PDA

View Full Version : Kel Tec SU-16 question??

Santa Cruz Armory
08-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Is a Kel tec SU-16 "B" California legal?? are all the SU-16s CA legal??

blkA4alb
08-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Yes the SU-16 B is legal. The SU-16 A,B, and CA are legal. The SU-16C and D are not legal here.

Dont Tread on Me
08-20-2006, 8:53 PM
+1.

There are rumblings about support for a semi auto ban being shopped around sacramento but the SU16 is fall well outside of the current OLL & permanently attached theatrics.

I own a SU16 CA myself and love the gun. Reliable and accurate if not the best or most solid looking gun.

HUTCH 7.62
08-21-2006, 5:51 PM
Yes the SU-16 B is legal. The SU-16 A,B, and CA are legal. The SU-16C and D are not legal here.
i OWN A ca MODEL BUT NEVER FIGUED OUT HOW THE THREADED BARREL PASSED DOJ though. I love mine after putting an extractor enhancer it is about as reliable as an AK. Dont buy the B model get a CA with the D models forward grip.

grammaton76
08-21-2006, 5:56 PM
i OWN A ca MODEL BUT NEVER FIGUED OUT HOW THE THREADED BARREL PASSED DOJ though. I love mine after putting an extractor enhancer it is about as reliable as an AK. Dont buy the B model get a CA with the D models forward grip.

Threaded barrels only apply as assault weapon features on pistols. Rifles may have threaded barrels all they want.

And when you say forward grip, you just mean the quad rail, right? Forward grip might lead people to think you're talking about a forward pistol grip (which you can't have on an SU-16 in CA unless you did something silly like pin the mag).

ohsmily
08-21-2006, 6:27 PM

As Gram said, threaded barrels aren't a California AW feature...:rolleyes:

And when you said, get the "D model" forward grip...I guess you mean forward handguard with picatinny rails, because forward vertical grips aren't legal on SU-16's...
The picatinny rails are cute on an SU-16, but you can't put a forward vertical grip and I am not sure that they are stable enough to warrant putting an optic on it that far forward....so, if you get it, it is just for looks.

grammaton76
08-21-2006, 6:31 PM
The picatinny rails are cute on an SU-16, but you can't put a forward vertical grip and I am not sure that they are stable enough to warrant putting an optic on it that far forward....so, if you get it, it is just for looks.

I seem to recall a guy on here who had a picatinny rail reaching all the way back and using the top-mounted picatinny rail for stabilization. I imagine that might actually be stable enough for optics - at least, a red dot...

bu-bye
08-21-2006, 6:36 PM
I am not sure that they are stable enough to warrant putting an optic on it that far forward....so, if you get it, it is just for looks.

No, its is not stable enough. Maybe for Barn-MOA but I would not expect any group to be better the 3 feet at 100 yards. Its great for lights or maybe a laser and bi-pod but I'd have to give a big NO for a redot or scope. It does look a lot better and feel better too and that is why poeple put it on. The bi-pod that is built in is kinda a joke so most scrap it.

phobos512
08-21-2006, 7:42 PM
No, its is not stable enough. Maybe for Barn-MOA but I would not expect any group to be better the 3 feet at 100 yards. Its great for lights or maybe a laser and bi-pod but I'd have to give a big NO for a redot or scope. It does look a lot better and feel better too and that is why poeple put it on. The bi-pod that is built in is kinda a joke so most scrap it.

Psh tosh...I scored a few hits into a milk jug at around 100yds a few weekends back with my buddies' CA. I thought it was freakin' sweet!

bu-bye
08-21-2006, 8:54 PM
Psh tosh...I scored a few hits into a milk jug at around 100yds a few weekends back with my buddies' CA. I thought it was freakin' sweet!

We are talking about mounting optics on the forend handguard not mounting them on the top rail of the receiver. My SU-16CA shot a sub MOA group so I know its an accurate gun but mounting optics on the forend that has a lot of play will cause poor accuarcy.....or Barn-MOA:D

HUTCH 7.62
08-23-2006, 5:56 PM
Threaded barrels only apply as assault weapon features on pistols. Rifles may have threaded barrels all they want.

And when you say forward grip, you just mean the quad rail, right? Forward grip might lead people to think you're talking about a forward pistol grip (which you can't have on an SU-16 in CA unless you did something silly like pin the mag).Yes I meant forward hand guard not pistol grip sorry for the confusion.