PDA

View Full Version : Buying C&R pistol at Reno big show?

R5CYA
01-22-2011, 12:51 AM
can i use my C&R to buy a pistol at the reno big show in march? will nevada dealers sell to california residents with an 03ffl? would there be the same ten day wait like i have to go through here? if i can buy C&R pistols, there wouldn't be a limit on how many, would there? i've been wanting a tokarev for a looong time! really sick of having the atf clear me to buy, only to have my state make me jump through hoops!
C&R rifles will be good to go, right? give them my C&R, cash and walk away with the rifle?
THANKS!

Librarian
01-22-2011, 1:32 AM
Out of state, C&R licensees can buy any C&R rifle or handgun. (No CA 'assault weapons')

If you buy a C&R handgun, you have to send in a form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/curioapp.pdf) to CA, but you can pay for it and take it with you.

R5CYA
01-22-2011, 1:39 AM
cool. thanks. i don't need a handgun safety certificate do i? seems to me i read i'm exempt because of being 03ffl?

JDay
01-22-2011, 1:44 AM
cool. thanks. i don't need a handgun safety certificate do i? seems to me i read i'm exempt because of being 03ffl?

Only if you have a COE to go with it.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php#c6

What are the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) requirement exemption codes?

X01 = Special Weapons Permit Holder
X02 = Operation of Law Representative
X03 = Handgun being returned to the owner
X13 = FFL collector with COE (curio and relic handguns only)
X21 = Military - Active Duty
X22 = Military - Reserve
X25 = Military - Honorably Retired
X31 = Peace Officer - California - Active
X32 = Peace Officer - Federal - Active
X33 = Peace Officer - California - Honorably Retired
X34 = Peace Officer - California - Reserve
X35 = Peace Officer - Federal - Honorably Retired
X41 = Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder
X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training
X91 = Particular and Limited Authority Peace Officers
X95 = Law Enforcement Service Gun to Family Member

emcon5
01-22-2011, 8:22 AM
Only if you have a COE to go with it.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php#c6

I don't think that is correct. You need a HSC to transfer a pistol at a dealer in CA, but CA laws do not apply beyond the state line.

The registration form Librarian linked above also makes no mention of a HSC.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-22-2011, 11:33 AM
No HSC needed for a California C&R FFL buying handguns outside of California.

Many vendors at the show will not sell to a California C&R FFL. If you open the conversation by saying "Will you accept a C&R FFL for this transaction?" many will just say no. They act like it is a trick question or something. After a couple trips to the Big Reno Show I found it was better to run the conversation like this...

Me: "Will you take $400 for the Colt?" (while holding wad of cash in hand)
Vendor: "Are you a Nevada resident?"
Me: "No, but I am an FFL. I have a copy of my license here I can give you for your records."
Vendor: SOLD!

After seeing your FFL some vendors will be confused either because of the California address or because it is an 03 FFL. Some will stop the transaction right there. But you will still have more luck this way than by just starting off with "Do you accept C&R licenses?" Another tip is to take along a copy of the C&R Handgun Report Form printed off of CalDOJ's web site. The back of that form explains about California C&R FFLs buying C&R handguns while out of state. Seeing that form can change the minds of some sellers who have the mistaken belief that "handguns aren't C&R in California".

Another problem you will run into is unlicensed sellers who will not give you their name and address for your bound book. As an FFL you can't buy from people who won't give you their info for your bound book.

R5CYA
01-22-2011, 6:04 PM
thanks for the advice, everyone!
i will make sure i have a copy of the laws when i go, to help enlighten them.

when buying face to face with an unlicensed seller, i can't do it inside the show, can i? would it have to go through a 01ffl? or is that just a cali law? i dont want to get anyone (esp. me!) in trouble.:no:

Mssr. Eleganté
01-22-2011, 6:13 PM
...when buying face to face with an unlicensed seller, i can't do it inside the show, can i? would it have to go through a 01ffl? or is that just a cali law?

Yes, you can buy C&R firearms face to face with unlicensed sellers inside the show. You can do that in California too with 50+ year old C&R long guns.

dfletcher
01-22-2011, 6:58 PM
can i use my C&R to buy a pistol at the reno big show in march? will nevada dealers sell to california residents with an 03ffl? would there be the same ten day wait like i have to go through here? if i can buy C&R pistols, there wouldn't be a limit on how many, would there? i've been wanting a tokarev for a looong time! really sick of having the atf clear me to buy, only to have my state make me jump through hoops!
C&R rifles will be good to go, right? give them my C&R, cash and walk away with the rifle?
THANKS!

Cash & carry, C & R eligible long gun and/or handgun, the "must be 50" doesn't apply - so long as the gun is C & R eligible you can buy and walk. You can buy C & R AWs, but of course can't bring them back to CA.

The only challenge I've had is that once I show my C & R FFL the sellers default to "you're OK, no need to exchange anything ...." but I always leave a copy of mine, get a name from them for my book.