PDA

View Full Version : From NRA's Paul Payne; thought I'd share

mikehaas
08-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Those who attended Wednesday met Paul - he even took us all to lunch with those calgunners that could stay around after the hearing. For those that don't know him, he is the NRA Members' Council Administrator, "Liaison to the Executive Vice President" (Wayne LaPierre is his boss) and one of the hardest working individuals I have ever known.

This is a message he sent me that I definitely want to share.

Mike
-------------------------------------------
Mike,

Our conversation on Wednesday afternoon caused me to think about a few things and I wanted to jot down a few thoughts after returning from Sacramento and the DOJ Regulatory Hearing.

It is good to see that after quite a long time, many firearm owners in California are finally beginning to see how much the NRA has been active within California. Although the turnout at the Hearing wasn't large, the speakers were exceptionally well-spoken and presented our positions in the best possible light. I had the opportunity to meet a few of them and was suitably impressed.

As you know, for several years we have been busy working, but not claiming credit for our successes, actions, and activities. So many people have inaccurately (but understandably) assumed that since they couldn't see NRA in the lead, NRA wasn't involved. That's because so much of what we do must be scrutinized and synchronized, after determining how any such action would be perceived, as well as a determination must be made as to whether or not any damage could be done by such a release of information. In other words, sometimes it is better to get the job done instead of telling everyone that we are on the job. Hopefully, gun owners throughout California can now more easily see that NRA is as dedicated as ever to the state of California and it's gun owners.

For years I have listened to an uninformed vocal minority gripe about how "The NRA's given-up on California" and other such nonsense. Yet these complainers have rarely stepped-up to lend a hand in all of the activities that we have been involved in to protect and restore the Second Amendment in this troubled state.

You know how proud I am of the NRA Members' Councils and the volunteers that comprise those activist groups. These loyal and dedicated NRA members have often carried the weight of our efforts without complaint while demonstrating a tremendous amount of trust in their leadership of the NRA. We have tried very hard not to let them down. But I have always believed we should try to recruit more gun owners and NRA members to the cause of protecting our Second Amendment rights.

Thanks to Ramon and his Calguns.net web forum, we have been welcomed into an on-line community where the participants demonstrate their true desire to be effective in this fight. But we, the NRA, have had to earn the respect of the Calgunners, both NRA members and not. That's okay. I believed our actions would show our true colors and this past week has shown me to be correct. The Calgunners have accepted the NRA because we have proven ourselves to them. Respect must be earned, and kept, and the only way to do that is by demonstration, not words alone. Now that we have earned their respect and trust, we must be mindful of the responsibility to maintain it.

I believe the folks on Calguns are just an example of the good people we can interact with if we continue to reach-out to them. For those who are NRA members, we should offer them an active place within the NRA Members' Council Program. In this way, they can be exposed to more information, quicker, and more completely, than they can receive from "public release sources" such as on the open Internet. That is one of the advantages of our internal MC communication systems. Also, existing MC volunteers will benefit from the participation, talents, and new ideas brought in by the newcomers. And I must say, many of the people I have met are quite talented and skilled.

In closing, let me say that the frustration you and I have felt at not being able to tell everyone the story of everything the NRA has been doing in California is now minimized by the excellent way the participants at the DOJ Hearing handled themselves and how they used the information (much of it furnished by us in the NRA) to benefit all of the gun owners in California. We have many Second Amendment battles left to fight, in this state, but I now feel that the NRA is not alone in our efforts and we have many new friends to join with us in this life-long effort.

Respectfully,

Paul

calAWBsux
08-19-2006, 10:51 AM
And that's why I've recently rejoined and just sent $100 to the NRA. Instead of *****ing about stuff, people either need to joing the NRA, send them money or do SOMETHING. Kudos to the NRA...

hawk1
08-19-2006, 1:24 PM
Good read. I've been a life member for about 20 years and it's nice to know they're helping.
Mike

hitnrun
08-19-2006, 2:28 PM
I upgraded from a 5 year membership to a life membership at the Reno gun show last weekend! It was the best move I have made yet.

