PDA

View Full Version : What is being done to combat bad Laws in Cali?

exs4
08-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Currently, I'm in AZ. and very much enjoying my right to CCW! :D
However, my contract in AZ. will end soon,
and I will have to go-back to "The people's republik of Kalifornia" for the time being.
Are there any efforts by the NRA and other organizations to
make Cali a "Shall issue state" for CCW?
Also what is being done to battle SanFrancisco's law against handgun ownership
in S.F. county?
Thanx for the info!

The Soup Nazi
08-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Right now theres an effort to apply for CCWs in non restrictive counties while digging up dirt through records requests on the non-issue counties. I believe we beat the San Francisco handgun ban as things won't go through because a judge ruled that it was in violation of pre-emption laws.

50 Freak
08-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Currently, I'm in AZ. and very much enjoying my right to CCW!

Well, I'm here in CA and also enjoying my CCW and the nice weather.....What's the temp out there in AZ?:D ;) :D

mikehaas
08-22-2006, 11:35 AM
and I will have to go-back to "The people's republik of Kalifornia" for the time being.
Also what is being done to battle SanFrancisco's law against handgun ownership
in S.F. county?
Thanx for the info!
The San Francisco Handgun Ban was defeated in court...
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2006&summary=proph

California has the most active grassroots pro-gun network of any state - the 100% volunteer California NRA Members' Councils...
http://calnra.com/

An official program of NRA and the only state to have such a network, it operates closely with NRA's top staff in the state supporting NRA's goals. Califronia is the only state to have it's own NRA office in the state capitol. (plus a smaller So. Cal. office run by the administrator of the Members' Council network.) NRA employs Trutanich-Michel to litigate 2A issues in the Golden State:
http://trutanichmichel.com/

I'm sure other states have virulent pro-gun NRA efforts in swing too, but in response to your question, CA's is among the best if not THE best. The Members' Councils have produced this legislative Management System for NRA at no cost:
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml
(It outputs legislative info in multiple formats, a few examples of which are linked to from this post. it also creates an exportable "mini-box" that anyone can easily put on their website, like Ramon has done at the http://calguns.net/ homepage - thank you Ramon!).

If you move here, I hope you will join in the fight by volunteering with your local Members' Councils network...
http://calnra.com/volunteer/
(That page identifies your local MC by zip code and tells you the location and time of the MCs monthly meeting. PLEASE ATTEND THOSE MEETINGS.)

And welcome.

Mike

exs4
08-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Well, I'm here in CA and also enjoying my CCW and the nice weather.....What's the temp out there in AZ?:D ;) :D

a nice, cool 95!

Ryoushi
08-22-2006, 3:21 PM
Better to just move to another state it's horrible here in Calif.
http://photos.surfline.com/albums/upload/reef/normal_reef2.jpg
Just another day in San Diego California

Fate
08-22-2006, 3:39 PM
Better to just move to another state it's horrible here in Calif.
http://photos.surfline.com/albums/upload/reef/normal_reef2.jpg
Just another day in San Diego California
:eek: If that's the best we have to offer, I'M MOVING!

Paladin
08-22-2006, 4:58 PM

Go to www.CaliforniaCCW.org As you ck out the different county subforums, you'll see that many counties are virtually "shall issue," whereas most of the large urban counties are viturally "no issue," with many counties in between. Thus what county -- and even what city (yeah, it can get complicated, but that's life as a gun owner in the PRK) -- will have a big impact on your ability to defend your own & your family's lives away from home. For example, if you've got a clean criminal record and build up a record of being a competitive club shooter, a CCW from OC should be doable, whereas if you live across the border in LAC you've still got virtually no chance.

Go to that forum and spend a LOT of time doing your homework BEFORE you move. Otherwise you may find out that if you had moved 15 miles north of your place of work instead of 15 miles south, you could have gotten a PRK CCW.

Also, MegaDittos to what Mike Haas wrote.

exs4
08-22-2006, 5:40 PM
Go to www.CaliforniaCCW.org As you ck out the different county subforums, you'll see that many counties are virtually "shall issue," whereas most of the large urban counties are viturally "no issue," with many counties in between. Thus what county -- and even what city (yeah, it can get complicated, but that's life as a gun owner in the PRK) -- will have a big impact on your ability to defend your own & your family's lives away from home. For example, if you've got a clean criminal record and build up a record of being a competitive club shooter, a CCW from OC should be doable, whereas if you live across the border in LAC you've still got virtually no chance.

