PDA

View Full Version : Accelerated 10/22 Stock. is this available in California?

Hitman
08-18-2006, 9:22 AM
http://www.acceleratorfan.com/home.htm

Fire as fast as full auto but with a stock semi auto 10/22. Almost like bumpfire built into the stock!:eek:

You guys think it will be banned in California?

Check out the videos. They are amazing!

To order: http://www.firefaster.com/

blacklisted
08-18-2006, 9:26 AM
I don't know.

Does it fit one of these definitions?

(23) As used in this section, a "multiburst trigger activator" means one of the following devices:

(A) A device designed or redesigned to be attached to a semiautomatic firearm which allows the firearm to discharge two or more shots in a burst by activating the device.

(B) A manual or power-driven trigger activating device constructed and designed so that when attached to a semiautomatic firearm it increases the rate of fire of that firearm.

Sounds pretty vague.

Hitman
08-18-2006, 9:31 AM
Here is the text in their legal site:

Evaluated by FTB/US DOJ/BATFE

The perfectly legal status of this device is immediately obvious to those familiar with the law. However, it was prudent to confirm the appropriate regulatory agency agreed with us and our attorney prior to engaging in manufacture and sales.

In an exchange of letters with the Firearms Technology Branch of the United States Department of Justice’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), they said:

“…As noted previously, the proposed theory of operation of this stock involves the application of the movement of the counter recoiling rifle to initiate a rapid succession of semiautomatic fire. Our examination and subsequent classification revealed that the stock did not constitute a “machinegun” as that term is defined in the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53…”

In fact, the stock and assembly are not even a firearm, but merely an accessory.

The user provides the unmodified semi-automatic firearm. If a semi-automatic firearm is unmodified and functioning correctly, it can only discharge one shot per function of the trigger, as it is designed to do, and must do to be legal. The term "machinegun" is defined as a weapon that shoots "automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger," while a "rifle" is defined as a weapon that fires "a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger." 26 U.S.C. § 5845(b), (c). The rapidity of those single shots has no bearing on function. Note their choice of the words “rapid succession of semiautomatic fire” (my emphasis).

This is the same reason cranks and other devices of similar nature are legal. The only differences here are that the Akins Accelerator™ is natural to use and that the shooter’s finger is actually pulling the trigger for each individual shot instead of using an intervening mechanism to pull the trigger.

The Akins Accelerator System™ works on the same principle as bump firing. It is significantly superior because it's controlled, more accurate and allows firing with the stock firmly held into the shoulder. The shooter retains the ability to fire his single shots as slowly as desired by firing normally. To accelerate the speed at which the single shots are obtained, he bridges both finger stops. The Akins Accelerator(tm) has the additional benefit of being completely ambidextrous.

They (BATFE) went on to say “…This evaluation is valid provided that when the stock is assembled with an otherwise unmodified…semiautomatic rifle, the rifle does not discharge more than one shot by a single function of the trigger…”

In short, a legal, properly functioning semi-automatic capable of discharging only one shot per function of the trigger doesn’t magically turn into a machine gun when it’s used with the Akins Accelerator™, it’s just accelerated as intended, and that acceleration is legal.

If the firearm is illegally modified or malfunctioning and therefore fires more than one shot per function of the trigger, having it in the Akins Accelerator™ will not make it legal, as that firearm would be in an illegal condition in and of itself. So, don’t do that. The whole idea behind this is to provide a legal method to accelerate your rate of fire in a natural and intuitive fashion.

Familiarize yourself with 26 U.S.C. § 5845 and the definition of “machinegun” therein:

(b) Machinegun

The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

It’s impossible for the Akins Accelerator™ to be a machine gun because the only firearm associated with it is a semi-automatic firearm. Machine guns, for the purposes of this definition, need to fire more than one shot by a single function of the trigger. The Accelerator™ simply accelerates the rate at which the separate shots can be fired. That’s why the BATFE’s Firearms Technology Branch made the determination it’s legal.

blacklisted
08-18-2006, 9:38 AM
That's federal law. The one I quoted is from California State law. This is from the A.A. FAQ:

NOTE: Because of laws on devices made to simulate FA fire in California and Minnesota the A.A. is not legal in these states.

