View Full Version : Garand Doubling

08-20-2006, 6:19 PM
I was chatting with my neighbor the other day and he mentioned that his Garand was doubling. He thinks that it might be an ammo problem. I suggested that his sear might be worn, but then again, I'm no gunsmith and I've only fieldstripped mine once.

Any thoughts?

08-20-2006, 6:23 PM
Could be the firing pin... open the bolt and then tilt the rifle forward, if the firing pin peeks out of the bolt then you need a new firing pin. It happened to me a while ago.

08-20-2006, 6:26 PM
He almost has it dailed in, if he gets better he can dump the whole clip in one squeeze.:D

J/K I think your right, the sear sounds goofed. Im not a big M1 guy but my buddy is and he might be able to help if your near the bay area.

08-20-2006, 7:17 PM
San Leandro.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-20-2006, 10:51 PM
If the guy was shooting from the bench then the most likely cause was "milking" the trigger. It's a combination of not holding the rifle firmly enough and not following through with trigger pull. Recoil causes the rifle to bounce off of the shooters shoulder and then the trigger is pushed back into the shooters finger. Kind of like a mini bump fire.

This is very common when shooting and M1 from a bench.

08-21-2006, 6:35 PM
I'm in San Leandro and I would be glad to look at his Garand and make sure it's ok......

08-22-2006, 8:38 AM
Thanks. I'll chat with him today or tomorrow.