25 PM
Your friends suck.

CavTrooper
01-22-2011, 7:31 PM
Do your "friends" hunt?

Outside of California the AR is one of the most popular hunting rifles around. For some reason Californians seem to hate ARs.

The M1A is fine rifle to hunt with, especially if you can get it to shoot well.

Vtec44
01-22-2011, 7:33 PM

Hahahaha... I hunt with my AR15. One time I met another hunter, and he called it an "urban assault rifle". I laughed and told him to have a good day.

As others stated, semi-auto's are legal to hunt as long as it is CA legal. There's no round restriction on rifles.

Annonymous
01-22-2011, 7:35 PM
Only in Simi Valley.

:rofl2:

GnarlyMilk
01-22-2011, 9:09 PM
Yea they hunt but for some reason there big bolt action guys, not sure why. I have not hunted before but I wanted to start and I personaly like semi autos and im not really into bolt action, there nice guns just not my style :). I was thinking of the springfield scout squad, but now helpfulCub has me looking at the Rem R-25 ( nice gun )

Thanks guys, I will be hunting with a semi auto, just got to figure out what one to get now haha

VaderSpade
01-22-2011, 11:45 PM
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/VaderSpade/Pa240515-1.jpg

jaime7818
01-23-2011, 7:42 AM
Yea, you do need new friends.

TrailerparkTrash
01-23-2011, 9:03 AM
I'm gonna have to shoot some coyotes and pose a picture of the corpses with my AK and 100 round drum magazine! That would be a hoot.

Also, this question brings me to mention a similar MYTH within our hunting world.... That MYTH being that many people believe that in California, one can not use a ".222, .223/5.56, 22-250 etc..." caliber bullet for deer hunting. I've been in Turner's and have overheard store display-case-commandos telling customers that a ".22 caliber bullet" is illegal to hunt deer with.

A .22 cal RIMFIRE is illegal to hunt deer (big game) with. This myth about not being allowed to use a .22 cal CENTERFIRE bullet on big game in Cali has been around for decades.

toby
01-23-2011, 9:20 AM
The only place in Kali you can hunt with a simi auto would be in simivalley!...;)

Helpful_Cub
01-23-2011, 9:55 AM
Yea they hunt but for some reason there big bolt action guys, not sure why. I have not hunted before but I wanted to start and I personaly like semi autos and im not really into bolt action, there nice guns just not my style :). I was thinking of the springfield scout squad, but now helpfulCub has me looking at the Rem R-25 ( nice gun )

Thanks guys, I will be hunting with a semi auto, just got to figure out what one to get now haha

As far as I can figure out the R-25 is only option for a whole assembled factory gun using the AR platform in .308 (they also have other caliber options). It also has a little softer recoil than my 700 because of the buffer spring spreading out the kick. I bought mine through Turners in Rancho Cucamonga and they were able to has a company outside of CA put a bullet button on it and then ship it into the store for me. Panther DPMS and Armalite AR-10 lowers are on the ban-list so you would have to assemble the gun yourself and without a factory warranty. Granted I only want to use this on big game, my AR-15 is much lighter and makes for a much cheaper gun to shoot for taking coyotes. Also it was about twice the cost of my 700, they're not cheap.

motobean95
01-25-2011, 9:19 AM
I have the 6.8 stag it is a bad *** gun. It comes out to being a .277 so for cal deer it is fine. I wanted the .308 but it is spendy! As for your friends and anyone else that gives you a hard time just explain to them that the rifle they are using once was a combat rifle. Every gun in history started there and has changed with technology. Usually I put it that way when I hear crap from people then they tend to have a change of heart. My gun it fast reliable low recol which gives me fast accuate follow up shot and can with stand any weather. I have bolt actions but prefer the AR

mif_slim
01-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Should warn you before getting into hunting, a lot of folks are hard-core hunters and they don't like changes. Their great x 10 grandpa hunted with bolt action so that is their way and they see none other is as good. Also, the bolt action is the only rifle capable of shooting sub-moa(not true) so it will hit where you aim and there for translate into a cleaner kill.

Those explain above will not open thier eyes to see that time has changed and will argue with you, heck een go tooth-n-nail with you if they have too.

Just watch out for those folks, they will spread fud so you won't spread the news that it is legal to hunt with semi and mag can be more then 5rd.

Full Clip
01-25-2011, 10:35 AM

I'd say that anybody who laughs at that is just jealous.

pdq_wizzard
01-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I'd say that anybody who laughs at that is just jealous.

I might laugh at him after a few hours at 6K feet going up and down the draws :D at 8 1/2lbs that sucker will get heavy.

But if that is what you want go for it!

Cpl_Peters
01-25-2011, 12:15 PM
an m1a scout is a great hunting rifle but too heavy for my likes. when i got into hunting i was tempted to use my m1a which would do the job no problem in the caliber and accuracy department. i opted for a winchester m70 (30-06) and a marlin 336 (30-30) instead because it was much lighter and hunting (at least for me) involves a lot of hiking around with very little contact with what i am trying to hunt (maybe i just suck).... if you dont mind lugging a m1a around then go for it. the scout is an awesome hunting or tactical platform.

mwunsch
01-25-2011, 1:06 PM
I hunt with 2 BAR's: (amongst others)

.243 lightweight stalker
7 mag Grade II safari

Love them to death (pun inteneded) last year made a perfect shot at 290yds with the 7 mag, accuracy is not a problem.

mif_slim
01-25-2011, 2:26 PM
I hunt with 2 BAR's: (amongst others)

.243 lightweight stalker
7 mag Grade II safari

Love them to death (pun inteneded) last year made a perfect shot at 290yds with the 7 mag, accuracy is not a problem.

Did you copy me?! I have those exact guns too! LOL. I shot a grey squarrel at 287 yards..haha..

bpnclark
01-26-2011, 7:54 AM
Outside of California the AR is one of the most popular hunting rifles around. For some reason Californians seem to hate ARs.

I usually go out of state 2-3 times a year and spend at least 3-4 weeks hunting outside of CA. California is the only state Iíve seen people walking around (I mean hunting) with a AR or SKS. Most people donít like ARs because they think your hunting with a 223.