PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'm stumped on the residency for rifle thing

KenpoProfessor
08-21-2006, 4:49 PM
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf

I've gone thru this thing and can't find where it's ILLEGAL to buy a rifle (that is not an AW in CA) out of state. For instance, I go to a gun show where I see an SKS without a GL that I can't live without. I'm assuming that if I buy it from a person with an FFL it's LEGAL, yes/no? What if I buy it PPT?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 4:56 PM
When buying a gun out of state both buyer and seller have to follow the rules of both states. Since california has the DROS and 10 day wait you cannot buy the gun and walk away. Considering that most free state FFLs are not setup to do the California system it gets complicated.

In all truth I'm no expert at all, there are others here who could help you out a lot more.

Mudvayne540ld
08-21-2006, 5:13 PM
I cash and carried outa state once, that is how I got the Mini.
C&C is beautiful

anothergunnut
08-21-2006, 5:15 PM
Federal law only allows an out of state resident to purchase a long gun from a dealer; no private party or handgun sales are allowed. Federal law further states that the sale must comply with the laws of both states. As previously noted, CA requires a DROS and 10 day wait which means we cannot do direct purchases from an out of state FFL. Most other states allow cash and carry purchases so a resident of AZ, for instance, can legally purchase a long gun from a dealer in NV.

Of course, you can purchase other items that are illegal in CA since NV law would apply. You can purchase standard capacity magazines, grenade launchers, etc, etc. You just can't bring them back to CA and you may have trouble finding a NV dealer that will sell to you.

bwiese
08-21-2006, 5:17 PM
I cash and carried outa state once, that is how I got the Mini.
C&C is beautiful

If you did that while a CA resident you've just done a whole pile of big no-nos on both a state & Fed basis.

bluebaron
08-21-2006, 6:26 PM
I was wondering if he meant C&R rather than C&C.

TheMan
08-21-2006, 7:02 PM
If you did that while a CA resident you've just done a whole pile of big no-nos on both a state & Fed basis.

Wouldn't that depend on how long ago he did it?

shonc99
08-21-2006, 7:16 PM
As a Non-resident military member I have run into this several times. My drivers license (out of state) was renewed with my CA address on it. This put me into a position where I was considered a resident of CA by more than one dealer in other states. :mad: :mad:

While not legal, there is nothing keeping you from purchasing a firearm as a PPT from a person outside CA. (Again, you do so at your legal peril-DON"T DO IT):eek:

You CANNOT purchase ANY firearm as a CA resident outside CA. Again, if you are a resident, your screwed in that respect.

(I had my DL changed back to reflect my home state address. so I would not have this issue again.) :cool:

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 7:30 PM
I was wondering if he meant C&R rather than C&C.
The mini-14 is not a C&R firearm.

bluebaron
08-21-2006, 9:56 PM
Good point. I was thinking M14.....not even sure if that is on the C&R list yet though :rolleyes:

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 9:58 PM
Good point. I was thinking M14.....not even sure if that is on the C&R list yet though :rolleyes:
Nope, M1As are not C&Rs either.

Mudvayne540ld
08-21-2006, 11:40 PM
I have a NV ID card. I used to live there..... We still have a condo there, so I dont think that is a no no.... could be wrong tho.

Ford8N
08-22-2006, 5:40 AM
I have a NV ID card. I used to live there..... We still have a condo there, so I dont think that is a no no.... could be wrong tho.http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

EOD Guy
08-22-2006, 5:48 AM
As a Non-resident military member I have run into this several times. My drivers license (out of state) was renewed with my CA address on it. This put me into a position where I was considered a resident of CA by more than one dealer in other states. :mad: :mad:

While not legal, there is nothing keeping you from purchasing a firearm as a PPT from a person outside CA. (Again, you do so at your legal peril-DON"T DO IT):eek:

You CANNOT purchase ANY firearm as a CA resident outside CA. Again, if you are a resident, your screwed in that respect.

(I had my DL changed back to reflect my home state address. so I would not have this issue again.) :cool:

There is an exception for C&R firearms if you have a C&R FFL. I just purchased a nice Sistema .45 at the Big Reno Show and brought it back to California, and it was perfectly legal under California law.

shonc99
08-22-2006, 9:02 AM
Thanks for the addition. I am glad that the C&R FFL allows for more exceptions. I have thought more than once about getting a C&R FFL.

KenpoProfessor
08-22-2006, 2:00 PM
PPT in CA, does it have to go thru DROS/FFL as well with a transfer, or can two people in the same state transfer a rifle that is here already FTF? Is it only milsurps 50 yo or more that can be traded FTF?

Sorry for so many questions guys, just cking options here. BTW, I did contact the DOJ and the girl didn't even know what an SKS was, so relying on them for information is kind of a moot point.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

bwiese
08-22-2006, 2:09 PM
PPT in CA, does it have to go thru DROS/FFL as well with a transfer, or can two people in the same state transfer a rifle that is here already FTF? Is it only milsurps 50 yo or more that can be traded FTF?

Normal firearm transfers - whether new or used - must go thru an FFL. There is no such thing as a paperless legal transfer without FFL intervention for modern guns.

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 2:45 PM
Is it only milsurps 50 yo or more that can be traded FTF?

Remove the word 'milsurp' and you're correct. Origin of the rifle does not matter. Oh, and I believe it's rifle ONLY. Handguns, regardless of age (unless they're pre-1899 designs), require an FFL.

Whitesmoke
08-22-2006, 4:10 PM
cap and ball revolvers/pistols don't need any paperwork to buy either....

not a modern design....