PDA

View Full Version : Proposed New AW Ban vs Homebuilders

ke1dzyne
01-19-2011, 8:47 AM
Hey all, this is my first post, so be gentle. In the wake of the Arizona shootings, I've heard calls for a resumption of AW bans. I'm curious how any new AW bans would be implemented with regard to homebuilders machining their own lowers. Since a finish machined lower is legally a firearm, but doesn't need markings, how are they legally registered, or grandfathered? Would there be a requirement that they be fully assembled into a functioning waepon, even though legally only the lower is considered a weapon? I realize this will hopefully not happen, but since I'm rolling my own now, I'm keeping my ears to the ground.
Keith

zhyla
01-19-2011, 8:50 AM
I don't know what kind of answer you're expecting about a law that hasn't been written yet. I don't think anyone actually expects any serious gun control legislation to get very far with the current congress.

NiteQwill
01-19-2011, 8:51 AM
I wish I was a prophet... or a crooked politician, that way I can tell you how my cronies and I are going to implement an AWB.

Bhobbs
01-19-2011, 8:52 AM
There is always going to be people calling for a new AW ban but I don't think it will happen.

There was a bill introduced yesterday to ban ownership of high capacity magazines outright so that is something to watch.

Window_Seat
01-19-2011, 9:13 AM
Not with this Congress. Even if there was a bill "circulating", it would likely circulate into nothingness.

My thoughts on this is that what will be likely to pass is the Thune Amendment.

Erik.

Wherryj
01-19-2011, 10:25 AM
I wish I was a prophet... or a crooked politician, that way I can tell you how my cronies and I are going to implement an AWB.

The above word is redundant.

stix213
01-19-2011, 10:30 AM
New gun laws nationally are dead on arrival. The only one that has any shred of chance with this congress is the mag capacity one, but I don't even see that getting out of committee in the house.

CCWFacts
01-19-2011, 10:32 AM
The proposed AWB is DOA.

It will not happen. Barney Frank's bill (which he introduces every year) to legalize marijuana will pass before a new AWB passes.

Don't worry about. Note that AWBs have been introduced every year since 2004 and they always die. The only reason why they bother to introduce them is so that a few congressmen can say, "I'm fighting against the evil NRA by introducing bills which will die in committee!!!"

12voltguy
01-30-2011, 9:16 AM
I don't know what kind of answer you're expecting about a law that hasn't been written yet. I don't think anyone actually expects any serious gun control legislation to get very far with the current congress.

how about a law from the past?.........when they did the 1994 aw ban, what did homebuilders have to do to comply with reg there now aw's:rolleyes:
let me guess you have no idea,lol

CSACANNONEER
01-30-2011, 9:25 AM
The last federal ban did not include registration of any kind so, SNs were only used to prove date of manufacture. In Ca, there were a number of firearms registered as AWs and 50BMG rifles with no serial numbers so, even if there was some sort of registration, you could put "none" as the SN.

Librarian
01-30-2011, 12:57 PM
zhyla's answer really was the best - without an actual law to examine, 'what might they do next?' is not possible to answer.

Same problem with all the threads that run 'someone says that some politician may give a speech some undetermined time in the future that may include something about guns'.

At least wait for the speech...