PDA

View Full Version : Could the impending OLL debate take down SB23?

Cato
08-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Is there any possiblity that the OLL legal battle could void SB23? It seems like there are so many holes in the bill; holes which the DOJ made bigger and the gunowners of California will exploit to the hilt. It might just be a pipe dream on my part, but is it possible? One year from now, could SB23 be in the legal junkyard or will it morph into incomprensible hydra?

anotherone
08-19-2006, 11:14 PM
As I've said before the gun control crowd has used mass hysteria to back themselves into a political corner. They're always right and we're always wrong. Hence if a ban failed it failed because it wasn't strong enough. I expect them to turn SB-23 into a vicious ban that covers almost all semi-auto rifles.

This whole thing is going to continue until the US Supreme Court hears a 2nd amendment case (which is getting more likely by the day consider its conservative pro-gun composition). I'd love to see how Samuel Alito and Roberts would rule on something involving SB-23...

Anyhow expect it to get a lot worse before it gets any better. The only thing we have going in our favor is that we're an island of gun control in an ocean of pro-gun states. The quilt of gun control attempting to create a "state within a state" is getting out of hand and is destined to one day implode.

chris
08-19-2006, 11:19 PM
i would love to this agenda implode on a grand scale. we all knew this bill was rammed through the legislature only to have the DOJ and courts figure out what to do about it. it was feel good legislation that's all it was.

Cato
08-19-2006, 11:42 PM
it was feel good legislation that's all it was.

You hit the nail on the head: it's all cosmetic. Pistol grips only become really useful with full auto/burst mode. "Hi capacity mags" ban doesnt matter since it takes only a second to change mags. Collapsable stocks? Pistols are way more concealable. Criminals can get anything they can pay for anyway. SB23 only affects law abiding collectors like us!

GW
08-20-2006, 12:29 AM
SB23 only affects law abiding collectors like us!

As do all gun laws
Criminals don't care about laws
Thats why they're criminals!!!

Mudvayne540ld
08-20-2006, 12:38 AM
yea..... you can do alot more damage with an illegal sawed off shotgun w/00Buck, then with a legaly store bought AR/AK
+ it is way easier to buy a legal shotgun, and use a pipe cutter to whack the barrel down.Cheaper and more effective.
But CA libs just dont get it, and they never will. =/

anotherone
08-20-2006, 12:59 AM
And remember: even if the courts do shut down SB-23, getting a new version of the law passed will become the election campaign of the day. But my credit card stands ready to be completely maxed out the day SB-23 lapses even for a week or two :D!

grammaton76
08-20-2006, 1:29 AM
I know what's going on now.
I don't know what's going on tomorrow.

But what we all oughtta be doing to erode SB23, is converting more shooters over to the cause. Print out some fliers, bring 'em with you to the range, give 'em out whenever you have people asking about your rifle. Off-list rifles are 'viral', and nowadays I'm frequently running into folks with OLLs who've never even heard of Calguns.

The more this thing spreads, the fewer people will uphold a new ban if SB23 falls, and the more people would vote to repeal it if it were to come up.

Remember - pre-OLL, there were plenty of shooters who didn't care about SB23 because they had no personal stake in it. Post-OLL, we're turning on new people to AR's and AK's every day. As soon as someone gets a Californicated rifle into their hands, the first thing they realize is just what they're missing out on. They go from someone who might vote against a repeal (think your typical remchester fan) to someone who'd vote for its repeal in a heartbeat.

Blacktail 8541
08-20-2006, 6:06 AM
As grammaton76 said, Any person you show your OLL to is a potential swing vote to the defeat of SB23 if it ever comes up for another vote. I never thought I would have another AR in my hands again till the OLL situation was started. I now have 2 completly built with plans for more reciever purchases.
I take the time to show people who are even the littlest bit interested and explain how to have a CA compliant 223 self loader.