PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's Statement on HR308

jdberger
01-22-2011, 12:01 PM
http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov//images/user_images/mccarthy-magazine_bill_presser-jan18-3.JPG

From Left

James Winkler, Chair of Faiths United to Prevent Gun Violence (http://www.umc-gbcs.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=frLJK2PKLqF&b=4909851&ct=9033509)
Kristen Rand, Legislative Director of the Violence Policy Center
Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign (http://www.bradycampaign.org/)
U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY04)
Richard Aborn, the 1993-1996 president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
Jackie Hilly, Executive Director of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence (http://www.nyagv.org/)
Josh Horwitz, Executive Director of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence (http://www.csgv.org/about-us)/ Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence

(Note that with the exception of the Brady Campaign, these are all organizations which recieve funding from the Joyce Foundation (http://www.joycefdn.org/content.cfm/programs-gun-violence))

Rep. McCarthy, Advocates Introduce Bill to Ban High-Capacity Ammo Magazines (http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=155&sectiontree=189,155&itemid=1719)Tuesday January 18, 2011

WASHINGTON DC – U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY04) was joined by leading national advocates for reducing gun violence today to discuss the introduction of – and a plan to advance – her legislation to ban high-capacity ammunition magazines such as that used in the tragic shooting in Tucson, AZ.

The bill was scheduled to be formally introduced in the House of Representatives later in the evening. It is being carried in the Senate by Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ), who will introduce it later this month.

The bill brings the nation to the same 10-round-maximum standard used in four other states today, as well as nationwide for a decade while the previous federal assault weapons ban was in effect. It closes a gaping loophole in the previous ban in which magazines manufactured before the law went into effect could still be sold or transferred.

“I know what it’s like to have tragedy brought to your life in a split second by a madman with high-capacity ammunition magazines,” said Rep. McCarthy, whose husband was killed and son seriously wounded by a gunman on the Long Island Railroad in 1993. “I’m working to stop it from happening again. We need comprehensive reform to reduce the number of people hurt or killed by gunfire in America, but one simple way we can do that is by keeping the worst tools of mass murder away from the general public. This nation has come together before to support this simple, commonsense measure, and it is the law in several states right now. It is a small sacrifice that law-abiding gun owners can make once again in order to increase everyone’s safety.”

In addition to the bill’s precedent in state and federal law, prominent Second-Amendment rights advocate Robert A. Levy said in a published report last week, “I don't see any constitutional bar to regulating high-capacity magazines. Justice [Antonin] Scalia made it quite clear some regulations are permitted. The Second Amendment is not absolute.”

The bill, which was distributed to House members on Thursday before the holiday weekend, is being introduced with 42 co-sponsors (list below). Rep. McCarthy and the advocates expect to win over many more through comprehensive grassroots and Capitol Hill campaigns involving direct outreach to House members and staff, email and social media activism, state- and district-level organizing and traditional media outreach.

U.S. Sen. Lautenberg said: “High-capacity gun magazines are tools for murder. This common-sense legislation would make it more difficult for someone to carry out a killing spree. Before 2004, these ammunition magazines were banned, and they must be banned again. I am proud to partner on this effort with Rep. McCarthy, who has worked tirelessly throughout her career to curb gun violence in our nation.”

U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) said: "The tragic shooting in Arizona illustrates what can happen when criminals and dangerous individuals have access to high-capacity ammunition magazines, weaponry that belongs in the hands of law enforcement and the military. Congress should restore the ban on ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, which was part of the assault weapons law that expired in 2004. I look forward to working with Rep. McCarthy and my Senate colleagues to determine the best way to renew that ban.”

U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand(D-NY) said, "This proposal has worked here in New York State and could be a model for the country. I have been proud to work with Congresswoman McCarthy on a number of common sense, reasonable legislative proposals to eliminate this kind of horrible gun violence, including legislation to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. I also commend New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and the Violence Policy Center for their critically important advocacy."

U.S. Rep Jim Moran (D-VA08) said: "We cannot escape the thought that lives may have been spared in Tucson had a high-capacity magazine not been so readily available. It is our responsibility to balance the rights of gun owners with the rights of people like nine year old Christina Taylor Green to live a full and productive life. While we will not be able to prevent every gun death, the bill introduced today takes a first step towards protecting the public from the next psychopath bent on mayhem."

Richard Aborn, the 1993-1996 president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence who was instrumental in organizing support for the 1993 Brady Bill requiring federal background checks and the 1994 federal assault weapons ban, said: "Restricting an average citizen's ability to load more than 10 bullets in a gun in no way violates their second amendment rights. Sensible gun control saves lives. Had the ban on large magazines still been in place it would not have been possible for Jared Loughner to legally purchase the large magazine he used to murder and wound in broad daylight. The lesson from this tragedy is obvious."

President Paul Helmke of the Brady Campaign said: “Providing access to high-capacity magazines is beyond the pale. Banning them is a matter of public safety. There is no Second Amendment or God-given right to be able to maim and kill your fellow Americans with military-style ammunition. When the high-capacity magazine restriction was in place until 2004, it was effective. If our nation can agree that machine guns, cop-killer bullets, and plastic guns ought to be banned, surely we can agree that high-volume magazines have no place in our society. As Jim Brady has said in response to this excuse of convenience, there is nothing convenient about living your life in a wheelchair.”

Legislative Director Kristen Rand of the Violence Policy Center said: “Semiautomatic firearms loaded with high-capacity magazines – holding 15, 33, 50 or even 100 rounds of ammo – make mass shootings possible. High-capacity magazines are the common thread that runs through the most notorious and deadly mass shootings in America, including the Long Island Railroad massacre, Luby’s, Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Fort Hood. Representative McCarthy’s simple and effective measure will save lives.”

Hildy Saizow, the President of Arizonans for Gun Safety, one of the state members of States United to Prevent Gun Violence, said: "While praying for the victims of this senseless tragedy and their families, we are also more determined than ever to create a society where the deranged, the disgruntled, and the dangerous can no longer have access to lethal firepower. It was the extended magazine, easily available throughout our community, that enabled so many people to be shot, killed or injured in less than a minute. We must reestablish the federal ban on large capacity ammunition magazines.”

Executive Director Jackie Hilly of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence said: “The heroes of the Tucson shooting knew instinctively it was critical to stop Jared Loughner and act quickly to take away his high capacity magazine, before he was able to reload and start shooting again. Their actions saved lives during this horrific tragedy because we now know he had several additional high capacity magazines with him. New York State law has limited civilian access to high capacity magazines for many years, but we cannot prevent tragedies like Tucson without federal help. New York State law enforcement, parents and citizens want this sensible federal law enacted to ensure the safety of our children and communities. Banning high capacity magazines will help prevent dangerous people from getting easy, unfettered access to lethal firepower. Congress must act now."

Chair James Winkler of Faiths United to Prevent Gun Violence said: “Gun violence is taking a huge toll on our society and the easy accessibility of large capacity ammunition magazines causes more people to be killed or injured. While we continue to pray for the families and friends of those who died and for the recovery of those injured, we cannot stop at only offering our prayers and sympathy. We simply cannot allow this kind of firepower in our society.”

The following 42 House members are original co-sponsors of the bill as of the afternoon of Jan. 18:

Rep. Gary Ackerman

Rep. Robert Brady

Rep. Steve Cohen

Rep. Judy Chu

Rep. David Cicilline

Rep. William Lacy Clay

Rep. Gerald Connolly

Rep. John Conyers

Rep. Donna Edwards

Rep. Keith Ellison

Rep. Anna Eshoo

Rep. Sam Farr

Rep. Jane Harman

Rep. Alcee Hastings

Rep. Jim Himes

Rep. Mazie Hirono

Rep. Chris Van Hollen

Rep. Rush Holt

Rep. Mike Honda

Rep. Steve Israel

Rep. James Langevin

Rep. Nita Lowey

Rep. Carolyn Maloney

Rep. Doris Matsui

Rep. Betty McCollum

Rep. Jim McGovern

Rep. Gregory Meeks

Rep. George Miller

Rep. James Moran

Rep. Jerrold Nadler

Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton

Rep. Bill Pascrell

Rep. Chellie Pingree

Rep. Mike Quigley

Rep. Jose Serrano

Rep. Brad Sherman

Rep. Jackie Spear

Rep. Louise Slaughter

Rep. John Yarmuth

Rep. Henry Waxman

Rep. Maxine Waters

Rep. Anthony Weiner

Rep. McCarthy, who was first elected in 1996, began a career in activism to reduce gun violence after the 1993 incident in which deranged gunman Colin Ferguson opened fire in a crowded Long Island Railroad commuter train, using 15-round magazines to kill six including her husband and injure 19 including her son. Like shooter Jared Loughner in Tucson, Ferguson was stopped by bystanders when he stopped shooting to reload – strengthening the case for smaller magazines with less bullets.

