PDA

View Full Version : So does the California Rifle and Pistol Association do anything?

CalGunsNoob
08-19-2006, 2:49 PM
Evidently they couldn't be bothered to attend the meeting. And other members have said they can't be reached.

Do they do anything other than collect membership dues?

SemiAutoSam
08-19-2006, 3:00 PM
It sure looks at least on the surface that all they do is collect the long green from their membership.

Maybe someone could ask them directly what they do for the dues that are paid.

I love the expression on someones face when they dont have a clue of what to say when their asked a direct question.

Hunter
08-19-2006, 3:15 PM
Well, the confusing part I have is that Chuck Michel is the Attorney on record for both the NRA and the CRPA here in the state. Furthermore, in FCI's letter to the DOJ on the proposed changes, they referenced the "NRA AND CRPA" letter by Chuck Michel in their comments. So that makes me think Michel is actively representing both. Plus Michel has his own column in the monthly "Firing Line" magazine CRPA puts out.

However, I believe Chuck Michel only introduced himself as representing the NRA at the meeting....I could be wrong here as it is possible Chuck didn't say it at all, since Paul Payne had already referred to Chuck as NRA's attorney.

So I'm a little confused on this issue. I do know that CRPA doesn't show anyone else representing them other than Michel.

Mike Hass: I know you are not a big fan of the CRPA and maynot follow that side, but do you have any insight here?

Matt C
08-19-2006, 3:47 PM
I know they support anti-gun and anti hunting bills.

SemiAutoSam
08-19-2006, 3:50 PM
Well then their name is way off.

if their like that then their name should be CARP California Anti Rifle & Pistol.

mikehaas
08-19-2006, 4:11 PM
Well, the confusing part I have is that Chuck Michel is the Attorney on record for both the NRA and the CRPA here in the state. Furthermore, in FCI's letter to the DOJ on the proposed changes, they referenced the "NRA AND CRPA" letter by Chuck Michel in their comments. So that makes me think Michel is actively representing both. Plus Michel has his own column in the monthly "Firing Line" magazine CRPA puts out.

However, I believe Chuck Michel only introduced himself as representing the NRA at the meeting....I could be wrong here as it is possible Chuck didn't say it at all, since Paul Payne had already referred to Chuck as NRA's attorney.

So I'm a little confused on this issue. I do know that CRPA doesn't show anyone else representing them other than Michel.

Mike Hass: I know you are not a big fan of the CRPA and maynot follow that side, but do you have any insight here?
Chuck is NRA's Chief Attorney in California. He is also employed by CRPA. I work with Chuck as I do his websites - great guy, great attorney. Now, attorney's aren't lobbyists, and usually don't make the political decisions for the groups they represent so it would be a mistake to involve him in CRPA's lobbying decisions or whether CRPA is or is not doing a good job. Chuck and his staff do a superlative job for NRA.

I will be posting a letter from CRPA to DOJ against the proposed regulations on Chuck's site soon, probably Monday.

Mike

Whitesmoke
08-19-2006, 5:40 PM
Mike...do you have a link to Chucks website?

bwiese
08-19-2006, 6:43 PM
CRPA (and to some extent GOC) are professional lobbying firms that generally have a progun slant (but not always). While the NRA's only responsibility is to 2nd Amendment freedoms, CRPA etc appear to be paid contract lobbyists. Some of these folks are intertwined with other lobbyists thru relationships, and end up in odd situations like CRPA supporting antigun Torrico bill and the anti hunting dog bill...

The NRA folks saw the CRPA folks walk by after leaving the DoJ meeting on the 16th. The CRPA folks didn't say anything and seemed to wanna walk by quickly.

Hunter
08-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Mike...do you have a link to Chucks website?

http://www.calgunlaws.com/

The link above is the gun law site and the link below is his standard website

http://www.tmllp.com/

mikehaas
08-21-2006, 2:56 PM
I will be posting a letter from CRPA to DOJ against the proposed regulations on Chuck's site soon, probably Monday.
Here you are:
http://calgunlaws.com/article-465.html

Mike