View Full Version : Rep. Duncan Hunter supports 2A

01-19-2011, 1:44 PM
I like that whenever I write him, Representative Hunter responds.

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns for protecting 2nd Amendment Rights in lieu of the tragic attack in Arizona. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this important issue.

Like many Americans, I was deeply saddened when I heard the news of the attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and the other victims of this tragedy. On January 12, 2010, I joined my colleagues in passing a resolution that condemned the attack in the strongest terms, honored the victims and reaffirmed the belief that freedom of expression is the bedrock of our democracy.

As you know, Rep. Peter King of New York has announced he plans to introduce legislation making it illegal to knowingly carry a gun within 1,000 feet of certain high-ranking federal officials, including Members of Congress. Like you, I am concerned with any legislation that further infringes upon the ideals outlined in the Second Amendment - the right to keep and bear arms.

When tragedies like this arise, the first reaction by some is to advocate for stricter gun control laws and regulations that may not be necessary. It is my firm belief that those who violate our state and federal gun laws should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Rest assured that as any gun legislation is debated at the federal level, I will continue fighting to protect our Second Amendment rights with your specific thoughts in mind. Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Duncan Hunter