It's interesting to note that LCAV didn't send an emissary.

Finally: Note the CDNN catalog in Kristin Rand's hands. Great catalog!

jdberger
01-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Interesting tidbit from Rep. McCarthy's website.

In response to the murders at Virginia Tech, the Antis claimed that there should be a mechanism to make sure that people committed to mental institutions had their information put into the NICS database. This way, folks like the shooter wouldn't "slip through the cracks" and be able to pass a NICS background check. They did the, "There should be a law" dance and actually got a bill passed.

After the shooting an Arizona, the same Antis claimed that the bill was flawed because it only provided grants to States that forwarded the information, it didn't go further.

Of course, they neglected to mention the author of the "flawed" legislation.

National Instant Criminal Background Check Database (NICS) Enhancement

A number of states and some Federal agencies do not provide all disqualifying records to the FBI needed for a complete background check for gun purchases. Congresswoman McCarthy had legislation enacted to correct this gap.

The NICS Improvement Amendments Act: Congresswoman McCarthy’s legislation provides grants to states to upgrade information and identification technologies for firearms eligibility determinations and require all Federal agencies that have records on persons for whom it is illegal to purchase a firearm to provide that information to the Attorney General for inclusion in NICS. On June 13, 2007, the House passed H.R. 2640 by voice vote. The Senate passed on the bill on December 19, 2007 and the President signed it into law on January 8, 2008. The Fiscal Year 2009 Appropriations Bill included $10 million for Improvements to NICS. The Fiscal Year 2010 Appropriations Bill included $20 million for Improvements to NICS.

hoffmang
01-22-2011, 12:26 PM
If you look closely, demographics are not on their side...

-Gene

GOEX FFF
01-22-2011, 12:37 PM
President Paul Helmke of the Brady Campaign said: “Providing access to high-capacity magazines is beyond the pale. Banning them is a matter of public safety. There is no Second Amendment or God-given right to be able to maim and kill your fellow Americans with military-style ammunition. When the high-capacity magazine restriction was in place until 2004, it was effective. If our nation can agree that machine guns, cop-killer bullets, and plastic guns ought to be banned, surely we can agree that high-volume magazines have no place in our society.

There he goes again....
Who the hell ever said that the 2nd gives a right to kill Americans???
Military style ammunition???? That's a new one he's pulled out of his back side. Next he'll say that laughner used API 9mm. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What a lunatic.

"When the high-capacity magazine restriction was in place until 2004, it was effective.

Effective, how Paul??? No crime was ever prevented from such failed law.

Also, how is this nation agreed to ban toy guys?? They're still legal .....Machine guns aren't nationally agreed upon to be banned in this country either, and no legally registered MG has ever been used in a crime but once, and that was by a police officer. Cop killer bullets?? Are we backsliding to 1993 with more fallacies??
Its utterly sicking that they use Laughner as their golden child for their personal gain for totally unrelated, irrelevant gun control issues.

Shiboleth
01-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Ok, new drinking game. You take a shot everytime you see reasonable, sensible, or common sense. Anyone think they might be sober after reading that drivel?

Do they really have to mention Mcarthy's past in every article that ever refers to her, twice in his case?

CalNRA
01-22-2011, 12:43 PM
U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand(D-NY) said, "This proposal has worked here in New York State and could be a model for the country. I have been proud to work with Congresswoman McCarthy on a number of common sense, reasonable legislative proposals to eliminate this kind of horrible gun violence, including legislation to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. I also commend New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and the Violence Policy Center for their critically important advocacy."

so much for the pro-gun Gillibrand from New York. :rolleyes:

jdberger
01-22-2011, 12:59 PM
If you look closely, demographics are not on their side...

-Gene

But they'll finally be able to join one of the largest most effective lobbying organizations in Washington, DC.

AARP

hoffmang
01-22-2011, 1:46 PM
But they'll finally be able to join one of the largest most effective lobbying organizations in Washington, DC.

AARP

Exactly!

-Gene

kermit315
01-22-2011, 2:30 PM
am I the only one that finds the bill number ironic?

Librarian
01-22-2011, 2:30 PM

AARP

I resemble that remark!

