View Full Version : .22lr Ciener Kit Conversion AR

08-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Iím planning to make use of my AR (.223) and converting to .22lr Ciener Kit for gray squirrel this season. My question is would it be legal:confused: as long as i obey to CA law w/ non detachable mag?

50 Freak
08-21-2006, 12:09 PM
If you're using a OLL then keep it gripless. If it's a regular registered AW, you can do anything you want to it.

With the OLL, the DOJ can argue that you have a lower illegally configured into a AW, regardless of if you have a 22 upper on it.

By the way, if you use a Ceiner conversion. Use the Aguilar 22 SSS. The twist in the AR is configured perfectly for this type of ammo. With standard 22 lr ammo, you will notice that your bullets will often keyhole a lot.

08-21-2006, 12:14 PM
On a rifle where the action type (rimfire vs centerfire, semiauto vs manually-cycled) is separate from the serialized receiver it's not a good idea to rely on the rimfire exemption (at least as of now).

If you have a lower receiver marked 22LR, you'd be OK.

08-21-2006, 12:22 PM
I think he was implying that he would have a fixed magazine as well Bill. If he had a fixed magazine the conversion kit would be fine, if he wanted to use detachable magazines since its rimfire then a lower marked 22LR would be in order.

08-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Assume you will pin your Ciener conversion kit magazine like you pin your regular AR 10rd mag, I do not see any issue. However, Ciener kit has known problem with firing pin that will break after few thousand rounds. If you do plan to shoot a lot, bought at least a few spare firing pins just in case. Also, .22LR usually only require 1:16 barrel twist to balance. So whatever barrel you run will be too much barrel for it. Don't expect the accuracy to be great unless you bought a dedicated .22LR upper.

Most important issue is you want to make sure you clean all the fouling out of the barrel, especially in the chamber throat area before you fire .223/5.56 out of the same barrel again. Excessive fouling at chamber throat area will create excessive chamber pressure and has known to KB your gun. User beware.

50 Freak
08-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Also, .22LR usually only require 1:16 barrel twist to balance. So whatever barrel you run will be too much barrel for it.

Agreed, that's why if you must use a 22 conversion kit. Use the Aguliar 22 SSS ammo (it's 60 grains) and will stabilize in a 1/9 twist barrel. Just smells a little funky.

08-21-2006, 4:57 PM
thanks for all your input! :)