PDA

View Full Version : GFSZ 1000

wrdavis
01-22-2011, 4:45 AM
Just pondering the 1000' number. There's a gun shop near a school in town and I wondered if it was outside the 1000'. From the looks the school would have been built long after the gun shop was around. Maybe the school needs to be moved. But my car's odometer measures 0.1 miles, not feet. Really difficult to measure a 1000' accurately, using common equip.

Seems if the govt was serious about enforcing some restriction, they would have defined a distance people can readily measure like .1 miles or .2 miles. But I'm guessing a 1000' just sounds so much better than 528' or 1056'. Lots of zeros--got to be good.

Of course 56' is nothing compared to where the heck does the GFSZ is actually defined as starting/stopping.

JDay
01-22-2011, 5:31 AM
1 mile = 5280'. That means that .1 miles is equal to 528'. However, you need to measure the distance from the school to the store in a straight line. You can easily do this with Google Earth, I would start from the schools sidewalk.

locosway
01-22-2011, 5:31 AM
Use your range finder you picked up at the gun store... :)

There's also maps too, I've heard of people using these things to measure distances from time to time.

Librarian
01-22-2011, 1:29 PM
Just pondering the 1000' number. There's a gun shop near a school in town and I wondered if it was outside the 1000'. From the looks the school would have been built long after the gun shop was around. Maybe the school needs to be moved. But my car's odometer measures 0.1 miles, not feet. Really difficult to measure a 1000' accurately, using common equip.

Seems if the govt was serious about enforcing some restriction, they would have defined a distance people can readily measure like .1 miles or .2 miles. But I'm guessing a 1000' just sounds so much better than 528' or 1056'. Lots of zeros--got to be good.

Of course 56' is nothing compared to where the heck does the GFSZ is actually defined as starting/stopping.

There is no restriction on gun stores inside GFSZ (though such a restriction has been proposed) - but if it's possible that that condition is true, the customers need to be very careful with their handguns - CCW weapons only, or in locked cases at all times outside the store.

vanmanstemig
01-24-2011, 8:18 PM
i was also wondering if a bus yard and district offices, on separate property from school counts as gun free zone? just thought about it and I'm within it if it does count.

OleCuss
01-24-2011, 8:46 PM
i was also wondering if a bus yard and district offices, on separate property from school counts as gun free zone? just thought about it and I'm within it if it does count.

Since presumably no instruction occurs there, this should not be a GFSZ. But frankly, I'd not care to be the one to be arrested and hauled into court by an aggressive DA and have to spend a whole lot of time and money on lawyers trying to get and stay out of jail.

vanmanstemig
01-24-2011, 9:10 PM
What restrictions do I have leaving in the school zone

1 do my guns have to unloaded?
2 do they have to be in a locked box?
3 am I exempt as long as I stay on my property with them?
4 can they be but in my car to go shooting? (unloaded, pistols in trunk long guns in back seat trunk not big enough for long guns)

paul0660
01-24-2011, 9:16 PM
Whats the diff?

Unless you have a CCW, 99% of the time handguns have to be in a locked case. Longguns might as well be, because of the Federal GFSZ.

Oh I forgot.........WHY ISN'T THE FRIGGIN WIKI THE FIRST THING NOOBS SEE?????

Librarian
01-24-2011, 9:30 PM
What restrictions do I have leaving in the school zone

1 do my guns have to unloaded?
2 do they have to be in a locked box?
3 am I exempt as long as I stay on my property with them?
4 can they be but in my car to go shooting? (unloaded, pistols in trunk long guns in back seat trunk not big enough for long guns)

Living, perhaps?

No restrictions at all inside your own residence. Probably none in your back yard, but front might be problematical.

Transferring guns from house to vehicle, and within vehicle, unloaded and in locked cases. If you can make the transfer inside your garage, trunk counts as locked container.

vanmanstemig
01-24-2011, 9:36 PM
If I post no trespass on property does it make it not accessible to the public in regards to having a gun?

paul0660
01-24-2011, 9:47 PM
Only if you post it in every language in which a Frisco ballot is printed.

taperxz
01-24-2011, 9:52 PM
And don't call it "Frisco"

vanmanstemig
01-26-2011, 7:10 AM
Fortunately I live in Sonora so English would cover 99% of the county but added Spanish should cover most of the rest. I go in for a ccw permit interview tonight so hopefully I'll be exempt in 3-4 month.

Librarian
01-26-2011, 8:50 AM
If I post no trespass on property does it make it not accessible to the public in regards to having a gun?

No.

Current case law seems to require physical barrier of some kind.

Decoligny
01-26-2011, 9:07 AM

CA PC 626.9 has absolutely NO LANGUAGE in it that requires you to lock up your firearm while on your own property.

People have taken a portion of PC 12031 and "magically" inserted it with invisible ink into PC 626.9.

PC 626.9 has a CLEAR exemption for private property.

626.9. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as specified in subdivision (f).
(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the possession of a firearm under any of the following circumstances:
(1) Within a place of residence or place of business or on private property, if the place of residence, place of business, or private property is not part of the school grounds and the possession of the firearm is otherwise lawful.

Compare that with PC 12031

12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

So, taking an unloaded gun from your house to your car which is parked in your driveway, is perfectly legal, even when in a school zone.

Decoligny
01-26-2011, 9:11 AM
No.

Current case law seems to require physical barrier of some kind.

Current case law that requires a physical barrier deals with PC 12031 "public place" language.

Librarian
01-26-2011, 9:49 AM
Current case law that requires a physical barrier deals with PC 12031 "public place" language.

One way to read "accessible to the public in regards to having a gun" is the 12031 "public place" consideration.

I could not "post" my front yard, on a public street in Concord, and expect that sign to infallibly protect my right to carry on my own property. That's beyond stupid, but I think that's where we are at the moment.