PDA

View Full Version : I am noob. Here my noobness!

axel4488
01-22-2011, 2:13 AM
Hello all. I will say this first, The only thing I know about guns is what I was taught in Boy Scouts....which means I can shoot a mean .22 and the biggest thing I ever touched was a 12 gauge.

Names James. Jim if you like I don't mind. Live in the Moron Alley, or known as Moreno Valley. I am 20y 3m and 9d away from 21. Yes I am counting down lol. I'm pursuing a career in either the Navy or Police Department...I'm still unsure. As soon as I'm legally able too, I will be purchasing my first firearm, a handgun if able.

I came by this site from a review about a gun shop near my house, and found tons of info that peaked my interest...so I decided to join and see what else I can get myself into lol. I hope to join in discussion and learn about anything and everything in weapons. So yeah, guess that's it.

send it_hit
01-22-2011, 2:58 AM
welcome to the forum! :D

jshoebot
01-22-2011, 3:02 AM
Welcome! You'll learn a lot on these forums.

axel4488
01-22-2011, 3:09 AM
thanks. I actually was lurking around the forums and decided to opt for some classes after getting my HSC. but I was also wondering, do I have to have my HSC to shoot a handgun owned by a private party at a range?

B Strong
01-22-2011, 5:30 AM
Welcome aboard, and please make sure to check out:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=108030

Wicked Pete
01-22-2011, 7:36 AM
Hello James, Welcome. I see from your Avatar that you like Mustangs. I've been a "motor head" for a long time. Cars/trucks/hot rods, can be "money pits".

Speaking of money pits....wait til you see all the goodies at the gun store.

Pinto
01-22-2011, 7:45 AM
Welcome to Calguns James! Lots here to learn if you're willing to dig in and share.

The HSC is needed only for the purchase of a handgun. No one will ever ask to see it except the FFL when doing the paperwork when buying.

thanks. I actually was lurking around the forums and decided to opt for some classes after getting my HSC. but I was also wondering, do I have to have my HSC to shoot a handgun owned by a private party at a range?

bjl333
01-22-2011, 8:45 AM
Welcome to Calguns James !!!

SoCal Bob
01-22-2011, 9:19 AM
Welcome James.

jpigeon
01-22-2011, 9:37 AM
Welcome Jim

Davidwhitewolf
01-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Welcome James! I remember doing that countdown myself, went out and bought a S&W 940 instead of taking my first legal drink. :D You have lots more choices nowadays for a first handgun, enjoy the decision process!

FirstFlight
01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Good to have you with us Jim.....enjoy and you will learn!

BayAreaShooter
01-22-2011, 3:10 PM
Welcome to the forum.

hcbr
01-22-2011, 3:26 PM
Welcome Jim from Moreno Valley!

den888
01-22-2011, 4:05 PM
Welcome!

zod
01-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Welcome aboard James. You'll find lots of good info on here. Enjoy.

axel4488
01-23-2011, 1:01 PM
Hello James, Welcome. I see from your Avatar that you like Mustangs. I've been a "motor head" for a long time. Cars/trucks/hot rods, can be "money pits".

Speaking of money pits....wait til you see all the goodies at the gun store.

yes lol. I had a little v6 mustang...but it had some things done to it....

lets just say the oil and gas where usually over 90 bucks lol.

samspade77
01-23-2011, 4:51 PM
Welcome dude. I'd recommend to check this site weekly and get out to the nearest range. Do you have friends that are into firearms? If so, try out what they have and that will give you an idea of what you'd like to purchase. Also, most indoor ranges let you rent, which is a good way to try different makes/models of handguns. Have fun and be prepared to spend some money! I thought one would be enough. Now I have four and still want more. Oh well. We can't take it with us so you might as well spend it and have a good time. Good luck.

axel4488
01-23-2011, 5:27 PM
yeah unfortunately my family/friends aren't into guns so I'm alone on this one. I'm trying to head over to the Riverside Magnum Range soon to see if i can even shoot a .45 without breaking my wrist lol. Unfortunately I have found out that i am left eye dominant, which makes me shoot left handed. Which isn't a bad thing for .22 lol. but that shotgun hurts like a bizznatch.

edit: is there anyway of taking the word filters off?

appagohm
01-24-2011, 10:26 AM
i'm left eye dominant as well but shoot with right hand, If i'm shooting a hand gun i open both eyes. if i'm shooting a rirfle i'll just close my left. A .45acp isn't all that bad, just remember to push with your dominant and and pull with your weak hand. let the recoil do it's thing, don't try to force against the recoil or your'll have bad groupings. Unless your shooting a magnum 500 you won't have a problem with recoil. it's just practice practice pratice. If your ever in Los Angeles, i can take you shooting at my local range. We can go through different calibers as i pretty much have them all. I perfer the 45acp over the 9mm for self defense but carry a pocket nine for work. But if you practice enough a 22lr can be just as effective as any other. Also if you have a firm grip on the shot gun and tuck it close to you shoulder even 12guage magnum (3inch) slugs are managiable.

bsg
01-24-2011, 10:36 AM
welcome to the forum.

dzhao20
01-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the Calgun forums :D

Enjoy your time here and hoping to see more of your posting around time to time

axel4488
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
i'm left eye dominant as well but shoot with right hand, If i'm shooting a hand gun i open both eyes. if i'm shooting a rirfle i'll just close my left. A .45acp isn't all that bad, just remember to push with your dominant and and pull with your weak hand. let the recoil do it's thing, don't try to force against the recoil or your'll have bad groupings. Unless your shooting a magnum 500 you won't have a problem with recoil. it's just practice practice pratice. If your ever in Los Angeles, i can take you shooting at my local range. We can go through different calibers as i pretty much have them all. I perfer the 45acp over the 9mm for self defense but carry a pocket nine for work. But if you practice enough a 22lr can be just as effective as any other. Also if you have a firm grip on the shot gun and tuck it close to you shoulder even 12guage magnum (3inch) slugs are managiable.

I might take you up on that offer lol. thanks

TURBOELKY
01-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Jimmy!!!!!!!
(south park style instead of Timmy)
Welcome...

BANG BANG
01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
welcome to the forum. read, learn, apply and have fun !!

DeanW66
01-26-2011, 1:09 PM
Jim if you like I don't mind. Live in the Moron Alley, or known as Moreno Valley. I am 20y 3m and 9d away from 21.

Uhhmm, when I read the above, I think you've got a lloooonnnngggg wait (as in, you are ALMOST 9 months old, lol).

Anyways welcome aboard!

axel4488
01-26-2011, 2:17 PM
hahaha thanks. but yes. I actually am just about to send in my paperwork and application for RSO and SDO this week!!