PDA

View Full Version : Legalities of stocks on OLL

Maddog5150
08-18-2006, 1:49 AM
I decided to make my OLL into a detachable mag version by putting on a break instead of my vortec and taking my pistol grip off. I still have the m4 stock and cant really afford a new fixed stick right now. Is the M4 stock legal? I thought it wasnt but I was thinking that they sell shorty fixed a2 stocks and obviously the long a2 stock and both are legal yet it doesnt make sense that one that goes in between isnt.

adamsreeftank
08-18-2006, 2:02 AM
The collapsing "M4" style stock will NOT be legal with a detachable magazine. The issue is not the length. It is that it is collapsing. (Dont' ask me why that matters..)

If you can't afford a new stock, maybe you can "pin" the M4 stock so it is fixed length. (Although that might be legally risky if it isn't permanent.) You can also get a used surplus stock for very cheap if you look around.

anotherone
08-18-2006, 2:53 AM
I scored a milsurp A2 stock for my 20" rifle for less than $40 including gas tube and buffer. Just get a cheap milsurp A2 stock from the net or from Brownells and toss the M4 stock on a pinned build.

grammaton76
08-18-2006, 3:13 AM
Another option, is that the stocks are similarly priced. You may be able to trade your telescoping stock for a fixed stock.

Another possibility would be for you to simply remove the stock and run with just the receiver tube. To do that... well, you know the thing you push so that you can slide the stock back and forth? Pull instead, and it will slide right off of the rifle. And the tube itself does not telescope.

That may be on somewhat shaky legal ground however, as it's just one slide of a plastic bit from being a telestock. If you do take this approach, then I strongly recommend you do not keep the part you pulled off of it near the rifle at any time. It'd be just too tempting for an LEO to put the stock on the rifle for storage so it'd fit properly in the evidence locker, you know?

JPglee1
08-18-2006, 7:32 AM
Run .010" welding wire thru the roll pin on the "plunger head" you pull down on...

There is just enough room for .010" wire to fit thru, drill a small hole above the plunger head for the wire to run thru...

J

Satex
08-18-2006, 7:55 AM
I put one hole in the stock and then put a rivet into the position holes in the tube. Was very easy to do, took me about 10 minutes. The plunger still works, but the rivet prevent the stock from telescoping.

JPglee1
08-18-2006, 8:06 AM
I put one hole in the stock and then put a rivet into the position holes in the tube. Was very easy to do, took me about 10 minutes. The plunger still works, but the rivet prevent the stock from telescoping.

Post a picture...Im pretty sharp, but I dont get what you mean... :D

J

Q
08-18-2006, 10:36 PM
buy a used a1 stock. nice length not long like the a2 and not short like a carbine. and then add a nanannanan "monsterman" nanananana.(like batman theme)

Pablo
08-22-2006, 1:17 AM
Maddog, I have a few "Post-ban" M4 style stocks (this are not collapsible stocks) they are permanently fixed. If you're interested I can trade you one for your M4 collapsible stock. This stocks are brand new. They use the rifle length buffer and spring. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/370693.JPG (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=370693&c=562&z=1)
http://www.hunt101.com/img/411214.JPG (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=411214&c=500&z=1)

Jicko
08-22-2006, 2:04 AM
maybe you can "pin" the M4 stock so it is fixed length. (Although that might be legally risky if it isn't permanent.)

Where in the law/CCR said that a "pinned" or "screwed down" or "set-screwed" non-telescoping stock is NOT OK!? Can't we apply the similar "use of a tool" on the "stock context"? I think... a general, reasonable, public person.... seeing that "detachable is defined as removable without the use of a tool".... can relate "telescoping to extend and retract without the use of a tool"....

I think, there used to be a lot of "post ban" non-telescoping CAR stock out there that are just "pinned".... ie. still reversible....

I had always been puzzled about this "telescoping stock" issue....