JPglee1
08-18-2006, 9:39 AM
http://www.acceleratorfan.com/home.htm

Fire as fast as full auto but with a stock semi auto 10/22. Almost like bumpfire built into the stock!:eek:

No, not legal in califas. its a device designed to increase the rate of fire, like a hellfire or Gat... no dice.

A bipod, prone, with an OLL is about as close as you can get, aside from traditional bumping.

J

Hitman
08-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Oh well, It was too good to be true, at least here.:(

It is still awsome!:D

Thanks Blacklisted & Jpglee1 for enlightening me to how California Laws just !@#%$ !%$%@ :mad:

Closest I will get back to shooting full-auto is when I go back to re-qualify with the M16. I miss the full auto fun during BCT. Hiking that M249 over several miles does get tiring though.

xenophobe
08-18-2006, 12:15 PM
That is definitely a felony or two in California. Stay FAR away. Oh, nice price on those units too... :rolleyes:

50 Freak
08-18-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't know, I think I'd be interested in one of those units. If I were to buy it, I'd definitely keep it out of this state.

As for the price think about it. For a full auto 10/22 you would pay $10,000 plus. This stock gives you a legal auto at a tenth of the price and no class III paperwork hassles.

When you look at it that way, this is a bargain.

EOD Guy
08-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Here is the manufacturer's answer:

California and Minnesota both have laws prohibiting use and/or possession of devices intended to help a shooter fire faster. As use and/or possession of an Akins Accelerator™ is a felony in both of those states, we will not ship to those states.

Santa Cruz Armory
08-18-2006, 1:34 PM
Here is the manufacturer's answer:California and Minnesota both have laws prohibiting use and/or possession of devices intended to help a shooter fire faster. As use and/or possession of an Akins Accelerator™ is a felony in both of those states, we will not ship to those states

wimps! :mad:

Fjold
08-18-2006, 3:21 PM
wimps! :mad:

I haven't read the applicable section of CA law on this but if what they say is true in their disclaimer, the possession and use is a felony not their sale. So I don't see them as wimps as they're not the ones at risk.

anotherone
08-18-2006, 3:39 PM
What about home made "bump stocks" are they illegal?

VeryCoolCat
08-18-2006, 3:43 PM
I beleive this area is a completely gray area..... and we won't get difinitive answers until the DOJ tries to make something illegal.

metalhead357
08-18-2006, 6:44 PM
What about home made "bump stocks" are they illegal?

Ummmm, See post #2 by blacklisted......

it doesnt make a distinction between homebrewed or not; designed means designed....and manufactured means manufactured~so that'd be a big-- NOT IN THIS STATE:mad:

Besides- WHY would anyone wanna bumpfire? All you do is waste ammo:p

50 Freak
08-18-2006, 7:58 PM
From my understanding this product has been seen and approved by the DOJ. It's just that because CA has stricter laws against these devices, it is illegal here.

Sort of the like the HellFires and other trigger activators. Completely legal to own and use in the other states, just not here.

anotherone
08-18-2006, 8:44 PM
The hellfire and other devices are mostly novelties... I was humored at the time they banned them and still am now. They're basically the whoopie cushion of the firearms world.

50 Freak
08-18-2006, 9:55 PM
I wouldn't exactly call them "novelities". I had a hellfire back in the early 90's. Used to empty my 75 round drum on the Mak90 in like 5 seconds.

Couldn't hit crap, but fun as hell.

blkA4alb
08-18-2006, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't exactly call them "novelities". I had a hellfire back in the early 90's. Used to empty my 75 round drum on the Mak90 in like 5 seconds.

Couldn't hit crap, but fun as hell.
Wouldn't that be the definition of a novelty though? :D Its not useful because you can't hit anything, but its fun.

