PDA

View Full Version : Is Norinco 7.62x39 ammo corrossive?

classical_buff
08-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to know if the Norinco 7.62x39 ammo is corrossive or not.
Picked up some from garage sale but the seller wasn't sure.
I know it's not the smartest thing but considering how expensive 7.62x39 ammos are these days. It comes in a 20-rd, white & green paper box and indicates that it's non-corrossive but I don't know if it can be trusted.

Also, does anyone know of a good way to clean a rifle if one uses a corrossive ammo? I have heard some people are using Simple Green but that stuff suppose to wipe out the blueing of the gun.

Thanks,

-classical_buff

lostark374
08-19-2006, 11:12 PM
give it a good wipe out with windex and then clean and lube as usual ....do the wipe out at the range.

Stanze
08-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Take a magnet to the casing and bullet to see if they are steel and/or steel core.

If it's steel-core(magnetic), you may not want to shoot where a brush fire can start and ask the range if steel-core ammo is ok on their range.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-19-2006, 11:33 PM
I have no experience with Norinco ammo, but have read on several forums that Norinco started printing "non-corrosive" on the boxes well before they started shipping actual non-corrosive ammo here. The timeline goes...

Corrosive ammo with nothing mentioned on boxes
Corrosive ammo marked as non-corrosive on boxes
Non-corrosive ammo marked as non-corrosive on boxes

I'm not sure if the real non-corrrosive stuff came in different colored boxes or what. But I'd be wary either way. The only thing that will remove the corrosive residue from your rifle is water or some water containing solution.

xenophobe
08-20-2006, 1:21 AM
If it's marked non-corrosive, the powder is not corrosive. The primers are slightly corrosive. Norinco 7.62x39 is better than Wolf.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-20-2006, 2:34 AM
If it's marked non-corrosive, the powder is not corrosive. The primers are slightly corrosive. Norinco 7.62x39 is better than Wolf.

Hey Xenophobe. This is the second time I've seen you refer to "slightly corrosive" primers. The first time I thought you were just joking.

Potassium chlorate primers are all equally corrosive. There is no way to make a potassium chlorate primer "slightly" corrosive. Sometimes people will observe a particular ammunition to be more or less corrosive than usual, but this is likely due to differences in relative humidity at the times the ammo was fired.

It's just the priming compound that can make ammunition corrosive. Smokeless powder has been non-corrosive for 100 years.