PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time at Orosco Ridge - sort of LOL

Nefarious
08-21-2006, 9:42 AM
I have never been up to the ridge, so I figured a quick stop would settle me down untill I could actually spend a day shooting. Was up in Ramona yesterday so it made sence.

Was with the woman (she likes to think "THe Better Half", I would be the "Smarter Half" and just agree) and 3 other people in the back - in my ECLIPSE!!! LMAO... I get up there and turn onto the road, hit the dirt, slow down... slow down... and yup.. keep slowing down :D.

SCRAPE!!! THUD!!!... man it was great to see all of the expressions on their faces.
"I think we should turn back"
...HA!
"No" I say, "just a little further, we are almost there, just around this next turn (i think)". We got up pretty far, stopped short from my destination though. Came up to what I think was the LAST hill... looked pretty steep with a nice long crack in the middle of it (right before that hill was a pretty big area that we could have parked and looked out at the hills/mountains) ... I thought I could make it, but decided to turn around - i got tired of hearing the so called better half. "Dont worry, theres another way down, its one way up and another way down." I told her - I think I was trying to convince myself of that too :D

After pulling over 4 times on the way down to let a some people pass - both ways - I say "OK!!! We are comming back tomorrow.. this time to shoot" LMAO. Even though we just went to look, and did not even get out... it was still a good time.

Stanze
08-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Jacumba is a longer drive, but the terrain is easier on my Ford Focus hatchback.:D

Nefarious
08-21-2006, 10:08 AM
What about the Palomar Divide area - hilly and crazy like the road to Orosco?

Satex
08-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I see folks in toy cars come up there all the time (Honda Civics and such). But as you learned, its probably not a good idea to go up there with a car loaded with people. The ride up ther is best with a truck, or any elevated suspension.

ohsmily
08-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Orosco is full of junk, and has a few shooting spots where, if it is crowded, you have a serious concern about ricochets and crossfire. I do NOT like that place. It is either South Bay Rod and Gun, Jacumba, or my "secret" spot out in Imperial County (a little farther than Jacumba, but only by like 25 miles, and it is a GREAT spot...I and others who shoot there have steel targets at ranges from 100 yards out to 650 yards that stay at the place).

Rumpled
08-22-2006, 12:59 AM
ohsmily
If you want to tip anyone off on that place, I'm listening.
I'm going El Centro way for dove and would liek to scout some places out there.

bajaja
08-22-2006, 8:02 AM
Orosco is full of junk, and has a few shooting spots where, if it is crowded, you have a serious concern about ricochets and crossfire. I do NOT like that place. It is either South Bay Rod and Gun, Jacumba, or my "secret" spot out in Imperial County (a little farther than Jacumba, but only by like 25 miles, and it is a GREAT spot...I and others who shoot there have steel targets at ranges from 100 yards out to 650 yards that stay at the place).

wouldn't be someplace just north of octotillo, would it? We camp all over down there and would love to be able to add a little shooting time to the weekend.