PDA

View Full Version : 80% 1911 frame, still lawful?

anotherone
08-19-2006, 10:26 PM
I remember a while back reading a letter from someone at the DOJ that it was in fact lawful to finish off an 80% 1911 frame as long as it was registered, etc. for personal use. Is this still the case or have they changed their mind about this position just like they seem to do about everything these days?

bwiese
08-19-2006, 10:30 PM
I have conflicting information direct from former Deputy AG/Asst. Firearms Div Director Tim Rieger, with Dir. Randy Rossi looking on. This was during a "meet the DOJ" dinner sponsored by Golden State 2nd Amend. Council in San Jose in early 2004.

Basically, you can't make an unsafe handgun, he said. (Except for exempt single-action revolvers and, in 2006, certain single-shot pistols.)

It would be interesting to see a letter from DOJ saying this was legal, and who signed the letter (i.e., phone clerk?)

artherd
08-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Generally, 80% reciever builds are legal if you do not happen to create a gun that is otherwise illegal (machinegun, aw, .50bmg rifle, saturday night special, unsafe handgun, SBR, AOW, SBS, Destructive Device... PHEW!)

Regarding handguns howe er, the current interpretation is, one may not make an 'unsafe handgun' (ie an untested handgun.) even for personal use (ie an 80% build).

I suppose one COULD produce several (5? how many before federal manufacturing charges kick in?) copies and pay DOJ testing labs their $thousands to test them, and get the design 'listed'. Possibly.

For now, for all intents and purposes, homebuilt 1911s and indeed homebuilt handguns in general are dead in CA.