PDA

View Full Version : Remington 11-87 with "Issues"

Robert1234
08-17-2006, 3:34 PM
Got this nice looking 11-87, shoot pretty accurately, use in PPC Long Gun matches. Looking for a gunsmith in the East Bay area to check a couple of issues the gun has (also looking for gunsmith to install ambi safety on a Kimber 1911);

First, the magazine cap would loosen up, despite the detents. Since changed to magazine extension, with barrel clamp, that problem solved, but WTF Remington, can't you make a gun that stays together?

Second, gun won't lock action open consistently after emptying magazine. This was case before magazine extension, and after. No signs of unusual wear on gun's innards. Jacking the action back on an empty magazine locks it open. Just won't do it automatically.

Third, occaisional failure to load. Extracts spent shell fine, but new shell not chambered. Infrequent, probablly around 3 or 4 times per 100 rounds. Very annoying, but recoverable, simply jack the action, shell chambers, gun works.

Fourth, and this just started this Sunday, double feeds. Really annoying. No recovery from this, gotta stop, engage safety, pry out one of the shells, get back to shooting (if there's time left). This Sunday I switched from Winchester slugs 1600 fps, 1 oz to Remington Slugger, high velocity 1800 fps, 7/8 oz slugs. Haven't had a chance to mess around and see if it's the ammo, but that is the only change from the previous match, where the double feeds were not happening.

The only changes I made to the gun was the installation of a new smooth bore barrel with rifle sights, and Easy Loader carrier release button (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5796&title=REMINGTON+1100%2f11-87+EASYLOADER), which should make no difference, malfunctions were happening before these installations.

BigMac
08-17-2006, 9:29 PM
I went to a trap class an dhad a couple of these thing happen to me in front of an instructor.

The failure to lock open was my falt. I was allowing the gun to push me around too much.

You may want to contact Remington about your issues and see what they recomend. They have pretty dang good customer service.

Rob454
08-18-2006, 6:00 AM
I agree. My buddy had some rifle problems took it to a gun smith and was fixed for free. Remington is really good about their product repair.

NIB
08-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Semi-auto shotties can be tricky. Make sure it's cleaned real well and a good lubing. I can't remember but I think there are some o-rings, check for any wear that could cause problems.

When shooting, make sure you got a solid hold on the gun. If you don't your shottie can jam up, just like limp wristing a handgun can cause it to jam.