CalGunsNoob
08-19-2006, 2:47 PM
Maybe the NRA should spend less printing and sending endless solicitations for money to their members and use more of the money we send them for gun rights action.

Regarding their presence at the meeting...have to give them kudos for that.

Much better than the useless California Rifle and Pistol Association which as far as can be determined does nothing.

Fjold
08-19-2006, 3:07 PM
Maybe the NRA should spend less printing and sending endless solicitations for money to their members and use more of the money we send them for gun rights action.

Regarding their presence at the meeting...have to give them kudos for that.

Much better than the useless California Rifle and Pistol Association which as far as can be determined does nothing.

They've studied that. The solicitations raise alot more money than the mailing cost.

mikehaas
08-19-2006, 4:00 PM
They've studied that. The solicitations raise alot more money than the mailing cost.
Oh, yeah. Learned years ago - the only reason NRA does so much mail-order solicitation is - it works!

Mike

EvolutionGSR
08-19-2006, 6:12 PM
Oh, yeah. Learned years ago - the only reason NRA does so much mail-order solicitation is - it works!

Mike

Yah...it worked on me two weeks ago.

chris
08-19-2006, 9:57 PM
i will renew my membership probably today at the internet tent. you have to understand that some people want to see action with their own eyes and then they will believe that the NRA is actively involved. i do know that we have an active lobbyist in this state not many others have that. we all know this state is a mess and now we all see how much the NRA is active. they have seen it now we'll wait and see what the results are.

again i'm glad the NRA made a real good showing if they did'nt there would be a lot more bashing of the NRA. i admit my membership lapsed in the NRA but i did keep my CRPA membership it only lapsed due to my deployment which is coming to an end finally.

UPDATE:

renewed my membership today for 5 years and will upgrade to ELP life membership. they still do the 25.00 a quater for the life membership. i saw that to late to change it to Life membership. sent an e-mail regarding the upgrade. thanks to the NRA's support in the OLL issue i have changed my stance. we all could boos the NRA's number here after this and we should do so.

SemiAutoSam
08-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I dont know who is worse off us or New Jersey ?

at least in NJ they get 15 round mags. I don't know about their AW laws but ive heard they are also very strict and moronic like ours. On the federal level NY state has schumer and that guy is a major Nutcase about the same caliber as Reynolds or feinstein / boxer.

AntiBubba 2.1
08-20-2006, 8:22 PM
Although it isn't a contest I want to be competing in, I think Jersey has it worse. In some of our more rural counties it is almost "shall-issue", and very Out West in the view of guns as tools, and symbols of freedom. We often forget that this state is more than Sac and the Left Coast.

Where did this luncheon take place, Mike?

hoffmang
08-20-2006, 10:41 PM
I'll pop in for Mike. It was a pizza joint but only because it was a place we could actually hear each other and talk candidly.

-Gene

bwiese
08-20-2006, 10:57 PM
I'll pop in for Mike. It was a pizza joint but only because it was a place we could actually hear each other and talk candidly.

Yeah, it was a pleasure to meet with the senior NRA staff in CA. They're technically, legally and politically very sharp.

It was kinda funny to see the CRPA folks skulk by on the way to lunch without a nod. It was even more surprising to not see CRPA or GOC folks at the Wed Aug 16 DOJ regulatory meeting.

I guess Upholt & Paredes had to ban hunting dogs or help collect IDs on mail order ammo sales ;)

bluebaron
08-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Well true to my word on another thread....I just signed up for two years. Must admit I was put off by the negative threads I had seen over the last couple of years.....but seeing is believing!

Chaingun
08-21-2006, 7:56 AM
I've been a Patron for many years now.

Everyone should become at least a Life member.

phish
08-21-2006, 11:01 AM
In some respects, NJ is even worse off than we are. Any magazine over 10 rounds is illegal to even own now.