PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the future of the handgun roster and CCW in CA, your thoughts?

user01394
01-21-2011, 8:55 PM
I was reading over a FAQ here and some of the calguns wiki articles. It would be huge if the roster was abolished. Looking at the time that it takes for these cases to go through I think it might be possible to get a hearing late this year or sometime next.

State wide CCW shall issue on the other hand seems way far off if not impossible. It seems that these cases take 2+ years from start the finish. Starting in rural areas makes sense and using that to move forward. However even in the OC seems like an impossible feat if not many years down the road.

Personally these two issues seem to be the biggest ones that CA would win to grant more freedoms and it seems like they are close at hand, what do you think?

dantodd
01-21-2011, 9:01 PM
um. you should have read a little further.

Pena v. Cid (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Pena_v_Cid)

Richards v. Prieto (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Richards_v._Prieto)

user01394
01-21-2011, 9:07 PM
These are the two I was referring to, Pena v. Cid would abolish the roster from my understanding and looks like it should complete this year.

Richards v. Prieto is the other case I was referring to in that this is the stepping stone to take on other counties. It makes sense to start in a rural area and should be easier to win, however taking it to a county like Orange, LA, or SF seems totally different and far off. I assume they would go for a few more rural areas before taking on these big ones.

Joe
01-21-2011, 9:10 PM
With many FFL's doing single shot transfers the roster has been *almost* rendered useless.

wildhawker
01-21-2011, 9:26 PM
These are the two I was referring to, Pena v. Cid would abolish the roster from my understanding and looks like it should complete this year.

Richards v. Prieto is the other case I was referring to in that this is the stepping stone to take on other counties. It makes sense to start in a rural area and should be easier to win, however taking it to a county like Orange, LA, or SF seems totally different and far off. I assume they would go for a few more rural areas before taking on these big ones.

You're misunderstanding how Federal cases work. A CA bear case will be decided at CA9 within 12-18 months, and likely SCOTUS within 24-30.

Once we have a binding decision, it will not require a long, drawn-out process to force compliance.

-Brandon

tonelar
01-22-2011, 8:29 PM
With many FFL's doing single shot transfers the roster has been *almost* rendered useless.

Almost is one thing. Taken down in front of the rabid anti gun crowd is quite another.

How does Pena vs CID look? Just in case anything's changed since August.

wildhawker
01-22-2011, 8:36 PM
Waiting on Nordyke, which should be out soon.

M198
01-22-2011, 8:52 PM
Waiting on Nordyke, which should be out soon.

2 weeks? :)

magsnubby
01-23-2011, 11:12 AM

What about revolvers?

Fjold
01-23-2011, 12:00 PM
What about revolvers?

Some FFLs are converting the double action revolvers to single action so that they are roster exempt.

magsnubby
01-23-2011, 4:34 PM
Some FFLs are converting the double action revolvers to single action so that they are roster exempt.

I haven't saw that. What would have to been done to convert a D/A to a S/A?

ke6guj
01-23-2011, 4:41 PM
I haven't saw that. What would have to been done to convert a D/A to a S/A?

depends on the model, but on many D/A revolvers, there is a piece of the linkage that can be removed, making it an S/A revolver. later, that piece can be reinstalled, converting it back to D/A. Do remember that there is a minimum barrel length that must be met as well as the S/A config.

magsnubby
01-23-2011, 4:44 PM
I just pulled the side plate off a K frame S&W and that looks like how it would be done.

motorhead
01-23-2011, 7:01 PM
the roster is clearly doomed. ccw may take a little more time. the roster fails on it's own idiocy, ccw will requrie showing the huge gulf of standards between different counties. that and you go against the county sheriff, one of the most powerful elected offices in the state.