PDA

View Full Version : Thank god I found this site (Almost did something stupid)

Thrillbilly
08-21-2006, 9:23 PM
First off I just wanted to thank the members of this site, for all of the good information they post. My story started earlier this year, I went in to a local gun shop all set to buy a SU-16. While waiting to be helped I made a comment about how I wish that I had not moved back to California, as I wanted an AR-15. One of the sales people heard me and said well you could always get this. He showed me a sealed mag Bushmaster. I said no thanks I wanted something with an open mag. I then stated I wanted to purchase a SU-16; he went in back to look for one. While he was looking the other person behind the counter said you could always build yourself an AR-15. I replied how could I do that here in California. He promptly showed me a stripped lower receiver. I asked him if it was legal as I thought that you could not purchase lowers in California (never owning an AR I was not familiar with any of the legal specifics). He replied that these were legal for now. Now I am sitting there with all kinds of great ideas of how I am going to have an AR in California legally. So I asked him so once the DROS is done I am good to go as far as building it? He replied yes, but that I would probably have to register it (at that point I was sold). I paid the money and went home all excited. The next Sunday I went shooting with my buddies (one of which is a LEO) and was telling them about the purchase. My LEO buddy said sweet but that he was going to check with a couple of friends to see what was up with me being able to buy a lower. He called me later that week and said he checked and that there should be no issues with me building my new riffle and not to by an upper as he had an early B-day gift for me. I was relieved and promptly ordered a lower parts kit and a stock. My LPK and stock came three days later, so we built the riffle. I went to another store to get some mags and got talking to the owner. This guy told me that my riffle was not legal and that I should disassemble it, furthermore he went on to tell me that there was no such thing as legal non listed lowers in this state and that I had nothing more than an expensive paperweight. I went home thinking WTF and promptly got on the net to see if I could find out any info on this. I ended up finding this web site and after extensive reading ordered the kit to pin the mag. My kit came and I pinned the mag. At this point I was thinking thank god I didnít take it out to shoot. I am now thinking I should of bought the SU-16 instead, I am also thinking I should transfer out of this state so I can have a non pinned riffle and not have to deal with all these laws which do not make any sense in the first place.

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 9:31 PM
Glad to hear we could help. I'm also glad that you didn't make the mistake and take it out shooting. Your FFL needs to learn the laws better, you should take the time to print out some useful information (like the FAQ) and give it to him. Educate him (or her) so that s/he doesn't tell other customers wrong information (setting them up for multiple felonies.)

You should keep the lower and if you want sell the rest of the parts of your AR and get an SU-16 if your not confident in knowing the laws. If you havn't you should really read the FAQ, it spells it all out for you. You can find it in the Gun Resources.

Fate
08-21-2006, 9:45 PM
Just go with the MonsterMan rifle grip, fixed stock and variation of muzzle device that isn't a flash suppressor. I've got the MM grip and a faux flash hider from kurtskustomfirearms.com on mine. Dropping the mag is FAR sweeter than breaking it open.

Thrillbilly
08-21-2006, 9:51 PM
Just go with the MonsterMan rifle grip, fixed stock and variation of muzzle device that isn't a flash suppressor. I've got the MM grip and a faux flash hider from kurtskustomfirearms.com on mine. Dropping the mag is FAR sweeter than breaking it open.

I think I am going to keep it pinned. The reason is that I have the M4 6 position stock and the upper my LEO buddy gave me has the 11.5" barrel with the 5.5" flash suppressor. I think for detachable mags I will either get a Mini-14 or get the SU-16. What I really want to know is what I can do to help the cause. At first I was thinking of just getting a transfer, but that would require me to move again :mad: . Is there any chance of getting these ridiculous laws changed?

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 9:55 PM
Dropping the mag is FAR sweeter than breaking it open.
It depends on the application, the AR that I have assembled now has a pistol grip and fixed magazine. It was built for slow, accurate shooting. I would rather have the control of the pistol grip than the ability to quickly change the magazine, and with the bipod on the front breaking it open and loading is a breeze.

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 10:00 PM
I think I am going to keep it pinned. The reason is that I have the M4 6 position stock and the upper my LEO buddy gave me has the 11.5" barrel with the 5.5" flash suppressor. I think for detachable mags I will either get a Mini-14 or get the SU-16. What I really want to know is what I can do to help the cause. At first I was thinking of just getting a transfer, but that would require me to move again :mad: . Is there any chance of getting these ridiculous laws changed?
There is a chance that the laws could start to turn in our favor, care to post some pictures of you rifle? :D

Thrillbilly
08-21-2006, 10:16 PM
There is a chance that the laws could start to turn in our favor, care to post some pictures of you rifle? :D

Any issues of me posting the pics I have right after the build? I cant find my dig. camera (I think my wife has it in her car) at the moment to take new pics with the pinned mag.

hoffmang
08-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Thrill,

If you wait about 9 months things may look a lot different here in California for you and you pinned mag AR.

-Gene

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Any issues of me posting the pics I have right after the build? I cant find my dig. camera (I think my wife has it in her car) at the moment to take new pics with the pinned mag.
Don't post those pictures, and you should probably delete them. Its all good waiting for new (legal :p ) pictures.

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Thrill,

If you wait about 9 months things may look a lot different here in California for you and you pinned mag AR.

-Gene
9 months minimum :p :rolleyes: .

Thrillbilly
08-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Got the camera here are some pics.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/sashathelen/100_0457.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/sashathelen/100_0456.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/sashathelen/100_0450.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/sashathelen/100_0448.jpg

FreshTapCoke
08-21-2006, 11:50 PM
9 months minimum :p :rolleyes: .

Did I hear someone say two weeks?

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Looks like a fine rifle, have fun shootin' it! :cool:

Thrillbilly
08-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Thx....I put around 400 rounds through it this last sunday :D

adamsreeftank
08-21-2006, 11:54 PM
If you get the chance to shoot that rifle at night I bet it will have a nice big fireball each time you shoot.

hoffmang
08-22-2006, 1:15 AM
9 months != 2 weeks...

I'm being conservative :p

50 Freak
08-22-2006, 1:58 AM
Seeing how you just moved back into this state. I hope you had some grandfathered 30 rounders here (as in this state prior to 1994?).

If not, then even if you bought a Su-16 or a Mini-14, you could only put a 10 rounder in it.

So you might as well keep the pinned AR lower.

blkA4alb
08-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Seeing how you just moved back into this state. I hope you had some grandfathered 30 rounders here (as in this state prior to 1994?).

If not, then even if you bought a Su-16 or a Mini-14, you could only put a 10 rounder in it.

So you might as well keep the pinned AR lower.
He would've had to have had them prior to 2000, not 1994. The federal ban still allowed the sale of high capacity magazine, however no new ones could be produced. But yes, if you just moved here and brought your high cap magazine you did so illegally.

Mesa Tactical
08-22-2006, 11:16 AM
This is great. You spoke to two FFLs and both gave you different, but equally incorrect, answers.

The gun community is its own worst enemy.

PIRATE14
08-22-2006, 11:22 AM
This is great. You spoke to two FFLs and both gave you different, but equally incorrect, answers.

I was thinkin the same thing...........but one guy was partially right that sold him the lower, however this is the same guy that should have filled him on how to build it legally........

50 Freak
08-22-2006, 11:47 AM
He would've had to have had them prior to 2000, not 1994.

I knew it was one of those dates....he knew what I meant.:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Thrillbilly
08-22-2006, 1:57 PM

Yea that is what motivated me to seek out answers on my own. I found this site and started reading. But it is kind of funny how I used three sources for information and none of them (my LEO buddy included) knew the correct answer.

PIRATE14
08-22-2006, 5:28 PM
Yea that is what motivated me to seek out answers on my own. I found this site and started reading. But it is kind of funny how I used three sources for information and none of them (my LEO buddy included) knew the correct answer.

Confusion in the masses, isn't this same type of idea that brought us to where we are today..........:D