PDA

View Full Version : Steyr USR CA legal?

supdawg
08-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Is this considered the same thing as the AUG? Is the receiver legal in CA?

Mudvayne540ld
08-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Its not banned by name I dont think.... But it has a thumbhole stock and a foward pistol grip with an open magazine well. so no, the receiver is not legal here in the PRK. Even if you take of the FPG, it is still not legal.

*Edit* Also, I dont think that will be over 30'' when complete.

anotherone
08-22-2006, 12:06 AM
I could be wrong, but it appears that the Steyr USR is not on the list. I'm not sure how you would build this up in a Cali-legal fashion though. If you pin the mag it would very difficult to load, and there's really no way to go gripless because the grip is part of the frame. I suppose where there's a will there's a way though.

6172crew
08-22-2006, 5:37 AM
There is a OLL for the AUG as well, they are made for the Aussi Defense Dept.

I think Sarco sells them for $1000 (yes the receiver only) I think a AUG parts kit is around $1500 or so.

wilit
08-22-2006, 5:31 PM
Also, I don't think I've ever seen anything less than a 30 round magazine for one.

gibbet
08-22-2006, 6:36 PM
USRs came with 9 rnd mags.
Chris at BSP knows more.

supdawg
08-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Its not banned by name I dont think.... But it has a thumbhole stock and a foward pistol grip with an open magazine well. so no, the receiver is not legal here in the PRK. Even if you take of the FPG, it is still not legal.

*Edit* Also, I dont think that will be over 30'' when complete.

If it is not named, why would the receiver itself be illegal? I realize a completely built USR with all it's evil features would be illegal, but then again, so would an AR15 buildup with all it's evil features, but those OLL are legal. So why would the USR receiver itself not be legal?

blkA4alb
08-22-2006, 10:53 PM
If it is not named, why would the receiver itself be illegal? I realize a completely built USR with all it's evil features would be illegal, but then again, so would an AR15 buildup with all it's evil features, but those OLL are legal. So why would the USR receiver itself not be legal?
I'm just going off memory here since I don't have a picture right now. The receiver would be illegal because it is semiauto, centerfire, has an open magwell and a thumbhole stock. All of that on the actual receiver would make it illegal.

Again, I could be wrong since I'm not even sure which part is considered the receiver.

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Main thing you'd have to do, in this case, is work out a fixed-mag kit for it. With evil features built in, you're stuck in pinned-magsville.

Skammy
08-23-2006, 1:57 AM
I'm just going off memory here since I don't have a picture right now. The receiver would be illegal because it is semiauto, centerfire, has an open magwell and a thumbhole stock. All of that on the actual receiver would make it illegal.

Again, I could be wrong since I'm not even sure which part is considered the receiver.

Receiver and stock are two different peices that can be seperated..

Not trying to be rude but - not knowing/not sure + advice on the legality of something dont mix

megavolt121
08-23-2006, 8:31 AM
Originally Posted by blkA4alb

Receiver and stock are two different peices that can be seperated..

Not trying to be rude but - not knowing/not sure + advice on the legality of something dont mix

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. blkA4alb clearly stated he wasn't sure, but BACKED up his reasoning. Everyone knows that a receiver and stock are two different pieces. IIRC Some receivers (I believe an HK/clone) have the frame of a pistol grip integrated.

Scammy, do you know if this is the case with this rifle? Do you own a Steyr USR or have a picture of the receiver in front of you?

This is exactly the BS I was referring to in this post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38392). I just don't understand why people feel the need to attack each other on this forum. Unless you have a USR or a detalied picture of one, you would be in the "not knowing/not sure + advice on the legality of something dont mix" crowd.

6172crew
08-23-2006, 8:48 AM
http://www.sarcoinc.com/rifles-receivers.html#steyer;)

Like I said, Sarco has em.....even a pic of one:eek:

SemiAutoSam
08-23-2006, 9:03 AM

I saw their AR15 series receivers also but those they wont sell to anyone or any FFL in the PRC not sure about the STEYER AUG receiver however.

On the AR15 Receiver first the guy at Sarco said it was against California law and then after I mentioned to him that unless its listed by make and model its fair game so after that he just said its company policy.

I would not be surprised to hear the same about the AUG receiver.

6172crew
08-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Sam, Your out of state FFL fu is weak.:p Im sure one of our resident out of state FFLs could help you in your quest for a Superior Arms lower or AUG receiver.

I think there are other places that carry the Aussi Aug not just SARCO(that applies for the lower they carry also. ;)

Skammy
08-23-2006, 1:46 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. blkA4alb clearly stated he wasn't sure, but BACKED up his reasoning. Everyone knows that a receiver and stock are two different pieces. IIRC Some receivers (I believe an HK/clone) have the frame of a pistol grip integrated.

Scammy, do you know if this is the case with this rifle? Do you own a Steyr USR or have a picture of the receiver in front of you?

This is exactly the BS I was referring to in this post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38392). I just don't understand why people feel the need to attack each other on this forum. Unless you have a USR or a detalied picture of one, you would be in the "not knowing/not sure + advice on the legality of something dont mix" crowd.

I wasn't attacking anyone, and yes I do have Small Arms of the World 12th edition handy so yes I do have a picture of the receiver in front of me. :D
You can seperate HK rifles / clones grip/trigger pack from the receiver also ..

I found PJA Investments has a 20" semi AUG kit for 2000 add about 1000 to that for the receiver and DROS and tax and your going to spend more then 3000 dollars while you can get a USR on gun broker for around 2700 .. and you wouldn't have to worry about 922R :)

Now I want a USR :(

leelaw
08-23-2006, 5:50 PM
Thanks for jumping to conclusions and bashing a long-standing member.

supdawg
08-23-2006, 11:09 PM

Are these stamped or marked in any ways, Steyr or AUG? Because I'm a little concerned about how Sarco advertises them on their web page as Steyr AUG.

6172crew
08-24-2006, 5:25 AM
You would have to call them, although Im not sure how far you will get with them seeing how they wont send to CA.

There is a AUG forum and Im sure someone there could tell you what is written on the receiver.

I will tell you though as far as I know the Aussi one is a different make and model. They dont not call thiers an AUG.