(Although I went through a couple of iterations of complaining letters to get them to stop sending their junk to me. Someplace on their web site it used to be possible to find their corporate anti-gun positions.)

dwtt
01-22-2011, 2:31 PM

Yeah, she decided to toe the party line rather than support the 2nd A. I guess that was her way of thanking the Democrat party for the Senate seat given to her.

Smokeybehr
01-22-2011, 2:35 PM

Nope. Not at all.

Dreaded Claymore
01-22-2011, 2:39 PM

No you are not. I want to hang this bill up and shoot it with 7.62x51mm.

robcoe
01-22-2011, 2:43 PM
Ok, new drinking game. You take a shot everytime you see reasonable, sensible, or common sense. Anyone think they might be sober after reading that drivel?

Do they really have to mention Mcarthy's past in every article that ever refers to her, twice in his case?

Sober? I am more worried about alcohol poisoning.

hoffmang
01-22-2011, 2:51 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if the majority party intentionally gave her that bill number as a hint. It's going to be shot...

-Gene

chief003
01-22-2011, 2:58 PM
Looks like Ms. Rand (second from the left) is a CDNN shopper...who would have guessed?!

On the other hand, anyone that works for an organization called the 'Violence Policy Center' needs access to quality merchandise found in establishments similar to CDNN.

yellowfin
01-22-2011, 3:42 PM
Do they really have to mention Mcarthy's past in every article that ever refers to her, twice in his case?It's her only credential. In the world of leftist stupidity, victimhood equals moral authority.

TKM
01-22-2011, 3:46 PM
Can we get that picture on card stock?

RRangel
01-22-2011, 5:28 PM

She was actually a phony from day one, heck, before day one.

Bobula
01-22-2011, 5:33 PM
If it passes they also need to put a time constraint on reloading

Look how many puppies and babies this guy could do in with just 10's
NxzrahUUTi8

xr650r
01-22-2011, 5:49 PM
If we get a federal may ban, we should legislate that the shooter must fire the first 9 shot into the air to warn his single victim.

Knives will be limited to three slashes and one stab each.

What'd I win???

Lead-Thrower
01-22-2011, 5:57 PM
If it passes they also need to put a time constraint on reloading

Look how many puppies and babies this guy could do in with just 10's
NxzrahUUTi8

Wow, ready to rock before the empty mag even hits the ground. :eek:

yellowfin
01-22-2011, 6:31 PM
so much for the pro-gun Gillibrand from New York. :rolleyes:We hate her in New York too. The machine pushed her on us; just like California it's automatic--not a single commercial on the air for her competitor, and the press does everything to see to it that it's a guaranteed win.

RomanDad
01-22-2011, 7:18 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the majority party intentionally gave her that bill number as a hint. It's going to be shot...

-Gene

"We're trying, were trying to get away from that language.... "

ZZEB-8IKKRI

jonyg
01-22-2011, 7:31 PM

Hahahahaha I didn't even notice. Epic.
This won't actually get anywhere right?

RRangel
01-22-2011, 7:58 PM
Hahahahaha I didn't even notice. Epic.
This won't actually get anywhere right?

Look at the list of names. With that kind of support, no.

ptoguy2002
01-22-2011, 9:11 PM
Ms Rand is holding a CDNN catalog...

jdberger
01-22-2011, 9:44 PM
Look at the list of names. With that kind of support, no.

It's an idiot fest.

C'mon. They don't even have Dennis Kucinich as a sponsor. How serious can it be?

:p

steelrain82
01-22-2011, 10:00 PM
What is a CDNN catalog

pMcW
01-22-2011, 10:27 PM
What is a CDNN catalog

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

Carnivore
01-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Ok ok ok I know it is silly but I had too. Never mix beer and photoshop. :biggrinjester:

http://usera.ImageCave.com/Carnivore/mccarthy-magazine_bill_presser-jan18-3.jpg

LittleChickie
01-22-2011, 10:40 PM
To the extent that hate speech, vitriolic language, etc., was the driving force behind the Tucson shooting, shouldn't we be considering restrictions on the 1st Amendment? Perhaps registration of keyboards, TV cameras & mikes? Maybe just journalists to use no more than 10 letters of the alphabet? A 10 day cooling off period before writing a report? How about a slogan, like "Use an adjective Go to Jail" or something... I've just starting working on this so if you have some ideas, pile on.

hoffmang
01-23-2011, 1:37 AM
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

:TFH:The other side has given up and is taking bribes from mail order companies to create artificial shortages!!!!:TFH:

-Gene