PDA

View Full Version : Sonoma County CCW

andytothemax
08-21-2006, 7:46 PM
----

hoffmang
08-21-2006, 7:47 PM
There is an actual carve out for you in the Penal Code for the fact that you have a restraining order I believe. I'll peek at the code and see if I can find the cite for you.

-Gene

hoffmang
08-21-2006, 8:05 PM
12031 (j) (2). I hear you on the risk of arrest, but if I were you, I'd risk arrest and carry a copy of the restraining order while completing your CCW application.

The Order will likely smooth even the hardest process.

-Gene

andytothemax
08-21-2006, 8:11 PM
12031 (j) (2). I hear you on the risk of arrest, but if I were you, I'd risk arrest and carry a copy of the restraining order while completing your CCW application.

The Order will likely smooth even the hardest process.

-Gene

Great minds think alike :)

WokMaster1
08-21-2006, 9:00 PM
Won't hurt to call the DA's office & set up an appointment & talk to them. I think that when you have shown that you have made a reasonable attempt to get the right info from the people in the know, ie law enforcement, they might take it into consideration if they happen to find out that you are carrying w/out a permit even if you have a restraining order in hand. They might give you the run around but at least it's worth a try.

Do you think that she has access to firearms? What about carrying pepper spray & learning martial arts? Keeps you fit & alert plus it can be stress relief...lol. Please be careful out there.

Paladin
08-21-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm looking to get in touch with any current Sonoma County CCW holders approved by Sheriff Bill Cogbill. I have a letter out to him re his CCW policy, but no response yet.

Go immediately to www.CaliforniaCCW.org Go to the Sonoma County forum and look there. Send an email w/the balance of your post to "Billy Jack," the main resident CCW expert there. He had been the resident expert for Packing.org before it went down hill a year ago. He'll guide you no matter what it takes.

adamsreeftank
08-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Go immediately to www.CalifornianCCW.org Go to the Sonoma County forum and look there. Send an email w/the balance of your post to "Billy Jack," the main resident CCW expert there. He had been the resident expert for Packing.org before it went down hill a year ago. He'll guide you no matter what it takes.

I think your URL is wrong. Try this:

http://www.californiaccw.org/

metalhead357
08-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Dont call, dont write-- WALK INTO the station and get the paperwork! I dont know of any classes for the CCW in Sonoma but they are offered in Napa and IIRC fairfield or vacaville..........

You'll never get it if you dont try; and only going from memory~ Sonoma is a "reasonable' county that has IIRC a "ok" record of issuing them.

Whatever else you do- get that restraining order filed ASAP with BOTH city and county~ and then if you do check called on packing they know you are trying to be at least somewhat legit.

I am NOT a lawyer; but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and like to play one on TV;) In other words- Above all else, SEEK A LAWYER FOR LEGAL HELP!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, that DOES mean to seek it even if you are a lawyer too:p After all- it IS YOUR FREEDOM we are talking about.

Good luck & be safe

Paladin
08-22-2006, 4:40 PM
I think your URL is wrong. Try this:

http://www.californiaccw.org/

That's what happens when I post after my normal bedtime. :o I'll edit my posting.

Thanks!

artherd
08-22-2006, 6:58 PM
Andy, shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance.

zinfull
08-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Well the Sonoma county CCW is set up as a "whole" They have this law enforcement panel of all the different areas, towns, city and county. They all seem to require the same training and requirements for issue. You need to take a class at SRJC or from ONE instructor outside the JC. CCW classes from outside the county area are not accepted. You also need a verified reason, DR's permission saying you can shoot a gun and a few other hoops. You can get one but they do not want to make it friendy.

Jerry

TonyNorCal
08-23-2006, 11:01 AM
I've looked into Sonoma County CCWs a bit...

If you'd like to talk to someone directly call the Sheriff's Dept and ask for investigations. Sonoma County sits somewhere between the urban Bay Area (virtually impossible...at least in San Francisco) and Mendocino County (almost shall issue) in regard to CCWs. If you ask around (local range) you'll find many say it's not worth your time applying. However, I suspect some of these negative stories are due to people not taking time/thinking through their statement of cause. I called the Sheriffs and talked for a bit with the secretary in Investigations (and she works with the people who make the decisions). She told me someone of someone who was granted one in the Cazadero area. Reason? People were tresspassing on his property, attempting to grow Marijuana, etc. She also mentioned any police reports can be helpful. The statement of cause is far and away the most important aspect of the application and should be given considerable thought and attention. She also mentioned that it's possible to apply NOT having taken the class yet. That way if you're denied you haven't spent a few hundred dollars.

I would call, speak to her or someone else in the proper department. Get as much info as you can about what constitutes sufficient cause (in their eyes). And like I said, really put some time, effort, brainstorming, etc into the statement part of the application.

Good luck.

metalhead357
09-19-2006, 10:03 PM
BTT & just wondering how the process is going?:confused: