PDA

View Full Version : Questions On Acquiring A Gen 4 Glock In California

Z_0
01-21-2011, 12:31 PM
First of all, I have been coming here for years for information. Thanks for having such a great website. Now for my long and complicated question.

I would like to own a Gen 4 Glock in California without breaking any laws. I have relatives living out of state. Unfortunately, both of my parents are deceased. I don't think that my brother can legally give me an off-roster handgun. I suspect that my father-in-law cannot give the gun to me.

My father-in-law could give the Gen 4 Glock to my wife (after removing those dangerous high capacity magazines and going through a knowledgeable FFL dealer). I think that at that point, the gun is not really mine and there might be some legal problems with me posessing it under certain circumstances. Can my wife (who lives with me in California) give the gun to me (again going through a knowledgeable FFL dealer)?

I also have a daughter, so we could go: father-in-law --> His grandaughter / my daughter --> me. What is the minimum age for a person to receive a handgun as a gift in California?

What a mess.

Thanks for your help.

jb7706
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
FIL to Wife via CA FFL, the Wife to you via inter family transfer ($19, send form and money to DoJ, no FFL needed.)

rromeo
01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
First of all, I have been coming here for years for information. Thanks for having such a great website. Now for my long and complicated question.

I would like to own a Gen 4 Glock in California without breaking any laws. I have relatives living out of state. Unfortunately, both of my parents are deceased. I don't think that my brother can legally give me an off-roster handgun. I suspect that my father-in-law cannot give the gun to me.

My father-in-law could give the Gen 4 Glock to my wife (after removing those dangerous high capacity magazines and going through a knowledgeable FFL dealer). I think that at that point, the gun is not really mine and there might be some legal problems with me posessing it under certain circumstances. Can my wife (who lives with me in California) give the gun to me (again going through a knowledgeable FFL dealer)?

I also have a daughter, so we could go: father-in-law --> His grandaughter / my daughter --> me. What is the minimum age for a person to receive a handgun as a gift in California?

What a mess.

Thanks for your help.

That should be fine. Where do you live? If you're close enough to Milpitas, Tracy, or Fresno that you'd drive there twice, there's another option.
Single Shot exemption. Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas, Tracy Rifle and Pistol in Tracy, and PRK Arms in Fresno can sell you a Gen 4 Glock, and a lot of other off-roster handguns.

ffbsm85
01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I have a question related to this. How does it work if you're buying a gun from a parent? Do they go to an FFL in their state, give them the gun and they send it to the FFL here where you would pick it up?

Z_0
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM
That should be fine. Where do you live? If you're close enough to Milpitas, Tracy, or Fresno that you'd drive there twice, there's another option.
Single Shot exemption. Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas, Tracy Rifle and Pistol in Tracy, and PRK Arms in Fresno can sell you a Gen 4 Glock, and a lot of other off-roster handguns.

I live in Ventura County, so that would be a long drive. I will try a local "enlightened" FFL dealer. Thanks for the idea.

Z_0
01-21-2011, 1:00 PM
FIL to Wife via CA FFL, the Wife to you via inter family transfer ($19, send form and money to DoJ, no FFL needed.)

Thanks. I did not know about inter family transfers. Where can I obtain the required form(s)?

gbackus
01-21-2011, 1:01 PM
Or you could just buy mine here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=368691

I'll be back in south gate/la soon :)

rromeo
01-21-2011, 1:02 PM
I have a question related to this. How does it work if you're buying a gun from a parent? Do they go to an FFL in their state, give them the gun and they send it to the FFL here where you would pay $50-100 for the transfer and pick it up?
I don't think your parents have to send it from and FFL, but yes, it does go TO an FFL. Discuss with your receiving FFL if he accepts from private parties, and his fee schedule. Because it's not a transaction between two CA residents, the FFL can charge whatever he wishes for the transfer.

jb7706
01-21-2011, 1:08 PM
Thanks. I did not know about inter family transfers. Where can I obtain the required form(s)?

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

And you and your wife must both obtain an HSC.

ETA: I got it wrong, it's INTRA family.

wash
01-21-2011, 1:21 PM
Does the gun have to go through an FFL to get from FIL to wife?

I think that may be an intra-family transfer, not a PPT.

After that I think it's comunity property or something like that, you can transfer it again but you probably don't have to (keep your HSC current if you don't transfer from your wife although I'm not sure your HSC has to be current to borrow). Either way I would wait several months between transfers to avoid the apearance of a straw purchase type situation.

Librarian
01-21-2011, 1:47 PM
Does the gun have to go through an FFL to get from FIL to wife?

I think that may be an intra-family transfer, not a PPT.

After that I think it's comunity property or something like that, you can transfer it again but you probably don't have to (keep your HSC current if you don't transfer from your wife although I'm not sure your HSC has to be current to borrow). Either way I would wait several months between transfers to avoid the apearance of a straw purchase type situation.

FIL is out of state (the easiest way to get handguns not on CA's Roster is to not live here :)) so the father-daughter transfer is interstate, and that requires the CA FFL.

IIRC, a gift to one spouse in a marriage remains separate property of that spouse.

skylovia
01-21-2011, 8:21 PM
Hmm. Im interested now. Can my sister-in-law buy one(in Idaho), give it to my wife(her sister) while still in Idaho, and then give it to me? Im aware that I would have to register it once in CA.

Merle
01-21-2011, 9:25 PM
Can the FIL (or person who bought it out of state) become a CA resident for the purpose of the sale? Is there a limit/restriction on what constitutes residency (e.g. 1 day, 30 days, etc.)?

I'm a resident of NV, but recently applied for my CA ID, at what point can I sell/transfer a fire arm in CA?

ke6guj
01-21-2011, 9:41 PM
Hmm. Im interested now. Can my sister-in-law buy one(in Idaho), give it to my wife(her sister) while still in Idaho, and then give it to me? Im aware that I would have to register it once in CA.

no, the transfer from SIL to wife would violate federal law, since they are residents of different states, and the transfer was not facilitated by a dealer in the recipient's home state.

9mmlaw
01-22-2011, 12:09 PM

What a mess.

Thanks for your help.

Your wife will need an HSC to pick up the gun from the FFL.

Quser.619
01-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Check w/ your local FFL if they will do a Intra-family transfer from out-of-state. I went through several before finding one that would accept one from my mom who's out-of-state. The FFL required, though it's not the law, the Intra-family form filled out & accompanying the pistol.

Your wife will need a HSC to receive it, have to wait 10 days, file the paperwork & $19 w/ the CADOJ, receive confirmation & then can PPT to you. I'm not a 100% sure about waiting for the confirmation, but I'd imagine it will help when you go to PPT it.

I wouldn't suggest being there when the mother purchases it, you'll die in envy as she walks in, lays money down & within minutes, after an electronic background check, walks out w/ the firearm. No background check necessary if she has a CCW.

Idaho is great!