PDA

View Full Version : Military exemption?

Medieval Man
01-21-2011, 6:10 PM
Hi all. Trying to find info for my son in law; He's currently serving in the Air Force in Washington State, will soon be transferred to a base in CA. Has a Stag Arms Model 1 .223 AR-15; is there a military exception to CA gun laws?

He also has a number of 30 round mags, and a 9 mm semi auto with +10 round mags. Does he need to sell these items before transferring, or will he be able to keep them?

I checked the threads, but couldn't locate any pertinant info. Thanks for your help! I've lurked in the past; great people here with a lot of knowledge, it helped when I bought a rifle a couple years ago; went with the Kel Tec SU-16 CA over the mini 14 after reading some posts here...

rromeo
01-21-2011, 7:39 PM
There is a military assault weapon permit, but it's apparently changed so the CO needs to give permission. A Stag 1 would be legal with a bullet button installed. The magazines over ten rounds need to be disassembled or left out of state, unless he already owned them In California prior to 2000. He can't use them in a bullet button rifle though.

automatikdonn
01-21-2011, 8:02 PM
The 10 round mags have to go... If he can get the base commander to sign off, which some of them will he can get the assualt weapons permit... but its really not worth the hassle

B Strong
01-22-2011, 5:33 AM
Welcome aboard, and please make sure to check out:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=108030