View Full Version : Really old remington shotgun

08-21-2006, 10:55 PM
I have just come into posession of a really old remington shotgun. Made somewhere between 1908 and 1910. Still in fairly good shape. (aside from firing when you rack it too hard) It is the same thing as the model 10 12 guage, but it was made before they started calling it the model 10. From what I have read it was called the remington repeting shotgun. Does anybody have a clue as to what this is worth? It has a fairly low serial number 26xxx. It has been parkerized at some point so any collector value, I would guess, is probably gone.

08-23-2006, 7:46 PM
Post pics please

08-25-2006, 10:10 PM
I've got a couple of Model 10s, and have a fair bit of info on them. They typically have little to no collector value unless you have one of the high grades in pristine condition, or one of the riot/WW1 trench guns. The trench gun bayonet adapters are worth more than the sporting shotgun is, and an original trench gun is quite collectible.

Here's Remington's page on them:

And here are some scans of the history and takedown procedure:

The scans are a bit large (nearly 3 Meg total), but it's necessary to get the details clearly.

The Model 10 was Remington's first pump gun, and was pretty popular in its day, but it's hard to get some parts for now, particularly the action bar lock button/spring, which comes off sometimes. It's easy to take down, but detail-stripping it can be a bit of a challenge.

Designed by John Pederson, who worked with John Browning on some designs and was a very accomplished firearms designer in his own right, it's pretty good for an early pump, but many are not up to today's standards of reliability.

The stock has a bad tendency to crack and break right where the receiver mounts to it, and replacement stocks are expensive (and still prone to cracking). One of mine is a special grade #2 with a nicer stock, and it hasn't cracked, but it also doesn't have so many rounds down the tube.

It's also not unusual to see a lot of wear at the barrel takedown threads and the barrel fit adjustment bushings, if it's been used a lot or taken down a lot. The adjustment bushings can be battered enough that it's very difficult to get them to move at all. It's important to make sure the barrel fit is tight, with no wiggle, when the barrel's aligned.

Removing and replacing the bolt is a bit tricky, and takes some practice. Mine is kinda sensitive to how you stroke it, and jams pretty easily (reverse stovepipe of the live round) if you get too vigorous. The jam takes some time and both hands to clear.

Like most older shotguns, you don't want to shoot steel shot in them. I've had no problems with other modern ammo, but I haven't put a whole lot of rounds through mine.

I see them for sale for $200-250 at the gun show, and I always see the same ones every show. I wouldn't pay much more than $100 for one unless it was in pristine shape or was one of the higher grades. I've bought a few as parts guns for $50 and $70.

One of our local shops has had a somewhat worn one on the shelf with a repaired stock for $150 for months now. I'll be surprised if it sells, considering you can get a used Mossberg 500 for just a little bit more, and a new 500 with 2 barrels for $220.

The best source for parts is www.e-gunparts.com and ebay. Remington has no support for them whatsoever.

Interestingly, I watched a parts kit (everything but the receiver) sell on ebay once for nearly $300 - more than I've ever seen the complete shotgun sell for. I dang near stripped mine down and put it up for auction!

08-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Excellent post Max!

08-26-2006, 2:28 PM
Excellent post Max!

Thanks! Just trying to get back to the old calguns spirit!

I see questions a few times a year about Model 10s, so I've built this post up over the years. I should really make a web page for it.

Matt C
08-26-2006, 6:23 PM
Can you post the numbers/letters marked on the barrel by the receiver?

08-26-2006, 9:29 PM
Thanks Max That was some good info there. My camera is messed up at the moment otherwise I would post pics. Heres what I have on the barrel
Remington Arms Co, Ilion NY,USA Patent dates of feb 5 1903 and May 15 1905 Other than that the barrel just has the serial number 26xxx and says full on the side, which I assume, means it has a full choke barrel. No other markings that I can make out. Its has been parkerized so any light markings might not be visible. It does not thave the model 10 markings on the barrel. It does have the U above the serial number on the reciever. I figured its probably not worth a lot in its condition, but I was just kind of curious as to the real value being I picked it for under 100 bucks.

08-27-2006, 10:00 AM
$100 is a great price for one in decent shape. The reasonably priced ones usually have most of the bluing gone, which is probably why this one is parked.

The biggest functional problem with them is usually the barrel adjustment bushing on guns that have been shot a lot, but as long as the barrel fit is tight, it should be OK. The adjustment is often battered and frozen solid, and I've had one that I couldn't make budge.

Your slamfire problem's most likely a sticky firing pin in the bolt body. The bolt's a pretty complicated piece of machining, and I've found they're easiest to clean by soaking them in solvent for a while, then scrubbing them and hosing them out. Repeat as necessary.

Because the detail strip is a pain, it's pretty common to see these things with 100 years worth of crud built up in the nooks and crannies. The last parts gun I got was full of powder flakes.

Be sure to take a close look at the stock where the tang goes back into it to see if there are any cracks starting. If they are, it's not a bad idea to reinforce that area with pins and/or an epoxy like Acraglas. I've repaired one stock, but haven't shot with it yet to see if it'll hold.

I'm a big fan of inexpensive, quality guns, and this is a good example. I don't consider mine a home defense grade gun, but it's a fun shooter.

08-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks Max. No cracks on any of the wood. It almost looks too nice. I'm thinking its probably been replaced. It looks different than any of the pictures I have seen anywhere. Same shape on the stock but much darker stain than the rest. Then on the....Im not sure what its called, but ill call it the charging handle, it is smooth and has no grooves like the others I have seen. Ill get it cleaned up real good and go over it real well then take it out once in a while so it doesn't feel too neglected. Thanks for the info.