PDA

View Full Version : Mag issue; not sure what the problem is...

xrMike
08-19-2006, 12:49 PM
So far I've been shooting my OLL AR in a fixed mag+pistol grip configuration using the Prince50 mag lock. I wanted to go out tomorrow and try the gripless/detachable mag setup using Buh-Bye's SRB. So last night I removed the pistol grip and put on the SRB. Then I removed the Prince50 set screw on the mag catch button and removed the empty magazine. So far so good...

However, when I tried to re-insert the empty mag again, it would not lock into place. I tried several times and the empty mag would not engage the mag catch. Puzzled, I then tried inserting a LOADED mag, and that one DID lock into place... With a loaded mag inserted, the mag catch button works like it's supposed to -- push the button and the mag drops out of the receiver...

Huh? What's going on here? Shouldn't an empty mag lock into place the same as a loaded one?

My apologies if this is a dumb question, but obviously I don't know enough about my rifle to figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mudvayne540ld
08-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Mine goes in just fine loaded and unloaded. :?
Does it fall out after you chamber a round? Or does it stay in untill the end?

blkA4alb
08-19-2006, 1:40 PM
Thats odd, I was thinking that maybe you didn't screw the mag catch in far enough but logically the loaded mag should fall out and not the unloaded one.

Very strange :confused: .

xrMike
08-19-2006, 1:42 PM
Wait, I got it backwards! My bad... I just checked again, and it's a LOADED mag that will not lock into position with the bolt forward. An EMPTY mag locks into place just fine with the bolt forward.

When I try to insert a loaded mag it's like it doesn't go up far enough to engage the mag catch. If I pull the bolt back with the charging handle, the loaded mag WILL move upward and lock into place. However, when I release the charging handle, it seems to hang up and does not move all the way forward and push the round into battery. It only goes halfway forward, and leaves the round half in the chamber and half outside the chamber...

This rifle was flawless with the fixed mag. Not a single failure to feed/eject/fire.

blkA4alb
08-19-2006, 1:44 PM
Wait, I got it backwards! My bad... I just checked again, and it's a LOADED mag that will not lock into position with the bolt forward. An EMPTY mag locks into place just fine with the bolt forward.

When I try to insert a loaded mag it's like it doesn't go up far enough to engage the mag catch. If I pull the bolt back with the charging handle, the loaded mag WILL move upward and lock into place. However, when I release the charging handle, it seems to hang up and does not move all the way forward and push the round into battery. It only goes halfway forward, and leaves the round half in the chamber and half outside the chamber...

This rifle was flawless with the fixed mag. Not a single failure to feed/eject/fire.
Ah, now that makes sense. Thats perfectly normal, and it will lock in. Just give it a firm slam. It wont go in as easily because theres pressure from the rounds and the spring, when you slide it in there you have to actually compress the spring that little bit more against the resistance of the carrier. Same thing with pistols :D .

So in other words, just whack it up there!

EvolutionGSR
08-19-2006, 4:57 PM
Ah, now that makes sense. Thats perfectly normal, and it will lock in. Just give it a firm slam. It wont go in as easily because theres pressure from the rounds and the spring, when you slide it in there you have to actually compress the spring that little bit more against the resistance of the carrier. Same thing with pistols :D .

So in other words, just whack it up there!

I experienced this the first time I tried gripless too. With experience from some of my 1911's it came natural for me to hit the mag in if the mag didn't catch very easily with the slide forward.

As far as your fail to feed problem, a little more info about your setup may help someone out there answer that problem. I'm not so experienced with these things yet either. Does it do it every single time or just sometimes?

C.G.
08-19-2006, 8:07 PM

Who made the mag?

P.S. If you can make LS on some Monday, let me know, and I'll help you with troubleshooting.

anotherone
08-19-2006, 8:57 PM
If the bolt is forward you're going to have to tap it in from the bottom. Just slap it on in there! When you fire the last round though and the bolt is open it will be easy to get a loaded mag in there. If it's really firm, just open the bolt first before loading the mag.

Ryan HBC
08-19-2006, 9:23 PM
I prefer to load my 30 rounders with 28 rounds each to help with easy mag loading. It seems like with a good stiff silicon spring, those first couple of rounds are really under a lot of pressure and don't feed as well also.

Mudvayne540ld
08-19-2006, 10:59 PM
+1
on the Colts I've shot, we take out 4, otherwise it just falls out.
try backing a round out of the mag.

Jicko
08-20-2006, 2:41 AM

1) down load your mag and try again, ie. load only like 1/2 ur mag's capacity and try

2) try a different magazine

3) lock ur magazine, and see if it is still flawless as before...

xrMike
08-20-2006, 3:46 PM
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I didn't go shooting today after all, went dirtbike riding instead, but after getting back I read this thread and tried a few things...

First off, the failure to feed must have been a fluke. Every time I tried today, with a mag locked into place, the first round went into battery, no problem. So I'm not worried about that issue anymore.

The mags are Bushmaster 10-rounders. I have 2 of them. The one that was giving me problems yesterday was fully loaded. So I removed 1 round and the problem still existed (wouldn't lock into place, even with a solid whack on the bottom). However, when I removed another one, the mag functioned correctly and DID lock into place. So bottom line for Mag #1 is: 8 rounds works, 9 or 10 rounds does not.

Then I loaded Mag #2 with 10 rounds and gave it a whack into the mag well. It worked! Locked into place just fine. So evidently the problem is with Mag #1 only.

What's interesting is that Mag #2 is the one I was using in the fixed mag configuration. So that one has been cycled and used for 200-300 rounds so far. Mag #1 (the problem one) has never been used yet.

I'm guessing/hoping the problem will go away once #1 is cycled 20-30 times and the spring softens up a little... ???

Anyway, I've got them numbered now so I can keep track of which one is which. If the problem doesn't go away, I'll chuck #1 and get a new one.

Again, thanks for all the help! I didn't even know where to start, as far as troubleshooting goes...

C.G.
08-20-2006, 4:07 PM
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I didn't go shooting today after all, went dirtbike riding instead, but after getting back I read this thread and tried a few things...

First off, the failure to feed must have been a fluke. Every time I tried today, with a mag locked into place, the first round went into battery, no problem. So I'm not worried about that issue anymore.

The mags are Bushmaster 10-rounders. I have 2 of them. The one that was giving me problems yesterday was fully loaded. So I removed 1 round and the problem still existed (wouldn't lock into place, even with a solid whack on the bottom). However, when I removed another one, the mag functioned correctly and DID lock into place. So bottom line for Mag #1 is: 8 rounds works, 9 or 10 rounds does not.

Then I loaded Mag #2 with 10 rounds and gave it a whack into the mag well. It worked! Locked into place just fine. So evidently the problem is with Mag #1 only.

What's interesting is that Mag #2 is the one I was using in the fixed mag configuration. So that one has been cycled and used for 200-300 rounds so far. Mag #1 (the problem one) has never been used yet.

I'm guessing/hoping the problem will go away once #1 is cycled 20-30 times and the spring softens up a little... ???

Anyway, I've got them numbered now so I can keep track of which one is which. If the problem doesn't go away, I'll chuck #1 and get a new one.

Again, thanks for all the help! I didn't even know where to start, as far as troubleshooting goes...

Try "exercising" the mag" a few times with a wooden dowel or stick. Never had that problem with my Bushmaster mags, but did with Colt and Pro-mags.