PDA

View Full Version : Selling C&R rifles in state?

misterjake
01-19-2011, 11:41 PM
If the rifle (longgun) is older than 50 years, can't I sell it to another California resident without going through a FFL?

The rifles are WWII, so they are more than 50 years old.

BayAreaShooter
01-19-2011, 11:50 PM
You can do a cash and carry with another California resident as long as the long gun is 50+ years old. Neither of you need to have a FFL 03. I am not sure about shipping. If I am wrong in any way I am sure someone will chime in soon enough.

bigstick61
01-19-2011, 11:50 PM
On a related note, what is the legality of shipping such rifles intrastate to non-FFLs?

misterjake
01-19-2011, 11:57 PM
On a related note, what is the legality of shipping such rifles intrastate to non-FFLs?

That's what I want to know too. I know I can meet the person face to face without a FFL but can I mail them to him as well?

The youngest rifle was built in '44. So, they're 67 years old or older.

jtmkinsd
01-20-2011, 12:10 AM
That's what I want to know too. I know I can meet the person face to face without a FFL but can I mail them to him as well?

The youngest rifle was built in '44. So, they're 67 years old or older.

No need for an FFL, so shipping a C&R long gun inside CA is perfectly fine. Handguns are a different story. Here is the relevent PC for the exemption:

12078(t)(2) Subdivision (d) and paragraph (1) of subdivision (f) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm that is not a handgun, which is a curio or relic manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.