PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan V15CA any good

Oguzkaya
08-21-2006, 9:38 PM
Hello All,
I am shopping around to get one of those California legal AR-15. I come a cross rifle Vulcan V15CA sold by Atlantic firearms. They are selling these $899 and looks pretty cool on the picture. Has anyone experienced with this rifle and please let me know about your thoughts.

Thanks in Advance.

Kaya :confused:

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 9:41 PM
Kaya,
I do not suggest getting that Vulcan gun. Vulcans are known to have sketchy quality. Get yourself a real metal lower and if you want a carbon one than get it in addition. There have been cases where the carbon threads have stripped out, in addition the repeated takedown of the rear pin could cause excessive wear on the carbon lower. Not to mention that it is a sealed magwell, get a regular lower and if you choose you can run no evil features and use detachable magazines. You can't do that with the Vulcan very easily.

Oguzkaya
08-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. As you may notice, I am not very familiar with AR-15 but I love the way they look and shoot and I can't wait to have one:) Ideally I want some thing that has a good quality, the look with 20rd magazine. I know in CA we can not have more than 10rd magazine that's why vulcan attracted me.

Do you have suggestion a name brand that comes as complete rifle and legal in CA. Or can you please give me a list of parts ( lover, upper receiver etc ) so I can try to build my self.

One last favor, where can buy/order them ?

Many thanks

Kaya

223-Sniper
08-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Hello All,
I am shopping around to get one of those California legal AR-15. I come a cross rifle Vulcan V15CA sold by Atlantic firearms. They are selling these $899 and looks pretty cool on the picture. Has anyone experienced with this rifle and please let me know about your thoughts.

Thanks in Advance.

Kaya :confused:

I have one its a good riffle the only complaint I have is that I had to replace the handgard right out of the box.

Shane916
08-21-2006, 11:14 PM
You can order a stripped lower from several places.

Two I would recommend are

Cold War Shooters

and

DD's Ranch

They both have FFL's on file that are local to you and will transfer the stripped lower.

Then you can easily build it up with a Lower Parts Kit and buy an upper from anywhere. Be sure to fix the magazine if you are going with a pistol grip set up.

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. As you may notice, I am not very familiar with AR-15 but I love the way they look and shoot and I can't wait to have one:) Ideally I want some thing that has a good quality, the look with 20rd magazine. I know in CA we can not have more than 10rd magazine that's why vulcan attracted me.

Do you have suggestion a name brand that comes as complete rifle and legal in CA. Or can you please give me a list of parts ( lover, upper receiver etc ) so I can try to build my self.

One last favor, where can buy/order them ?

Many thanks

Kaya
There aren't really any complete rifles for sale built off of metal lowers.

-You will need a lower receiver, any brand will be fine. They are all mil-spec. I personally own 2 High Standard lowers and an Ameetec.

-You will need a lower parts kit which has all the pins and parts (trigger included) that you will need to complete the lower.

-You will need a buttstock that includes the buffer and spring (if you want to use detachable magazines get a fixed stock not collapsable.)

-Depending what style build you would like to do you can choose an M4 style upper (16 inch barrel) or a varmint bull barreled upper (20" or longer.) Again, if you want to use detachable magazines get an upper with no flash hider.

-You would also need some sort of sights (optics or irons.)

If you want a pistol grip or any other evil feature you will need to buy a fixed magazine kit. SemiAutoSam and Prince50 both make nice kits. For that 20 round look Armalite makes a straight 10 round magazine or you could get the Bushmaster 10 round magazine like most of us here use.

It would help to know your location to direct you where to buy a lower, but you can order a lower online and have it shipped to a willing FFL. Here are two websites to check out that stock lowers.

www.ddsranch.com

www.coldwarshooters.com Member Pirate14 here.

www.tenpercentfirearms.com Wes here is a great guy and stocks many if not all of the parts that you would need to complete a build.

Oguzkaya
08-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Again thank you very much all the detailed information. I live in SF bay area and I wasn't clear what is legal or not legal here in CA.

If I understood correctly,

1-) I can have detachable 10rd magazine, but I can not have pistol grip nor adjustable buttstock.
2- If I want to have a pistol grip and or adjustable buttstock, my magazine has to be fixed and I have to load from the top.

With these two option, this rifle will be legal in CA. I kind of consult one of the FLL dealer here in Milpitas and he told me that DOJ is saying pinned or locked fixed mags amay not be acceptable.

