PDA

View Full Version : New NRA Analysis of AB 2714

mikehaas
08-17-2006, 8:42 PM
The California NRA Members' Councils have posted a new, comprehensive analysis by NRA staff and attorneys of AB 2714 - AMMUNITION SALES (Torrico). The new text is titled AB 2714 creates Penal Code section 12317 and is available at:

http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2006&summary=ab2714

Mike

C.G.
08-18-2006, 1:09 AM
where the heck are the other gun groups?

this blows.

Thank you NRA for providing a consise analysis.

More importantly, many of those people that ***** and moan here never botherered to write. e-mail or anything.

anotherone
08-18-2006, 1:56 AM
More importantly, many of those people that ***** and moan here never botherered to write. e-mail or anything.

All it takes is one click. One click and a couple of strikes of the keyboard sends a letter to your legislator. I did it... but did everyone else?

Satex
08-18-2006, 9:36 AM
Mike,
I like the action I am seeing the NRA taking on the current CA firearms issues. While in the past, I refrained from supporting the NRA due to what I considered inappropriate campaigns and attempts to act on irrelevant political issues I like what I am seeing at present.
I have just joined the NRA online and sent in my dues.
Lets hope to NRA continues to be focused and active!
All the best!

BTW, I actively read legislative action reports, I use the one click to let the legislator know of my opinion, and I write letters per open comment period policies. I hope other Calguners use these tools to influence our legislator.

VeryCoolCat
08-18-2006, 9:44 AM
AB2714 isn't really a threat anymore. All it would do is require you to give your id when buying ammo online. It has been gut and ammended way too far to the point. It offers nothing....

EXCEPT!!! It will EASILY get shot down because its a california law that puts requirements on OUT OF STATE buisnesses to keep recorded transactions of ammunition sales for buisnesses out of state.

Torrico turned a horrible bill, to a bad bill to a useless bill that will get repealed later on.

AB2714 could impose liability on the seller of ammunition to law enforcement agencies when the law enforcement representative does not use the ammunition exclusively for the agency use (i.e. target practice, home protection, competitions, etc.) - something that is beyond the control of the seller once the ammunition has been shipped.

Who writes these laws? I could write a better anti-gun law in 2 minutes. Its obvious these guys are trying to ban something that they know nothing about.

phish
08-18-2006, 9:51 AM
Well, an unintended consequence, even from this ammended bill could be that companies will just simply refuse to do business with us, for all intents and purposes.

ie. Sportsman's Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc..

Renron
08-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Well, an unintended consequence, even from this ammended bill could be that companies will just simply refuse to do business with us, for all intents and purposes.

ie. Sportsman's Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc..

LOL,
I would not do business with either of those companies anyway!:eek:

Sportsmans guide has a limit on the "club discount" that you buy into. $200 per year. They refuse to accept orders of ammo they concider to be wholesale quantities, ie: 4 cases of .223 ammo! :eek:

Cheaper than Dirt ---------------isn't----------------
Try Ammoman.com
Renron

sargenv
08-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Don't discount Outdoor marksmens mart.. It's convenient for those on either coast as they have a west coast and east coast distributor. We here in California can expect a 2-3 day ship date if they have the ammo in stock and they have pretty good prices for certain ammo.

They are the distributor for Miwall, a California local remanufacturer.

Vince

icormba
08-18-2006, 10:31 AM
"AB2714 would require that when handgun ammunition is purchased via mail or internet, only the actual purchaser may receive the shipment, and only if they are physically present when the delivery is made, show government-approved identification, and sign for the shipment. In addition, the seller of the ammunition must indefinitely keep a copy of all signed receipts for ammunition shipments in California. As a practical matter, the carrier would also keep copies. "

There is no way in HELL FedEx or UPS would ever do this.

tpliquid1
08-18-2006, 10:37 AM

i dont ***** and moan. but i sent in emails to help you guys out.

Hunter
08-18-2006, 10:49 AM
AB2714 isn't really a threat anymore. All it would do is require you to give your id when buying ammo online. It has been gut and ammended way too far to the point. It offers nothing.........

Have you read the analysis of this bill???

This part alone should make you shudder if you live in LA, or other anti-gun cities/counties here in the state...

This bill would seriously undermine the current California state preemption law, by giving local governments the authority to enact stricter laws regarding ammunition sales than currently exist statewide. AB2714 does not limit its exemption to CA preemption law to handgun ammunition only, and applies it to sales of ALL types of ammunition, not just handgun ammo. CITIES COULD BAN AMMO SALES ENTIRELY.

dwtt
08-18-2006, 12:36 PM
For those who think AB2714 is benign and shouldn't warrant our opposition, please remember how CA got into the present state it is in. The stupid gun laws didn't show up overnight and take us by surprise. The antigun folks started in the 1980's and learned to slowly chip away at our rights little by little. Now more than 20 years later, we have lost a lot.
AB2714 is another of those small chips, and if it passes, a few years down the road another similar, more restrictive law will be introduced. It won't end until all of our guns are banned and taken away from us 50-60 years from now. I won't be alive then, but my daughter and her children will be.

Santa Cruz Armory
08-18-2006, 1:14 PM
where the heck are the other gun groups?

this blows.

Thank you NRA for providing a consise analysis.

I wrote a letter to GOC regarding their attendance at the DOJ hearing, and when I sent it, it came back undeliverable. I used the "contact us" link from thier site. On their site they were pupming for donations for an Arizona politician. I think they should be concentrating on CA, hence the name, Gun Owners of California...

I also went to the CRPA site, there is no way to contact them except by phone. Seems they don't want to be contacted by their members except to take thier money.

Both these groups are a sham!!

mikehaas
08-19-2006, 10:07 AM
i dont ***** and moan. but i sent in emails to help you guys out.
And thank you for it! I appreciate your efforts.

Everybody here is a volunteer. My 10+ years working with the NRA Members' Councils have taught me it's more productive to appreciate what volunteers can do and do accomplish and not focus on the rest.

I think if NRA had not been present at the DOJ meeting, you have a right to be upset. They are full-time employees that are charged with full-time engagement. (And you're getting that from NRA). But they won't berate those who don't show up, they will simply try to get them there again next time.

Volunteers (hopefully) have a job and life they must maintain with their own problems and schedules. The important point is that we all contribute when we can. NRA tries to give gun owners tools and info to contribute effectively (ONE-CLICKs targeting the right committee, etc), but we really can't and shouldn't berate anyone that has a personal issue that knocks out of a certain event.

If we have a large enough "family" (built up by goodwill and camaraderie), there will always be volunteers to support NRA. So offer each other rides to hearings, Members' Council meetings and other "hands on" events. Encourage (but don't demand) participation. Respect each other and foster an atmosphere of cooperation, - we're all on the same team.

Sorry to preach (I'm a volunteer too), but I've seen frustration hinder our collective progress so often. For those that didn't email or send letters and/or attend the hearing, I encourage you to take more of an active role. We need you there too. (And maybe we'll have lunch afterward :-)

The more of us that actually PARTICIPATE positively and talk about it, the more onlookers that will want to join in. Remember, volunteers don't do ANYTHING they don't want to!

Mike