View Full Version : USN coming from VA to San Diego

01-18-2011, 6:17 PM
I've got a Saiga 7.62x39 that's getting more tricked out by the day, a lefty Savage 308 bolt action (don't think that'll be an issue), two HK USP 45s with hi-cap mags (registration?). I wanna make my last purchase before I leave here a Bushmaster 308 ORC, but not if I have to cut through a mile of red tape to bring her into my Golden State.

After looking at the CA Firearms Laws 2006 booklet, it looks like I can forego my woes just by registering my guns with the DOJ. Words of wisdom? Recommendations? Am I beating a horse that's already been thrashed numerous times?

01-18-2011, 6:28 PM
It depends on what you did with the Saiga. If you converted it and has a pistol grip or flash hider, then you need to put some sort of mag-lock device on it, or it will be considered an assault weapon, and illegal.

You cannot bring in the high-cap mags, there is no registration for them, they cannot be brought in the state period. Unless you disassemble them and bring them in as rebuild kits.

Pretty sure the Bushmaster is a no go as well.

Others will be along shortly to add more.

Welcome to Calguns, California, and our stupid gun laws!! If it was me, Id be going the other way.

01-18-2011, 6:29 PM
Bolt action will not be an issue, but you will have to register your two USP's with in 30 days of moving her by sending in a form to the DOJ. You can't legally bring the high caps here, but what I recommend doing is to disassemble them and buy some 10 rounders for in state use. If you ever go out of state you can just reassemble the high caps.

Because of the assault weapons ban in california, you may not have a rifle that has a detachable magazine and any of the "evil" features (flash hider, pistol grip, forward grip). I'm not sure if your saiga has a pistol grip, because I have seen some without, but if it does, you will have to get a "bullet button" which locks the magazine into place, so you can only release it with a tool, in this case the point of a bullet.

The other way for a rifle to become an assault weapon is if it is specifically mentioned on the list of banned weapons, I'm not sure if your bushmaster is, so you will have to do some research. But if it is offlist, it will still require a bullet button so that it is not an assault weapon.

I also recommend reading about a featureless rifle. Use the search function to help, as it is another option you may wish to choose in the configuration of your rifles. Good luck to you! and welcome to the forum

01-18-2011, 7:15 PM
Welcome aboard Sailor !

Preceding info all good.

01-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Not much else to add as its all been covered. Check the charts and literature that cal guns has to ensure your within the ever restricting cali laws.

01-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Bolt action will not be an issue, but you will have to register your two USP's with in 30 days of moving her by sending in a form to the DOJ.

It's 60 days, and only if he's a "personal handgun importer". Military non-resident are exempted from being a personal handgun importer until they are discharged from active duty. The mis-information on the DOJ site is just another underground regulation, heck, they still have the assault weapon list on there. Eventually I'd expect this info to be on the calguns wiki.

Here's the "personal handgun importer" exemption in PC.

PC 12001(o) (2)
In the case of members of the Armed Forces of the United
States, residency shall be deemed to be established when he or she
was discharged from active service in this state.



01-19-2011, 6:52 AM
You're going the wrong way.

01-19-2011, 7:26 AM
Don't forget this. DO NOT mag lock a magazine with a higher than ten round magazine to any rifle. That automatically makes it an AW and is worse than just the act of bringing the "hi-caps" into the state