PDA

View Full Version : Loose gas tube?

EvolutionGSR
08-18-2006, 11:44 PM
I was cleaning my Varmint upper and when I got to the upper reciever portion around the gas tube I noticed that there was some slight movement of the gas tube portion that sticks into the upper reciever, enough to make a rattling noise. The bolt carrier goes into full battery every time, but the slight movement concerns me a little. I wasn't able to get in contact with RRA in time today so I thought I'd ask here if that is normal or ok. The rattling comes from somewhere near the upper reciever or the aluminum handguard close to the upper reciever, and near the gas block the gas tube is still solid in place. I didn't notice it the first time I cleaned it. Can anyone chime in with anything on this?

adamsreeftank
08-19-2006, 12:00 AM
The gas tube is attached to the gas block or front sight, but is loose in the upper receiver. If the bolt is forward then it will lock up with the gas tube, but if the bolt carrier is to the rear or removed, then the gas tube might rattle a bit. It's nothing to worry about as long as the bolt carrier seats properly with light finger pressure.

EvolutionGSR
08-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks. =)

Blacktail 8541
08-19-2006, 8:09 AM
Its normal to have a little play in the gas tube where it passes thru the reciever.