What is your thoughts on the locked or pinned mags.

Thanks Again,

Kaya

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Again thank you very much all the detailed information. I live in SF bay area and I wasn't clear what is legal or not legal here in CA.

If I understood correctly,

1-) I can have detachable 10rd magazine, but I can not have pistol grip nor adjustable buttstock.
2- If I want to have a pistol grip and or adjustable buttstock, my magazine has to be fixed and I have to load from the top.

With these two option, this rifle will be legal in CA. I kind of consult one of the FLL dealer here in Milpitas and he told me that DOJ is saying pinned or locked fixed mags amay not be acceptable.

What is your thoughts on the locked or pinned mags.

Thanks Again,

Kaya
The closest place that stocks lowers is the San Jose Gun Exchange. Thats where I got my lowers.

In regard to the legalities. If you want to have a detachable magazine you cannot have a pistol grip, flash hider, collapsable stock, forward pistol grip, or a grenade launcher. Here is the law regarding assault weapons in california. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm

The DOJ has flip flopped its opinion this entire time. What your FFL told you is just the DOJs latest opinion. The law has not changed. I still shoot my rifle once a week with a pistol grip and pinned magazine.

Oguzkaya
08-22-2006, 12:05 AM
I checked the coldwarshotter web site and seen stag 15
http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=10

I am thinking to order the whole thing with fixed magazine since the price appears to be good. Only think I am not sure 5.56 caliber. Are these same as 223 ? or one has more advantage versus other one ? Also do you know FFL deal will do the paper work if I go with Stag?

Thanks Again.

Kaya

blkA4alb
08-22-2006, 12:17 AM
http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=10

I am thinking to order the whole thing with fixed magazine since the price appears to be good. Only think I am not sure 5.56 caliber. Are these same as 223 ? or one has more advantage versus other one ? Also do you know FFL deal will do the paper work if I go with Stag?

Thanks Again.

Kaya
The caliber marked on the lower receiver means nothing, it just a marking. The 5.56 is also loaded hotter, sometimes up to 15,000 more PSI than .223. Have a good read here and it should answer all your questions.

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm#diff

Call the Gun exchange up and talk to them, I'm sure they would be more than happy to accept the transfer for you.

Jicko
08-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Post your location, then it will be easier for us to help you. (Set that up in your profile)

Thanks Again.

Kaya

PS. Btw, VULCAN * S U C K S *

anotherone
08-22-2006, 12:58 AM
Not only is the quality low on the Vulcan V-15CA but due to the latest DOJ position you may find yourself registering your Vulcan V-15CA as an "Assault Weapon" in the future. To my knowledge the V-15CA magazine is pinned with a blind roll-pin and epoxy. The latest opinion of the DOJ is that this method of using Epoxy and a roll pin is no longer considered "Permenant".

In light of the present situation you should obtain a stripped off-list lower and build either a pinned magazine rifle or a featureless detachable magazine rifle. Buying a complete pinned rifle from Cold War Shooters wouldn't be a bad idea either. In any event, you never know what's going to happen in the future so better buy quickly while you're still able to.

guns_and_labs
08-22-2006, 9:08 AM
I've got a Vulcan, and it's worked just fine. The upper wasn't done well (parts kit, not Vulcan), but the lower keeps chugging along just fine.

And you get the nifty letter saying it's legal, FWIW.

PM sent with more info.

Jack_Bauer
08-22-2006, 1:31 PM
my .02 I bought my Vulcan back in December when the whole OOL was just beginning to pick up steam. WHen I put it together, a lot of the holes were out of spec and i had to file them until I could get it to fit. Also, the channel where you put the hammer was too narrow and the hammer would not align with the hole so another few hours of filing later it fit but was very very tight, so the first time I took it out shooting I got a few FTF and FTE's. Because of the out-of-spec issues it's a biatch to take parts on and off my lower.

Cliff notes: Don't touch it with a 10 foot pole

PIRATE14
08-22-2006, 1:39 PM
We sell complete rifles....ie they left the factory as such...we ship them to your FFL in a few stages of disassembly.

We can set you up w/ complete parts kits so you are ready to go....

Complete rifles: STAG, RRA, LMT, DSA, CMMG, and JLD just a few off the top of my head......

Not everything we have has made the web pages yet.......

CTT2
08-22-2006, 1:58 PM
I've got a Vulcan, and it's worked just fine. The upper wasn't done well (parts kit, not Vulcan), but the lower keeps chugging along just fine.

