PDA

View Full Version : Help installing break

Maddog5150
08-21-2006, 1:36 PM
Im changing my oll over to the detachable mag varient and am trying to install a wilson combat break. I cant seem to screw it on where the ports are on the top, it keeps going canted and when I torque it down it goes upside down. Im using the washer it came with. Any help would be appreciated. :o

SemiAutoSam
08-21-2006, 1:42 PM
Im changing my oll over to the detachable mag varient and am trying to install a wilson combat break. I cant seem to screw it on where the ports are on the top, it keeps going canted and when I torque it down it goes upside down. Im using the washer it came with. Any help would be appreciated. :o

I think you need a BRAKE install kit.

And or just a set of what are called PEEL washers

Depending where your at call your local gun show wes at ten percent in taft or Mike at San Jose Gun Exchange should be able to help.

Good luck

grammaton76
08-21-2006, 1:44 PM
I believe those washers are angled for a reason. It allows it to give slightly, and you only want to torque it down until the brake is in the correct orientation. This will 'crush' the washer a little, which is why it's called a crush washer.

You may have already bent the washer flat, in which case you may need to buy another one...

Maddog5150
08-21-2006, 1:46 PM
damn. i have both the old washer and the new one. When I try to put both washer togeth it looks like it will align right. is it alright to use two washers?

grammaton76
08-21-2006, 2:18 PM
damn. i have both the old washer and the new one. When I try to put both washer togeth it looks like it will align right. is it alright to use two washers?

Should be fine. The brakes I'm used to dealing with only have one, but all you need is for it to be tight and lined up correctly, anyway...

Santa Cruz Armory
08-21-2006, 4:34 PM
Will it cause any problems to have it off set? I just ran into the same thing with my first AR. I just left it...:rolleyes:

blkA4alb
08-21-2006, 4:36 PM
Will it cause any problems to have it off set? I just ran into the same thing with my first AR. I just left it...:rolleyes:
Off set meaning the ports diagonally or something? Nothing negative could really happen besides it shoving the gun in an unwanted direction and annoying the hell out of anyone shooting next to you ;) . If the ports are meant to be vertical then they probably won't be doing much of anything pointed sideways. *Shrug*

m24armorer
08-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Use only ONE crush washer. They are rated at 360 deg. To save yourself a pain don't use peel washers.