PDA

View Full Version : Gone nuts...

NoobShooter
08-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Alright… you guys don’t remember me.. I’m the noob who just got his M1A Socom 16 a couple months ago...:D

Anyways, somebody here said that collecting rifles is an addiction… it’s true! :eek:

I will have in my possession two AR lowers this weekend.

So, now I need some advice…:confused:

I plan to do the following:
1. One rifle will be made lightweight (hopefully durable too) and very portable for personal defense in a SHTF situation. Near future of course.
2. One rifle will be made mid to heavy weight (sniper/varminter like) and range shooting.

A couple of questions:
1) Any suggestions what components to use to keep the sniper/varminter rifle less than 9 lbs?
2) Does length of the barrel matter much? Big difference in precision between 16” and 24”?
3) Any suggestions on a 2-stage trigger? I like the feel of my M1A trigger.

Matt C
08-17-2006, 11:20 PM
1) Any suggestions what components to use to keep the sniper/varminter rifle less than 9 lbs?
Well, if you did that, you would have a CQB gun.

2) Does length of the barrel matter much? Big difference in precision between 16” and 24”?

Yes, that's quite a bit of velocity.

Check out the RRA match.

blkA4alb
08-17-2006, 11:21 PM
A couple of questions:
1) I suggest a 20" fluted barrel and lightweight free float handguard. There are various light weight stocks out there, just compare the weights.

2) Yes, a longer barrel will be more accurate, to a degree. I suggest a 20" barrel.

3) I have the RRA 2-stage trigger and its great, it breaks very crisply and is worth the cost (cheap compared to other setups.) I plan to put the RRA in all of my builds.

Ryan HBC
08-17-2006, 11:38 PM
I'll give you some input. If you are concerned with it being heavy, you should stay away from the conventional "varmint" set ups, as they come with an extremely heavy barrel. In fact, I don't think the weight gains are worth the accuracy.

For your varmint rig, I would consider an 18" barrel, medium profile. I promise you will be happy with the results. Anything over 20" is just too much IMO. Barrels over 20" requires a very thick profile to keep them accurate.....which brings me to the next point.

For your accuracy question with a 16" vs. a 24":

If the barrels are the same weight and profile, the 16" will actually be more accurate than the 24". This is do to the "barrel whip", or how the barrel flexes during firing. Longer barrels will flex more. The advantage they have is more velocity, allowing you to shoot (slightly) longer ranges. The longer barrel does not mean the bullet will come out any straighter.

When I go to the range, I shoot mainly at 100 yards and then do some steel plates at 200 and 300. For these distances, at 16" is plenty.

Some food for thought. My real advice is to do plenty of research before you build your rifle. Trust me.

Matt C
08-18-2006, 12:00 AM
2) Yes, a longer barrel will be more accurate, to a degree. I suggest a 20" barrel.

Why would it be more accurate?

grammaton76
08-18-2006, 3:29 AM
I plan to do the following:
1. One rifle will be made lightweight (hopefully durable too) and very portable for personal defense in a SHTF situation. Near future of course.

16" drop-mag no-evil-features rifle with a laser, taclight, or both for CQB, would be my advice there. My girlfriend loves the feel of her rifle - it's 31" long, and uses this stock, from Rock River Arms:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/stckentr.gif

A 16" Stag upper brings it to 31" OAL, which is just barely legal.

2. One rifle will be made mid to heavy weight (sniper/varminter like) and range shooting.

A couple of questions:

More like what wouldn't you put into it. Don't put a weight in the buttstock if you don't want to break 9lbs. It'd be hard for you to break 9lbs without one. I added a weight to mine because I wanted it heavy, and it's only 11.5lbs with a bull barrel AND weight.

I quite like the rifle below, myself:
http://www.cheapspeech.com/Pics/Guns/Collection/RangeSet/200607//s_dsc07176.jpg

I'm not qualified to answer that, but you MAY be able to reach 9lbs without a weight if you have 24" of barrel... :)

I've got an LMT two-stage, and get compliments on the feel all the time at the range.

maschronic
08-18-2006, 3:34 AM
on my first build, i put a stag 1H, RRA 2 stage trigger with a trijicon reflex red dot. its short, easy to handle, and the 2 stage trigger is well worth the money. this is my SHTF rifle.

my second AR, i have a DPMS 24" bull, RRA 2 stage trigger and 8-24 scope. its my sniper/varmint rifle.