PDA

View Full Version : Best conditions for Jack Rabbits around Susanville / Nevada boarder?

Quinc
01-19-2011, 4:39 PM
First time I went out here a few years ago there where hundreds of jacks everywhere, and people where shooting them as fast as they could reload.

I went out last weekend and with 5 people walking in a grid for about 4 miles we only saw 10-15 of them. Being it is a 2hr drive for me I would like to go again when conditions are better. Any tips on the best weather/time of year or any other factors I should look at when hunting jacks?

tony270
01-19-2011, 6:41 PM
I'd say from April to September is the best baring areas that are hunted hard. When my hunting partners conduct a group hunt we walk a static line.

DirtNapKing
01-19-2011, 7:37 PM
There use to be a ton of jacks up the 36 from Inskip Hill to as far as the eye could see. I'm thinking the high population of coyote and bobcats is what brought the rabbit numbers down up there.

Quinc
01-19-2011, 8:43 PM
I'd say from April to September is the best baring areas that are hunted hard. When my hunting partners conduct a group hunt we walk a static line.

There where 5 of us walking in a grid about 100ft apart. I was wondering if it where better on sunny days vs cloudy, hot vs cold, maybe after a rain? :o

badhabit90
01-19-2011, 9:43 PM
my father in law tells me -he lives in Sparks-it is best early in morning time. if it gets too hot, they go back into their holes to stay cool. they come out when its cool to munch on the foliage. tis also when the 'yotes are out as well....munchin on wabbits. hahaha...lots of BLM land to cover when we go out.

chicoredneck
01-20-2011, 8:20 AM
I too hunt the Nevada border near Susanville. We have gone there for many years now and the rabbit population is cyclical. The population in that area has been down in numbers the last few years, but last year there was the begginnings of a comeback in the population. I find the best time of year to go is late summer and weather dosen't seem to have much baring on success. There has also been a lot more pressure in that area. It seems that every one and their mother has been out there shooting lately and this can't be helping their numbers either.

ZOMBIEHUNTER
01-20-2011, 10:43 AM
I like to hunt right after a light snow it seems to bring the most jacks out.When it is hot i like to go out in the evening.Here where i live we can do it at night with spotlights.

tony270
01-20-2011, 11:12 AM
There where 5 of us walking in a grid about 100ft apart. I was wondering if it where better on sunny days vs cloudy, hot vs cold, maybe after a rain? :o

Itís always better on overcast days, after a light rain, early morning and late evening hours, but they can be jumped all day. Most jackrabbits scratch out a bed on flat ground near a bush in the shade during the heat of the day. They avoided burrows for the most part, but they will use a burrow for birthing and as a last resort for escape, cottontail rabbits use burrows and thickets to escape and for birthing. Jackrabbits use speed and agility to escape. They at time are active during the heat of the day and run from bush to bush keeping an eye out for ever present raptors. The best way to spot them is to go out before dawn. And as dawn nears jackrabbits will start to move from feeding and watering areas to daytime bedding and resting areas.

Another thing to consider is that newbie hunters don't know how to spot game in the field and they may be scaring the jackrabbits off with out spoting them.

Quinc
01-20-2011, 3:21 PM
Another thing to consider is that newbie hunters don't know how to spot game in the field and they may be scaring the jackrabbits off with out spoting them.

I'm sure I fit in this category, any tips or links that I can read to get improve my skills?

Also for jacks you need to have a shotgun that only allows 3rds right, is this the same for rifles or can I use a 10rd mag in my AR?

Thank you for all the help! :D

badhabit90
01-20-2011, 5:03 PM
i just load up my .22 AR and head out.....i dont think there is a restriction on a .22 on BLM land...

tony270
01-20-2011, 6:08 PM
I'm sure I fit in this category, any tips or links that I can read to get improve my skills?

Also for jacks you need to have a shotgun that only allows 3rds right, is this the same for rifles or can I use a 10rd mag in my AR?

Thank you for all the help! :D

Yes the regulations says only 3 rounds for shotgun, 2 in the mag and one in the chamber, yes 10 rounds for a rifle is good to go.

. 1) I never stare when I'm trying to spot a jack unless I am still hunting. We as humans have some of the same senses that animals have. When we are looking for an animal (besides outstanding colors) we notice movement first. So when I’m out hunting I keep my head moving from side to side while gazing the sounding area.

2) When I see a jack jump I'll watch it until it disappears. And then I'll make a half circle move (or what they call a bonding move in the Infantry) in order to flank it.

3) If I have jacks that are getting up as soon as they see me (way out of shotgun range), I’ll camouflage up and wear an archer’s hood. That seems to make them stop close enough for a rifle shot, and sometimes closer.

4) If I miss a jack I'll come back a week or so later, but approach from a different direction and 9 times out of 10 I will jump that same jack.

5) This is the palce I hide my Indian tricks.

6) Jacks do as do cottontails when they are chased. They run in a circle, when a dog jumps one we just stay put and eventually they will run full circle right back to you. Jacks run up to a 1/4 mile circle while cottontails run only 100 yards or so. It's not practical to hunt jacks like that but that's the way they hunt cottontails.

7) When I'm out in the field I listen too. A jack will make a deep 1 to 1 1/4 second sound when he want to give a warning to others. He might do it 2 times in a row. It sort of sounds like the dying jack rabbit sound, but very low, slow, and soft, and it travels a long way. When I hear that sound I can almost be sure that there are more than a few jacks in the area. I 've fooled yotes and one bobcat using that soft warning call.