Go to that forum and spend a LOT of time doing your homework BEFORE you move. Otherwise you may find out that if you had moved 15 miles north of your place of work instead of 15 miles south, you could have gotten a PRK CCW.

Also, MegaDittos to what Mike Haas wrote.

Firstly, I'm NOT just some green guy coming to Cali for the 1st time
from another state, who doesn't know anything about how it is in Cali.
I have lived in Cali for 40+ years. I am temporarily working in AZ.
And LOVING it I might add!
Secondly, All this stuff about, you can ccw in this county,
but not that county, is BS... Do You REALLY want to live this way???
So again, I will re-state my question:
What is the NRA and other organizations doing to make the entire
state of California a "Shall Issue" state like AZ. TX, Fla etc?
One fellow supplied several links to various organizations,
and I appreciate his effort,
however, that did-not answer my question...

The Soup Nazi
08-22-2006, 5:45 PM
No...you can CC in any county. Its "You can GET a CCW in this county but you can't get a CCW in this county"

exs4
08-22-2006, 5:47 PM
No...you can CC in any county. Its "You can GET a CCW in this county but you can't get a CCW in this county"

Unfortunately, You're Right!
So is anything being done about this situation?

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 5:49 PM
As the NRA recently demonstrated with the off-list thing, they frequently do quite a lot but don't talk to the rank and file about it.

If you want to do something, then join your local NRA Members Council and see what you can do in your county.

If there were any initiatives presently underway, I think folks here would know about 'em...

exs4
08-22-2006, 6:23 PM
Sincerely-speaking: Can You please re-state that in laymans english?
Why can't I get a straight answer?
If You guys are satisfied with the way things are in Cali.
Then I don't belong in Cali...

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 6:27 PM
Sincerely-speaking: Can You please re-state that in laymans english?
Why can't I get a straight answer?
If You guys are satisfied with the way things are in Cali.
Then I don't belong in Cali...

No one's said they're satisfied with it.

However, our state doesn't seem to react when people write letters, call up their representatives, etc.

The only straight answer available, is join up with your local NRA member's council and get active at a local level with other folks who're active locally.

There's nothing presently on the bill list to strike down the AWB or whatnot. There WAS a proposed bill earlier this year (by LaSuer, I believe) to eliminate the AWB, but it was obliterated in short order.

In short, until the current politicians are out of office, the state's laws aren't going anywhere. If you want to be part of the solution, you're going to have to pitch in and work at trying to get folks out of office.

exs4
08-22-2006, 6:43 PM
Sorry, if I've sounded like a jerk about-it.
I'm just frustrated!
It's pretty weird being able to go to another state,
take a safety-class,
and then be legally-allowed to defend yourself,
your family, and other innocents.
Yet, in my home-state of California, if you try to do that,
you are considered a Criminal...
So-far, all the answers I've been getting about my questions are,
You need to join this organization, or that organization.
this comunity, or that comunity. Go to this link, or that link.
Can't you give me a better answer than that?
I already paid $750 cash to be a lifer at NRA.
Still I have no idea what NRA or other organizations
are acutally doing to re-secure our 2nd amendmant rights in California.
I'm sure they are doing great things,
but yet no-one has so-far given me specifics relating to California.
When the liberals want to change a law, they goto Supreme Court,
sue the hell out of everybody, and get their way. Why aren't WE doing-that?
So again, what is acutally being done in California?
If you again just answer that I need to join this or that,
without directly answering my question
then please don't waste my time o.k?
I sincerely hope that the majority of attitudes of Cali Gun owners
are NOT-like what I've seen in this thread so-far.
Because if they are, then we are truely in danger of losing ALL
of our Gun rights in California.
If you guys can live with how things are going, I can't...

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 7:01 PM
So again, what is acutally being done in California?
If you again just answer that I need to join this or that,
without directly answering my question
then please don't waste my time o.k?
I sincerely hope that the majority of attitudes of Cali Gun owners
are NOT-like what I've seen in this thread so-far.
Because if they are, then we are truely in danger of losing ALL
of our Gun rights in California...

