PDA

View Full Version : first duck hunt. (pic and vid)

racky
01-21-2011, 9:14 PM
well i went duck hunting for my first time on wednesday. my buddy won a raffle for stone lake's near elk grove. this was his third duck hunt so both of us are pretty much still "getting our feet wet." the day ended with a total of 2 ducks (golden eyes). what pissed me off the most is that when i shoot trap, i usually score 19 of 20. but when i went hunting, i used 22 shells and i only made out with 1 confirmed kill. :( (black cloud cost $25 per box so the duck cost me $22.) i guess i have to practice more. anyways, here's a quick vid and pic of my buddy and i:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/rackycurva/2A%20stuff/102_0058.jpg

*CAUTION foul language* turn up the volume.
C8i-d6c5t7Y

jm13690
01-21-2011, 10:38 PM
I just went duck hunting for the first time last weekend. I got 2, but considering everyone else go none I was happy. Duck hunting is a fun one, but I prefer upland a bit more. I like being able to move around, then sitting in a boat under camo for hours.

I will have to try it at the beginning of the season to give it a fair shot. I think in the beginning of season the ducks havent caught on to the big floating thing in the middle of the water. :)

spectr17
01-22-2011, 1:32 AM
Looks like hen Goldeneyes to me. Cans have a unique long azz bill.

lewdogg21
01-22-2011, 5:54 AM
Def. not Cans. Cans are big ducks like the size of real mallards.

Welcome to duck hunting. That's funny you mention the 19/20 b/c sometimes I feel like I should just hand my gun to my dog. The different angles, speeds, changes in direction can make for some tough gunning. If you guys can hook up with somebody who has more experience you can shorten your learning curve.

and then finally just when you think you got it down, well the next day your calls won't work and the ducks won't come to you and you start all over. :P

robairto
01-22-2011, 2:19 PM
Good pics and yes it's ok to miss ducks and still be a good shot otherwise. The lead time on steel and an up turning duck is far different than shooting trap or skeet with a fixed trajectory. The birds can also look closer than they are and are usually flying faster than you think. I wear a face mask or paint my face a little as I don't want the bird to see my whiteness. Other than that, stay still and let'm work. Thanks for posting...

chris
01-22-2011, 2:21 PM
you guys have to start somewhere. i bet you are now hooked on it. :)

trob
01-22-2011, 3:44 PM
could be wrong...but those look like canvas back...I think the limit is 1 a day..........just sayin

clearly, youve never seen a canvasback. They look nothing like a canvasback.

Nice first hunt! Missing ducks is part of the game, it is hard. Shooting trap is insanely easy.

duckman1
01-22-2011, 3:57 PM
To much prairie doggin keep you head down. Looked like you guys a good hunt and a great time.

qbi2001
01-22-2011, 8:24 PM
$22 is cheap for that duck, your just thinking of the cost of shells. Now that your hooked it's going to get much more expensive, you will save money on better shots(less shells) but think of all the new duck hunting stuff you don't have yet.

Desert_Rat
01-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Looks like You guys had a good time. I'm glad to see it. Thanks for sharing

portegee
01-24-2011, 10:53 AM
To much prairie doggin keep you head down. Looked like you guys a good hunt and a great time.

That's what I was thinking the whole time I was watching. If you guys would get down and not flash the ducks they'd probably come in a little closer. Good job on the two ducks could've been worse. It's good to see two buddies in the blind having a good time

lewdogg21
01-24-2011, 1:55 PM
Face masks and keep your face pressed tight to the cover. Move your eyes instead of your head. Position you and your buddy to face different directions. Talk very quietly as your voices carry and are pretty loud up where the ducks are.

Joser23
01-24-2011, 2:37 PM
thanks for the vid man looks like good times!!!

kblack583
01-24-2011, 4:30 PM
$22 is cheap for that duck, your just thinking of the cost of shells. Now that your hooked it's going to get much more expensive, you will save money on better shots(less shells) but think of all the new duck hunting stuff you don't have yet.

This!!!

sargenv
01-24-2011, 4:44 PM
Dump the black cloud.. Winchester 3" - 1 1/8 - 1550 fps - BB's, 2's or 3's are $10/25. I tried a box of Black clouds.. wasn't impressed.. 12 snows fell to a bit over a box of Winchester Xpert BB's last Sat.. yep.. we had a great shoot.

Sky_DiveR
01-24-2011, 4:47 PM
Heck of a deal. Ya don't get too many chances to hunt Stone Lake. Usually just bird watchers get in there (& the warden). :( Good to see you guys had fun tho. :)

DirtyDave
01-24-2011, 8:14 PM
Shooting trap and hunting are completely different. Trap is very consistent, hunting is not. Different angles, elevations, and speeds of birds takes time to judge. When has the trap house ever thrown a clay straight over your head? Trap loads are usually around 1200fps, and Duck loads are 1450+

brantly04
01-24-2011, 8:17 PM
Looks like the safety was on ;)

racky
01-24-2011, 10:37 PM
thanks for watching guys. ya i have a lot to learn. i'm going hunting again on saturday so wish me luck :thumbsup:

brantly04
01-25-2011, 6:39 AM
Where we hunt (Colusa County) it's always better at the beginning of the year, maybe next season you should go out at the beginning of the hunting season, more opportunities.

thanks for watching guys. ya i have a lot to learn. i'm going hunting again on saturday so wish me luck :thumbsup: