PDA

View Full Version : Doj Comments

cathog
08-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Anybody who has reviewed the comment letters (http://calgunlaws.com/article-465.html)to the DOJ's proposed regulation to redefine "capacity to accept detachable magazine" now knows the importance of tracking DOJ comments. We frequently do public records act requests to obtain correspondence between the DOJ and the public, but rarely do we get all the information that falls within our requests (such as e-mail correpondence with the public). This information is critical to our ability to understand the DOJ's position[s] on various issues.

For that reason, we are requesting that anybody who has letters or e-mail from the DOJ forward copies of those letters and e-mails to the address below:

DOJcomments (at) gmail.com (mailto:%44%4F%4A%43%6F%6D%6D%65%6E%74%73%40%67%6D %61%69%6C%2E%63%6F%6D)

Thank you,

Jason Davis

artherd
08-19-2006, 5:13 PM
Just an FYI folks, these guys work closely with Trutanich-Michel LLP, one of the top 2a law firms and the NRA's attorney here in CA. Please send in any and all letters you have, it is important to maintain a cohesive record of DOJ correspondence.

This is probally worth a sticky.

bwiese
08-19-2006, 5:38 PM
A friend 'in the biz' is digging up a DoJ FD letter that says (in essence) the DoJ FD has no idea what really constitutes a flash suppressor nor what standards could rationally be used to determine if there is flash suppression...

I'll post it and send it when I get it...

grammaton76
08-20-2006, 12:52 AM
I don't have any OLL related correspondence, but I do have some correspondence with them regarding magazines and verifying that they don't have problems with the Rashid - the Hakim's little brother, that looks very much like an SKS.

If this is just an OLL related request, obviously what I have isn't relevant... however, if you're just looking to archive more or less everything they've said to folks, I'll contribute what I have.

cathog
08-20-2006, 8:05 AM
We are developing our database of all DOJ comments, not just comments related to AWs. So, any letters or correspondence from the DOJ is welcome.

Thank you,

Jason

SemiAutoSam
08-20-2006, 8:10 AM
There are always the memos that first state they are going to list.

And then some time later they say they arent going to list.

But they most likely have that already ?

Thanks for your work in this area Jason

dwtt
08-20-2006, 9:56 AM
If we supply scanned letters from the DOJ, will this group need our names and addresses unobscured? I want to send in some I have, but want to remove my name and address since the letters will likely end up on a web site.

artherd
08-20-2006, 11:20 AM
I am pretty sure (though I hesitate to speak for him) that Jason & crew will redacte all personal info from letters unless the senders specifically indicate otherwise. They're attorneys after all, and know better :)

In the past, they have redacted (removed) personal info. I do not know if he needs original names/addresses on the source material, but it could conceivably help.

cathog
08-20-2006, 1:06 PM
We would like unredacted copies, because much of the time the letters sent on the same topic are identical if sent to multiple persons. The only way to tell different letters apart is by the name and address. But if there are privacy concerns, just request that the name and address be redacted and we will not release the information publicly.

Thank you,
Jason Davis

bwiese
08-20-2006, 5:34 PM
Trust me, you should not have any issues with Jason and Chuck having your information.

Hell, the DOJ already has it....

C.G.
08-20-2006, 5:52 PM
Trust me, you should not have any issues with Jason and Chuck having your information.

Hell, the DOJ already has it....

Good one!:D

6172crew
08-20-2006, 5:54 PM
We found out in the beginning that the info the DOJ gave over the phone was mostly made up but there were folks who reported that personal told us over the phone that OLLs were lssegal to build as long as you used a tool to remove the magazine.

The best written stuff was the Eagle arms letters, both letters were written from the DOJ and said the oppisite thing within a few days of each other.

Do a search for Eagle arms and if you cant find the letter I will dig them up.

bwiese
08-20-2006, 6:36 PM
SO what your saying is the DOJ knows where everyone lives from the point when they DROS their handgun ?

Context, Sam, context...

This thread was with regard to letters sent to DOJ by individuals, and the DOJ's responses to them. Not about gun regs, etc.

Obviously, DOJ must have the party's address to respond to them directly, so a person should have no fear that Chuck & Jason, pro-gun lawyers, have their info too...

dwtt
08-21-2006, 9:13 PM
This thread was with regard to letters sent to DOJ by individuals, and the DOJ's responses to them. Not about gun regs, etc.

Obviously, DOJ must have the party's address to respond to them directly, so a person should have no fear that Chuck & Jason, pro-gun lawyers, have their info too...
It wasn't the DOJ or Jason's firm having the personal info that I was worried about. I didn't want my name and address being general public info. That would tell all the criminals which house to rob to steal guns and I still remember the pawn shop owner near by who was killed by some robbers who robbed his store for guns.

bwiese
08-21-2006, 9:51 PM
It wasn't the DOJ or Jason's firm having the personal info that I was worried about. I didn't want my name and address being general public info. That would tell all the criminals which house to rob to steal guns and I still remember the pawn shop owner near by who was killed by some robbers who robbed his store for guns.

As Jason said, personal info would be redacted before being publicized.

Ford8N
08-22-2006, 5:46 AM
This is kinda off subject, but I have yet to see a DOJ "permission slip" that the FAL is legal to sell. Supposedly, Entreprise has one but they won't show it to anyone. Has Jason asked some of the manufactures for their DOJ letters?

sac7000
08-22-2006, 7:27 AM
we are requesting that anybody who has letters or e-mail from the DOJ forward copies of those letters and e-mails to the address below:

Thank you,

Jason Davis

Maybe this has been asked previously but when it comes to email, how can you tell the difference between what is real and what is not? Written correspondence is a bit more difficult to falsify but email would be easy.

bwiese
08-22-2006, 9:57 AM
Maybe this has been asked previously but when it comes to email, how can you tell the difference between what is real and what is not? Written correspondence is a bit more difficult to falsify but email would be easy.

No lawyer is gonna submit phonied-up letters.
And the existence of a letter's copy can be used in discovery, subpoena, etc. to make the DOJ itself supply its own copy of the correspondence.

artherd
08-22-2006, 4:48 PM
Just sent in a package; about 10MB worth (compressed! :)