Dude, if I knew any more than what I've said, I would have told you. Yes, we ARE in danger of losing all our gun rights. The direct answer is that I have no knowledge of anything going on right now, that's PRO-gun in CA. There's a mild bill still on the plate on the 'support' list here, but it's late in the legislative session and most of this is done already. You can look down below.

http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml

About every other week, someone in an outside state jumps on this board and starts ranting about how if we just got off our posteriors, suddenly California would completely change and we'd be a free state. You're starting to go that route. I understand your frustration, but you're not gaining anything by yelling at US because nothing is happening in Sacramento.

hitnrun
08-22-2006, 7:01 PM
Your comparing CA to Fla, and TX!?!?? That's like comparing apples and goats! We are trying to fight a statewide battle just to have and keep rifles with detachable magazines...you think we (or NRA, et al) are gonna be able to effectively work on shall issue anytime soon? We need to worry about keeping ownership of our firearms before we try and tackle carrying them CCW. It's unfortunate, but that is the sad state of affairs we have to deal with!:rolleyes:

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 7:07 PM
Your comparing CA to Fla, and TX!?!?? That's like comparing apples and goats! We are trying to fight a statewide battle just to have and keep rifles with detachable magazines...you think we (or NRA, et al) are gonna be able to effectively work on shall issue anytime soon? We need to worry about keeping ownership of our firearms before we try and tackle carrying them CCW. It's unfortunate, but that is the sad state of affairs we have to deal with!:rolleyes:

Actually, I believe what he's asking is, why aren't there any actual OFFENSIVE attacks on the anti-gun establishment. It's a fair question, just phrased incorrectly for the audience/context.

The most recent offensive attack that had a chance, was the RKBA initiative. It failed to get enough signatures to go onto the ballot. I'm hoping they'll try again next year, or whenever the next signature period starts.

Personally, I would like to see more offensive attacks - even if they don't gain anything, it may distract the anti's from whittling down on what we have. On the other hand, I doubt the insular California political structure will tolerate much pro-gun legislation being shoved at the houses...

exs4
08-22-2006, 7:17 PM
Thanx for the info..
As I've already said(problably too-much!)
Even though I am currently working outside the state,
I am a Californian...
Sorry to offend with my questions.
I don't know what's happening in SacTown.
I just want to know what's happening,
rather than having people tell me to join this or that
or look at this or that link.
Maybe it's just a matter of wanting things spelled-out simply.
Cause if things ARE advancing, then that's great!!!!

Dude, if I knew any more than what I've said, I would have told you. Yes, we ARE in danger of losing all our gun rights. The direct answer is that I have no knowledge of anything going on right now, that's PRO-gun in CA. There's a mild bill still on the plate on the 'support' list here, but it's late in the legislative session and most of this is done already. You can look down below.

http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml

About every other week, someone in an outside state jumps on this board and starts ranting about how if we just got off our posteriors, suddenly California would completely change and we'd be a free state. You're starting to go that route. I understand your frustration, but you're not gaining anything by yelling at US because nothing is happening in Sacramento.

exs4
08-22-2006, 7:24 PM

That's very sad my bro'...

anotherone
08-22-2006, 8:23 PM
Actually, I believe what he's asking is, why aren't there any actual OFFENSIVE attacks on the anti-gun establishment. It's a fair question, just phrased incorrectly for the audience/context.

I'd say the whole off-list movement is not just an offensive, it's an open rebellion. The off-list phenomenon is like nothing I've ever seen in this state and has really brought a lot of pro-gun folks and grassroots effort together. Maybe I'm being rather extreme here, but I think that the off-list lowers have almost become a rallying call for 2nd amendment grassroots efforts in California.

And umm... oh yeah, off-list lowers make very accurate and fun rifles too :D!

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 11:31 PM
I'd say the whole off-list movement is not just an offensive, it's an open rebellion. The off-list phenomenon is like nothing I've ever seen in this state and has really brought a lot of pro-gun folks and grassroots effort together. Maybe I'm being rather extreme here, but I think that the off-list lowers have almost become a rallying call for 2nd amendment grassroots efforts in California.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's not doing anything to the LAW, but what it's definitely doing is sharply reducing the number of people who would vote against us. It'll sound strange, but I think the most pro-gun thing any of us can presently do is take off-list rifles to the range and pass out fliers to anyone who gets interested:

http://www.cheapspeech.com/ar-flier.pdf

That's what I've been up to.

gotgunz
08-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Not to stir the pot, well maybe alittle.
You state that you are a 'native' and your work in Arizona is ending soon so it sounds like you are returning "home".
If so, what county is "home"? You may be coming back to a county that issues which would make your motives a mute point (so to speak). If it is an issuing county just show them your Az permit (dont know if this helps) and move on. If not perhaps a move to a county that issues?
It appears that the counties that refuse to issue also have the highest home cost (as well as crime rates, go figure) and the ones that do (go north "young" man!) have much more favorable housing cost and lower crime.
Do I see a trend here?

anotherone
08-23-2006, 1:03 AM
(go north "young" man!)

