PDA

View Full Version : minimum of 4" barrel on revolvers

KumanK
01-18-2011, 6:07 PM
So I went to a gun store located on camp pendleton today to see if they could order me a Rossi 462, the guy said that they cant because it is illegal in CA because the barrel on a revolver must be at least 4" long. I was in shock until I called a few more local shops and they said that they were insane so my great sigh of relief started. Just sharing how my day went hope you guys get a good laugh.

maddoggie13
01-18-2011, 6:12 PM
The 462 - 2" is not on doj list. Only the 461 - 2" is on the list.

KumanK
01-18-2011, 6:16 PM
The 462 - 2" is not on doj list. Only the 461 - 2" is on the list.

So it looks like I cant get it in stainless...

would you happen to know if the 352 is?

maddoggie13
01-18-2011, 6:20 PM
There is the link to doj... http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Neuvik
01-18-2011, 6:21 PM
Could I make it a single shot by having the wheel with only 1 chamber milled in it? :P

KumanK
01-18-2011, 6:25 PM
There is the link to doj... http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Thanks for the help I couldnt find it, and it looks like im gonna go with the 352 stainless .38 spcl

maddoggie13
01-18-2011, 6:29 PM
You are welcome...

Munk
01-18-2011, 6:55 PM
did you laugh at them when they said that?

You should go back in, and in a diplomatic fashion say "Man, I though you were crazy for saying that any revolver with a less than 4" barrel was illegal. It's just not on the roster is all. I wish you'd have said that instead of panicing me."

I'm too lazy to think up a friendlier wording for this at the moment.

stix213
01-18-2011, 6:57 PM
that's hilarious

Now you have to order a rostered revolver with a short barrel :p

Fjold
01-18-2011, 7:55 PM
So I went to a gun store located on camp pendleton today to see if they could order me a Rossi 462, the guy said that they cant because it is illegal in CA because the barrel on a revolver must be at least 4" long. I was in shock until I called a few more local shops and they said that they were insane so my great sigh of relief started. Just sharing how my day went hope you guys get a good laugh.

It's amazing how much "stupid" you can hear coming out of the mouth of people who work at gunstores.

Cokebottle
01-18-2011, 8:15 PM
Could I make it a single shot by having the wheel with only 1 chamber milled in it? :P
You'd still have to fit it with an 8" barrel.

Single shot
Dimensionally compliant (10.5" OAL, 6" minimum barrel)

Old4eyes
01-18-2011, 8:22 PM
You might want to do two things to have a little humor with the gun store containing the idiots:

1. Give them the URL for the List of Handguns approved for sale in California. Tell them it's a test to see if they can find revolvers with short barrel. Tell them it's a Where's Waldo for the FFL folks.

2. Tell them you are considering posting the name of the store on this discussion group, so we know what FFL we should steer clear of since the really don't know the rules governing their actions.

scarville
01-18-2011, 9:28 PM
With a revolver it is single action not single shot.

chiz
01-18-2011, 9:29 PM
You'd still have to fit it with an 8" barrel.

Single shot
Dimensionally compliant (10.5" OAL, 6" minimum barrel)

Not on a revolver. It has to have a 3 inch barrel and be single action to get around the roster.

cmichini
01-19-2011, 8:19 AM
You might want to do two things to have a little humor with the gun store containing the idiots:

1. Give them the URL for the List of Handguns approved for sale in California. Tell them it's a test to see if they can find revolvers with short barrel. Tell them it's a Where's Waldo for the FFL folks.

2. Tell them you are considering posting the name of the store on this discussion group, so we know what FFL we should steer clear of since the really don't know the rules governing their actions.

I urge the OP name the store NOW, not threaten the shop like a school yard bully.

If they had spread this FUD spew to me, I'd consider it a civic duty to notify the gun community who the FUDtards out there are so we can avoid them like the plague, or let them know their reputation for being FUDtards is now known far and wide.

In my opinion, creating 'gun control' by spreading FUD is akin to being in bed with the Brady Bunch. Actually it's worse because this is a cowardly stab in the back. At least the Brady's have the guts to stand in front of you and kick you in the 'nads.

rromeo
01-19-2011, 11:24 AM
The gun store is on Camp Pendleton, so that narrows it down. I haven't been there in 17 years, is there more than one place to buy guns?

Jack L
01-19-2011, 4:21 PM

I just bought a S&W 442 which has a 1 7/8 inch barrel.

