PDA

View Full Version : this is not how you are supposed to fish!!!

ke6guj
01-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Be8sqZPdm8E

and the story behind it.

On a darker side of yaking, I remember being at the 2008 Upper Coast TSF Crawfish Boil just past SLP Pier on the beach. McGuyver (Paul) and I went down together and were setting up camp next to TSF member Douglas, his wife, & Wizard of OT. As Paul & I were setting things up, I remember seeing Douglas getting ready to yak a bait out. The surf was pretty rough that day and looked like a washing machine! After a few minutes, I turned around to see where Doulas was and he was struggling to get over the 2nd bar. A double wave comes and proceeds to get his yak sideways and Douglas spills out of the yak. Granted, he's not to far out at this point and he is able to stand! Paul & I are finishing up our camp setup when I look to see if Douglas has made it back to shore. He is still in the surf with a death grip on his yak leash and limping towards the beach. When he gets on the sand, I notice that his bait (stingray) & leader is wrapped around his leg. Paul & I run down to see if we can help and that's when we see that the 20/0 circle hook has impaled his calf deep!! When he dumped, his hook/leader got wrapped around his yak with the hook trailing behind. The next set of waves came and rocketed his yak towards shore, hooking him in the process! He said he didn't feel the initial hook set as the Mustad hooks are so freaking sharp but when the next wave came and took his yak further inshore.... that's when the intense pain set in when the hook went to the bone!!! Paul and I carefully cut the stingray off the hook but dared not to even try and remove the hook. Douglas and his crew jumped in his truck and drove all the way to UTMB Galveston ER. His wife and the Wizard thought it would be cool to film the hook extraction..... see the video link below and enjoy!!!!!

just noticed it was from 2009, so I'm gonna guess that this is a dupe, and that the dupe police will be here shortly.

Shoot-it
01-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Thanks for posting I have never seen it.

That barb sure didn't want to poke threw i was thinking it was longer than that.

Turo
01-18-2011, 1:03 AM
DANG!!! Man, that was tough to watch, even for me. Good thing they pumped that guy full of painkillers before that, he would have not enjoyed it at all!

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-18-2011, 7:50 AM
wow, that dr was a fool. A small incision before trying to pop the hook through, and it's a done deal. cool video, though.

guns4life
01-18-2011, 7:55 AM
Ive seen people hooked deep, usually we/they just cut the hook in half and pull the rest of it through as not to pull against the barb. It even happened to my sister once, right through the back of her leg...

TadyMan
01-18-2011, 8:43 AM
I have seen some sick stuff before but that was making me light headed. Maybe because im a fisherman. That just tells me to never go kayake fishing. Ill stay on the big boats.

BayAreaShooter
01-18-2011, 11:39 AM
That would suck to be him that day.

rooster85
01-18-2011, 2:27 PM
Thats so rad! Ive been yak fishing for years, a buddy of mine got an iron stuck in his back and it took awhile to get it out but nothing like this!