Go west young man, haven't you been told? California's a land of women, whiskey and gold!

Sorry just had to say that :D!

chris
08-23-2006, 2:16 AM
i have to say i did not relize how much is being done in this state by the NRA and the people here. until the whole OLL issue started and the DOJ got caught with their pants down. are we any closer to repealing the AW ban here? not yet. people need to get off their collective arses and vote the morons out of office. it has been done before it can happen again.

also we are in a state of maintaining our rights from further erosion. i think we are one election away from total ban on ownership of firearms. this november will tell that decision wether gun owners care or not.

we have had alot of success in defeating bills before they leave the house or commity of origin. there are alot of just plain dumb bills being written anyway and we point that out.

i did not know about OLL's until recently but i really don't want one. i have my bushmaster. but i still care about the ability of others that cannot enjoy shooting these fine rifles.the OLL helped bring in young blood into shooting. the ban was supposed to eliminate the want to own one. now the OLL has blown up in their face and are trying to screw people. the OLL issue has brought a positive addition to what they want to be gone. this is why i'm happy to see the OLL issue do what it has done.

i think we can turn the tide and it seems to be turning ever so slowly. heck that is the way we lost them so the same tatic can work for us.

i do believe the person who started this thread is in the NRA which is good. now you need to do more. write letters, phone calls and so on. YOU must be inlvolved in this state to keep the firearms freedoms we have left alive if not we will lose and lose big.

mikehaas
08-23-2006, 10:35 AM
...If you want to do something, then join your local NRA Members Council and see what you can do in your county...
hear, hear. it's also a great way to learn more about what's going on in your own backyard.

For example, just this last election cycle, a supposedly "pro-CCW" candidate for sheriff campaigned on that issue and attacked the incumbent. His campaign had gun guys here and on other forums stirred up, thinking "Here's our chance to get CCW..." etc. This went on for months.

Then it started to come out that the incumbent is the most pro-CCW sheriff in the state or arguably so - having a 92% issuance record! Starting this kind of fight in a county where we've already won is not "fighting smart". If 2 pro-CCW candidates split the pro-gun vote, irt clears the path for an anti-gunner to just slide on in. And it doesn't show much loyalty to that incumbent. "Gee, thanks for issuing more CCWs than anyone else. Now we're going to vote for your opponent."

Anyone who attends the Orange County Members' Council monthly meeting...
http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/haasmcshowwebpage.cgi?mc=orange
...knew the score from the gitgo.

Oh, and thank you, Sheriff Mike Corona. Glad you trounced the guy.

Mike

midnitereaper
08-23-2006, 1:08 PM
If you like the freedoms given to you under the Constitution and Bill of Rights then I suggest you stay out of commifornia. If you wish to conform to the sheep minded then welcome.

grammaton76
08-23-2006, 1:27 PM
If you like the freedoms given to you under the Constitution and Bill of Rights then I suggest you stay out of commifornia. If you wish to conform to the sheep minded then welcome.

Spoken like a subject. I guess you either don't vote or have given up on it making any kind of difference.

Myself, I don't welcome sheep. I'd rather that they stay out - if the hippies had stayed out in the 60s and 70s, Sac probably never would have degenerated into the cesspool it is now. We certainly don't need to ADD more to their numbers.

On the other hand, more pro-gun folks on the front lines over here is never a bad thing. They just need to bear in mind that they're in occupied territory, and aren't the only ones annoyed at it.

Kestryll
08-23-2006, 1:32 PM
Go west young man, haven't you been told? California's a land of women, whiskey and gold!

Sorry just had to say that :D!

I shoulda been a cowboy!
I shoulda learned to rope and ride!

midnitereaper
08-24-2006, 7:39 AM
Spoken like a subject. I guess you either don't vote or have given up on it making any kind of difference.

Myself, I don't welcome sheep. I'd rather that they stay out - if the hippies had stayed out in the 60s and 70s, Sac probably never would have degenerated into the cesspool it is now. We certainly don't need to ADD more to their numbers.

On the other hand, more pro-gun folks on the front lines over here is never a bad thing. They just need to bear in mind that they're in occupied territory, and aren't the only ones annoyed at it.

subject? Voting isn't till November I think, and yes I will be voting. As to giving up. I am close but not there yet.

Ryoushi
08-24-2006, 9:35 AM
I shoulda been a cowboy!
I shoulda learned to rope and ride!

Which way does that old pony run?
I said which way does that old pony run?
And how much us that saddle, and a straight shootin gun?
Which way dows that old pony run?