Then I went to another gun shop to buy a .45 and in their case they had a S&W 442 like I just bought but on the side marked, 'for LE only' ?

What's up with that?

Cokebottle
01-19-2011, 7:04 PM
I just bought a S&W 442 which has a 1 7/8 inch barrel.

Then I went to another gun shop to buy a .45 and in their case they had a S&W 442 like I just bought but on the side marked, 'for LE only' ?

What's up with that?
Exactly the same, or was it a different dash number, or was it blued instead of stainless, etc....?

While Glock might release 5 different revisions of a gun and list them all as "Glock-19", S&W has a habit of using dash numbers, so you get a 442-1, 442-2, etc...
This is nice because it makes buying parts and determining the age of a used gun easier.
Unfortunately for us, each dash number is considered a different gun by the DOJ and must go through roster testing.

If the shop was in LA, anything shorter than a 3" barrel is LE only.

Anchors
01-19-2011, 7:18 PM
The gun store is on Camp Pendleton, so that narrows it down. I haven't been there in 17 years, is there more than one place to buy guns?

I'm guessing you are a Marine from a normal state stationed here and almost threw up when you heard that "law".
Haha. I'm from another state and when I first moved to CA I heard a lot of "laws" that weren't really real laws that I thought sounded crazy.
Turns out most of them were crazy and untrue.

Oh and welcome to CalGuns!

Munk
01-19-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm guessing you are a Marine from a normal state stationed here and almost threw up when you heard that "law".
Haha. I'm from another state and when I first moved to CA I heard a lot of "laws" that weren't really real laws that I thought sounded crazy.
Turns out most of them were crazy and untrue.

Oh and welcome to CalGuns!

Then you read some more and were dismayed by the laws that were crazy and TRUE.

bruss01
01-20-2011, 1:12 PM
Yeah, like drooling over Rossi's new 2011 catalogue and seeing a nifty lever-action Mare's leg pistol in .44 magnum that's perfectly fine (although it will have to be listed on the roster to be available here cuz it don't qualify for the single-action revolver or single-shot pistol exemptions) and then see an almost identical gun chambered in .410 that's illegal due to being a short barreled shotgun, even though it's not technically even a shotgun under CA law.

Sickening.

Anchors
01-20-2011, 2:56 PM
Yeah, like drooling over Rossi's new 2011 catalogue and seeing a nifty lever-action Mare's leg pistol in .44 magnum that's perfectly fine (although it will have to be listed on the roster to be available here cuz it don't qualify for the single-action revolver or single-shot pistol exemptions) and then see an almost identical gun chambered in .410 that's illegal due to being a short barreled shotgun, even though it's not technically even a shotgun under CA law.

Sickening.

It is technically a shotgun under CA law, just not under federal law.

ldivinag
01-20-2011, 3:46 PM
my S&W 500 came with a 2.75" barrel... :)

Bigtime1
01-20-2011, 5:35 PM
Skip it and head over to Iron Sights on Airport Road off the 76. They know their shiznit and will take good care of you.

hammerhands32
01-20-2011, 5:37 PM
my S&W 500 came with a 2.75" barrel... :)

I thought flame throwers were listed as DD's :p

KumanK
01-20-2011, 6:26 PM

Its the all seasons store in mainside on Camp Pendleton, I think the reason he told me that is because its a base rule. They consider under 4" concealed.

KumanK
01-20-2011, 6:29 PM
Skip it and head over to Iron Sights on Airport Road off the 76. They know their shiznit and will take good care of you.

thats the first place I called and they said they're insane and that they spit out random facts all the time...

Cokebottle
01-20-2011, 7:18 PM
I thought flame throwers were listed as DD's :p
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/50cal.jpg

robcoe
01-20-2011, 7:37 PM
I think there is a 3 inch barrel length minimum for the single action exemption, but none for general guns. If there were the NAA micro revolvers with their 1 1/4 inch barrels would be a bit of a problem.

Quser.619
01-20-2011, 8:11 PM

this :iagree:

Anchors
01-20-2011, 9:48 PM
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/50cal.jpg

This makes me want an actual flame thrower haha.
Are there any transferable NFA flame throwers?

dantodd
01-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I thought flame throwers were fine under 10 psi

ETA: looks like it's 10' not 10psi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_thrower#Private_ownership

Flying Sig
01-21-2011, 1:13 PM
...., the guy said that they cant because it is illegal in CA because the barrel on a revolver must be at least 4" long.

What? You didn't know? it's called a SBP (short barrel pistol). Totally illegal in California.