Ok, so its not the actual definition of a novelty but it depends on the context :p .

anotherone
08-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Did anyone here use their "multi-burst trigger activator" (I believe that's the term the state coined) on anything other than AKs and SKS rifles? Back in the 90s I had a Norinco SKS that I had loaded up with a pistol grip, a 4x scope from Walmart, a fixed 30 round mag, and a GAT (remember the gatling gun type crank bumpfire thingy from the makers of hellfire they sold through Shotgun News?)... yeah it was fun but it was also kinda pricey for the fun in terms of ammo.

grammaton76
08-19-2006, 2:48 AM
I remember when I was a kid, seeing a guy show off that he could spray a nice big area with 22LR's by using a crank...

The Soup Nazi
08-19-2006, 7:14 AM
Did anyone here use their "multi-burst trigger activator" (I believe that's the term the state coined) on anything other than AKs and SKS rifles? Back in the 90s I had a Norinco SKS that I had loaded up with a pistol grip, a 4x scope from Walmart, a fixed 30 round mag, and a GAT (remember the gatling gun type crank bumpfire thingy from the makers of hellfire they sold through Shotgun News?)... yeah it was fun but it was also kinda pricey for the fun in terms of ammo.

I think the guys in the North Hollywood bank shootout had multi-burst trigger activators on theirs except the media would keep calling them fully automatic because it sounded more evil. :rolleyes:

rollyourown
08-19-2006, 8:41 AM
I think the guys in the North Hollywood bank shootout had multi-burst trigger activators on theirs except the media would keep calling them fully automatic because it sounded more evil. :rolleyes:

The NHBR guys had real romanian AKS rifles. They were the real deal and had been smuggled into the US, probably from Central America. The only semi-auto they had was the HK 91. the CAR they used was a conversion on a olympic arms receiver.

You cannot imagine how much class 3 stuff is floating around here in the LA/IE areas. Theres more on the streets now in 2006 then there was in 1988 when gang warfare was at its height, the same time I was in HS. Hell, this year alone we have had 4 M-67 brought through the shop, real, live M-67s. SBSO and RSO have made at least 12 arrests this year for DD (hand grenade) possession alone. I'll give you all a hint at who has this stuff in their possession. They don't speak English.

If the DOJ is worried about Bowers little bump-fire stock, they are worried about the wrong people. The need to pull their heads out of the sand. The only ones who pay attention to the laws handed down by DOJ are the people who obey the law. The ones DOJ should be worried about are the people that don't follow our laws at all in all areas of our society. They are arming themselves, and with stuff you cannot by at walmart or your local shooting range.

metalhead357
08-19-2006, 10:30 AM
...... They are arming themselves, and with stuff you cannot by at walmart or your local shooting range.

Until they are out there at the ranges actually practicing- let the spray and pray fill thier heads..... its not the ammo amount one can put down range but WHERE..........

rollyourown
08-19-2006, 5:36 PM
Until they are out there at the ranges actually practicing- let the spray and pray fill thier heads..... its not the ammo amount one can put down range but WHERE..........

You would be suprised at how many of our friends from sounth of the border can shoot straight. But more importanly than shooting, I'm more concerned with the explosives that seem to be finding their way up here from parts down south.

I have found that never underestimating someone or a group of someones leads more often than not to victory.

M. Sage
08-19-2006, 7:15 PM

You don't need marksmanship at the distances a lot of these shootouts are happening at...

saki302
08-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Looking at their design, you would be better off making your own 'recoil absorbtion stock', which allows the action to slide back with NO FINGER STOP for the trigger. It will do nothing, just let the action pop back and take up a little bit of the recoil- AKA shotgun compstock.

Then train YOUR FINGER to stay stiff enough for it to work the same way. just as some folks have practiced enough they can bump off the shoulder.

You should legally fly with that if the recoil absorption stocks are not illegal, but it won't be as easy or simple as bracing your finger across two stops and letting the rounds fly.

It shouldn't be any more illegal this way than bumpfiring, which requires some skill as well.

-Dave

metalhead357
08-20-2006, 9:13 PM
You don't need marksmanship at the distances a lot of these shootouts are happening at...

Certainly true............. but I hope ya' all understand my point(s); in a real battle chances are they'll completely miss at distance.