PDA

View Full Version : spring quality in AR LPKs...

bwiese
08-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Some of you here have seen me rag on 'bottom feeder' AR parts vendors about parts consistency, etc. And in ARs, little things can cause problems. Here's a reply to my reply from one guy building up a CA-legal AR:

"... On Sunday I put togther the lower that I will be using on the upper that I bought at the Reno show.
The LPK that I used was the one that I received when I purchased my Kit from M&A. The spring tension
was not even close tp the LPK that I purchased at the SJ Gun Exchange. Lesson learned!"

I myself have been burned by gunshow and bottom-feeder LPKs in years past.

There *is* a reason for specs, testing, etc. (and their associated extra cost). And, I believe, some of these small co's sell parts rejected by others.

YGWYPF.

6172crew
08-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Ive tried a Traders sports bottom feeder, LMT, Colt, DPMS and Stag.

Stag is by far the bets setup in a bag if you ask me. The traders sports one was garbage and the DPMS one had a pin out of spec. The rest were good to go.

bwiese
08-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Stag is by far the bets setup in a bag if you ask me. The traders sports one was garbage and the DPMS one had a pin out of spec. The rest were good to go.

I think LMT and Stag would be OK. I've heard about a lot of variations in DPMS parts kits and I'd shy away from 'em myself.

Wouldn't most true Colt LPKs have the .170" large hammer/trigger pins (and associated hammer, trigger and disconnector?) and thus not be suitable for milspec builds anyway?

PIRATE14
08-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Well go w/ STAG or RRA since they are nearly the same, at many a gunshow people walk up to me and want to know why the rcvr is out of spec.........well that is 99.9 percent of the time not true.

It's the LPK parts that are out of spec......DPMS, M1, etc.

Why not shell out the extra 10-15 bucks????? The price a few beers.

bwiese
08-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Pirate,

I generally agree with your comments but there are numerous reports that RRA upper receivers have very, very tight fits on other lower receiver brands.

GTKrockeTT
08-21-2006, 2:02 PM
Pirate,

I generally agree with your comments but there are numerous reports that RRA upper receivers have very, very tight fits on other lower receiver brands.

my RRA 9mm upper is very tight on my STAG lower. i've tried a couple other uppers on the same STAG lower, and they fit much better.

Matt C
08-21-2006, 2:39 PM
I had no problem with my RRA LPK but my buddy got a bushmaster LPK which has a bad trigger spring. The problem resulted in his trigger pin popping out every ten shots. Bushmaster did send him a new one at no charge. YMMV

radioactivelego
08-21-2006, 2:57 PM
My Model 1 Sales LPK was completely out of spec and a complete waste of time. Trigger was bent in forging, bolt catch spring wasn't even tensioning, trigger wouldn't allow the selector to slip into place and the selector had a bent point where it lays on fire or safe, pistol grip had to be bent in order to get over the lower, and the roll pins split in half.

Bought a DPMS parts kit at Ammo Brothers for $50 and I haven't turned back since.

Santa Cruz Armory
08-21-2006, 3:58 PM
My Model 1 Sales LPK was completely out of spec and a complete waste of time. Trigger was bent in forging, bolt catch spring wasn't even tensioning, trigger wouldn't allow the selector to slip into place and the selector had a bent point where it lays on fire or safe, pistol grip had to be bent in order to get over the lower, and the roll pins split in half.

Bought a DPMS parts kit at Ammo Brothers for $50 and I haven't turned back since.

Man! thats some bad luck!! My Model 1 kit is stellar, guess I got lucky. (I had them add a few custom parts)