When we think like that game we are after we have a better chance of bagging it. Tony

tony270
01-20-2011, 6:22 PM
This is how the .17 hmr dose on jacks up to 100 yards easy, graphic pics so don't click on the photo if you don't care to see.

Abenaki
01-20-2011, 6:50 PM
The rabbit populations are way down this year, in the area that you are trying to hunt.
In fact it is down right shocking how low the numbers are this year.

Take care
Abenaki

Abenaki
01-20-2011, 6:58 PM
I forgot to give you a tip for hunting rabbits.

When you are walking......take your time. Stop often. Alot of times, just taking a 2 minute break will unnerve a rabbit that was gonna let you walk on by.

Take care
Abenaki

E-man
02-02-2011, 4:40 PM
Does anyone know of any good places to hunt rabbit in BUTTE County?

Manolito
02-02-2011, 5:25 PM
Out behind Black Butte Dam is good Jack Rabbit hunting but that is in Glenn county. You can go all the way to Paskanta on dirt roads out there.
I live 20 miles from Susanville and the rabbit population is not very good in my opinion last year and with the sun we have had I haven't seen a big population this year. We did have four seperate hatchings of quail this year.
Bill

TrailerparkTrash
02-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Something else that many people don't know about jack rabbits is that they are "migratory." You may see them in abundance in one area one season, only to never see them again in the same area for several years later.

Quinc
02-03-2011, 6:07 PM
Does anyone know of any good places to hunt rabbit in BUTTE County?

Great avatar E-man!

Interloper
02-03-2011, 8:38 PM
Where are you hunting? Near Hallelujah Junction or further North?

Quinc
02-03-2011, 9:43 PM
Where are you hunting? Near Hallelujah Junction or further North?

About 15-20 minutes past the junction toward Susanville. You know of any sweet spots out there, you would be willing to share. :D

Gryff
02-03-2011, 9:47 PM
Aren't they a game animal in California? If so, make sure you eat the ones you shoot.

bambklr
02-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Aren't they a game animal in California? If so, make sure you eat the ones you shoot.

I don't shoot too many jacks but I have a deal worked out with the fish gods,I take them to the coast and put them in a cage and leave them overnight on the bottom of the ocean and by the next morning they have transformed into big crabs:D

Interloper
02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
About 15-20 minutes past the junction toward Susanville. You know of any sweet spots out there, you would be willing to share. :D

If you go the other way, towards Border town, there is a Wildlife Area or whatever it's called on both sides of the freeway (right near the bug station). Just close the gates behind you as you go in and be careful as you work Eastwards because the Nevada border is not marked!
Supposedly the best spot though is North of there and East of Honey Lake. I've never hunted there but I guy I know in Susanville hunts it with English pointers for Chukar. He says you really should have both a CA and NV license though because it's very easy to end up hunting on the wrong side of the border.

I think I know where you are hunting. I was told it's a good area.

Quinc
02-06-2013, 4:51 PM
Anyone go out there again lately? Populations back up at all?

badhabit90
02-07-2013, 7:26 PM
my father in law is out there on the NV side on BLM land. he goes out for the 'yotes and says he hasnt seen many Jacks....but knows when summer comes , its on again...as he didnt go after jacks this year...and the cotton tails he doesnt shoot, neither do i. too cute and they dont run from you hardly at all....

Quinc
02-08-2013, 8:56 AM
my father in law is out there on the NV side on BLM land. he goes out for the 'yotes and says he hasnt seen many Jacks....but knows when summer comes , its on again...as he didnt go after jacks this year...and the cotton tails he doesnt shoot, neither do i. too cute and they dont run from you hardly at all....

How did he do on yotes?

badhabit90
02-08-2013, 7:09 PM
How did he do on yotes?

havent spoke with him in a couple weeks now. gimme a day or two and i will find out.:o

Manolito
02-08-2013, 8:18 PM
I was out north east of Susanville last week on 395 north and the burn area had a lot of jacks. The backside of Honey lake in the skedaddle mountains there are a few Jacks but not an abundance.

Bill

ElvenSoul
02-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Kinda burned on Jacks as it has been a long while since I've shot a edible one.

badhabit90
02-09-2013, 11:30 AM
we ususally go out past the Indian reservation on the Sparks side and hit some Jacks...thats where we have been going out EARLY in the morning to stalk some 'yotes when i visit. last time i went out with him it was 17* at 6am. brrrr...only saw one yote....my father in law saw her first, shot, and missed....ahh well....he pulled it off to the right. he was so frustrated, he checked his zero at 100 yards and he was dead on the target. so then he knew he pulled it.

gsparesa
02-09-2013, 1:37 PM
Do you people eat the varmint or do you feed it to the hogs &dogs?

thomashoward
02-09-2013, 3:05 PM
I forgot to give you a tip for hunting rabbits.

When you are walking......take your time. Stop often. Alot of times, just taking a 2 minute break will unnerve a rabbit that was gonna let you walk on by.

Take care
Abenaki

and don't walk directly toward them. They are good to eat in the Spring. When you skin one out and there are rings on the liver walk away. wash your hands, they carry Tularemia. In the Summer they are rank

Quinc
02-09-2013, 5:48 PM
Do you people eat the varmint or do you feed it to the hogs &dogs?

Plan is to put them all into a pile with an electric caller nearby, perch up on the hill side a few hundred yards away and take the yotes out next.

Jack Rabbits are known to carry alot of bugs and disease, so most the time they arent worth bothering with.