PM sent with more info.

Whats this letter you talking about? Can I get a link because I also have one of those fixed mag Vulcan lowers.

Electric Factory
08-22-2006, 3:01 PM
[QUOTE=guns_and_labs]I've got a Vulcan, and it's worked just fine. .

Ditto, I too have a V-15 Vulcan complete rifle[ along with the nifty DOJ letter] that has chugged along like a sewing machine through 750 rnds so far. It just keeps getting better in the accuracy dept, no failures to eject in 750 rnd. :D

guns_and_labs
08-22-2006, 6:33 PM
Whats this letter you talking about? Can I get a link because I also have one of those fixed mag Vulcan lowers.
Well, it used to be posted in with the other OLL stuff on this site, but it's all silently disappeared under a cloud of mystery.

No more OLL education, it seems.

C.G.
08-22-2006, 8:04 PM

E-mail Vulcan and they'll e-mail you a copy.

killuminati
08-22-2006, 8:16 PM
Why would you buy a Vulcan V15CA with the ********y sealed magwell when you can get a pinned complete stag from cws for the same price.

Got Stuff?
08-27-2006, 4:10 PM
Hello all.

A couple months ago I bought a couple of Vulcan Carbon Fiber V-15 stripped lowers. My reasoning was that hey, they're only $69 each and they are 40% lighter and 40% stronger than the forged lowers. After hearing all the "bad experiences" and rude comments about these lowers, I decided to check mine out to see what was really going on. I heard good things too but it's the bad things that really get your attention.

To make a long story short, while building them up, all the parts fit perfectly and no problems were encountered and they shoot just the same.

Here are the specs on both of my Vulcan Carbon Fiber V-15's

* Vulcan Carbon Fiber V-15 stripped lower
* Both had a RRA lower parts kit with NM two stage trigger
* One had a Hogue grip and the other had a Tango Down Battle Grip
* Stag 3H 16" upper
* 8 position RRA collapsible stock
* Bushmaster fixed 10 round mag

Some are concerned about the threads for the buffer tube stripping out or cross threading. In my opinion, if these threads strip out on you or cross thread then it's a matter of human error and NOT a matter of product quality.

Some are also concerned about the buffer tube area on the lower cracking or breaking if the rifle is dropped on the buttstock. Needless to say I didnt try this, HAH. It could very well happen, I just don't know. However, as I am not in the sandbox fighting insurgents on a daily basis, this level of durability or real world battlefield durability is really not an issue for me.

Anyway,
I would like to personally thank everyone here for the wealth of information that has been provided here in this forum. A true asset to the firearm community.

...Robert...

Oguzkaya
08-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Hello Every One,
Thank you very much each of you for the valuable comments and suggestions. Today I made my decision and ordered a complete Stag-15 with pinned 10 round bush master mag from CWS:D . Now the question is which ammo to use :eek: ? If you pay top $$ you can get the fancy ones but I think I will go with the cheapest one ( Wolf 223 55gr 20 round for $3.10) .
I will let every one knows about my experience and thanks again:cool: .

Kaya

C.G.
08-29-2006, 1:32 AM
Hello Every One,
Thank you very much each of you for the valuable comments and suggestions. Today I made my decision and ordered a complete Stag-15 with pinned 10 round bush master mag from CWS:D . Now the question is which ammo to use :eek: ? If you pay top $$ you can get the fancy ones but I think I will go with the cheapest one ( Wolf 223 55gr 20 round for $3.10) .
I will let every one knows about my experience and thanks again:cool: .

Kaya

Amazes me how people don't have problems spending money for guns, but then they get cheap on ammo.
Shoot less, buy better ammo!

Oguzkaya
08-29-2006, 1:41 AM
I thought you spend a money and buy a decent rifle so quality of the ammo won't be an issue ( cheap or expensive ). Can you please be more specific why you say don't use cheap ammo? I can't find any other reason other than the cheap ammos are dirty.

Sorry for the questions but you are dealing with a beginner here :)

Got Stuff?
09-01-2006, 4:41 PM
Some cheap ammo is very dirty and somewhat less accruate than good ammo. If I'm sighting in a rifle or if I was competing in a match, I would use the best ammo. Whenever quality and accuracy matters, use the good stuff. However, when I'm bump firing at beer cans and milk jugs, I use the cheap stuff.

...Robert...