PDA

View Full Version : Scope, Which One?

Nylo
08-20-2006, 6:13 PM
Having been an iron site fans all of my life I have slowly been realizing my eye are not what they use to be. Hence I know little about scopes. My question is in regards to two Leupold scopes for a Browning Bl-22 of mine. One being a FX 4 28mm, the other a VX 2-4 28mm. Both are the same price, one being a variable the other fixed. Somewhere Iíve heard that fixed scopes are better. Any opinions on that, or which is the better choice?

Thanks,
Nylo

Pthfndr
08-20-2006, 7:00 PM
I have both types and like both for different reasons. My fixed power scopes are recent aquisitions and I've really come to like them a lot.

For the particular rifle you have I'd say go with the fixed 4x power scope. I have 2 rifles with 2.5x and I really like those for specific reasons. But most people find anything less than 4x just doesn't justify them having a scope. You might also want to consider a 6x fixed. Gives enough magnification to make a difference, and also a big field of view.

Just my $.02

scott.cr
08-20-2006, 7:39 PM
A fixed and variable in the same price range usually means the fixed will have better image quality and hold zero better.

The variables have more moving parts and more glass bits inside which can degrade image quality. Keeping a variable in the same image class as a fixed is $$$$.

(Of course, these are sweeping generalizing statements, but accurate 80% of the time.)

ivanimal
08-20-2006, 7:50 PM
I have varibles on all my long distance hunting rifles ( 300 win, 7mm rem,30-06, 35 whelen etc...)and fixed on all of my brushguns (45-70. 5mm rem magbeing the extremes,) YMMV. I like to keep it simple when game is involved.

Whitesmoke
08-20-2006, 8:04 PM
For a .22LR A fixed 4x is a good choice.

IMHO....for anyone looking at any of the cheaper scopes...I would usually recommend a fixed power over a variable. Every cheap variable I ever had was a piece of junk. (I'm speaking under $100).

I think you need to spend more money to get a good variable....

here's my baby....M1a loaded model with a Leupold 4.5x14x50mm LR/T
mil-dot ...:D shoots 3/4"-1" MOA with my handloads. 1" MOA with Federal GMM. I like leupold! ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/rvoyles/m14008.jpg

Nylo
08-21-2006, 2:37 PM
Thanks for the help.

I like simple so fixed it is.

Nylo