PDA

View Full Version : shipping handgun ammo question???

Noel
01-17-2011, 7:45 PM
Is it that handgun ammo can not be shipped over the California border; or that it can't be shipped in side California at all? If the later is true, then how will the retail stores get it? and if the former is true then maybe we all should bug http://www.miwallcorp.com/index.php?route=information/contact in Grass Valley and see if we can't get them to ship to us whole sale... Just a thought! :confused:

Librarian
01-17-2011, 7:55 PM
It's not that it cannot be shipped, it's that the seller must deliver face-to-face and see the buyer's ID.

How to do that by mail-order or internet order is not resolved.

Noel
01-17-2011, 8:11 PM
It's not that it cannot be shipped, it's that the seller must deliver face-to-face and see the buyer's ID.

How to do that by mail-order or internet order is not resolved.
So how does that work with a firearm store? How will they get their ammo for resale? They can't do face to face purchase for resale...

Librarian
01-17-2011, 8:30 PM
So how does that work with a firearm store? How will they get their ammo for resale? They can't do face to face purchase for resale...

FFLs are exempt.

XYZ
01-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I know the law says face to face delivery and seeing the buyers ID - so could this work with a web cam by both parties at the time a shipment is received? I'm not trying to be a smart *** but would this qualify as the law is written?

Citadelonline
01-17-2011, 11:42 PM
I know the law says face to face delivery and seeing the buyers ID - so could this work with a web cam by both parties at the time a shipment is received? I'm not trying to be a smart *** but would this qualify as the law is written?
It all depends on the definition of "face-to-face."

From 962:
...the delivery or transfer of ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face transaction, with the deliverer or transferor being provided bona fide evidence of identity of the purchaser or other transferee.

If you can provide bona fide evidence of identity, a right thumbprint, a signature, qualify a web cam as being face-to-face, and comply with all of the required record keeping, it would seem so.
Or you would need to be at least one of the following:

(1) A person licensed pursuant to Section 12071.
(2) A handgun ammunition vendor.
(3) A person who is on the centralized list maintained by the department pursuant to Section 12083.
(4) A target facility which holds a business or regulatory license.
(5) Gunsmiths.
(6) Wholesalers.
(7) Manufacturers or importers of firearms licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(8) Sales or other transfers of ownership made to authorized law enforcement representatives of cities, counties, cities and counties, or state or federal governments for exclusive use by those government agencies if, prior to the delivery, transfer, or sale of handgun ammunition, written authorization from the head of the agency authorizing the transaction is presented to the person from whom the purchase, delivery, or transfer is being made. Proper written authorization is defined as verifiable written certification from the head of the agency by which the purchaser, transferee, or person otherwise acquiring ownership is employed, identifying the employee as an individual authorized to conduct the transaction, and authorizing the transaction for the exclusive use of the agency by which he or she is employed.

If not then:
(c) (1) A violation of paragraph (3), (4), (6), or (7) of subdivision (a) is a misdemeanor.

XYZ
01-18-2011, 12:07 AM
If it's an individual selling to another individual a right thumbprint and signature isn't required as I understand it...please correct me if I'm mistaken. So if that's the case does a web cam qualify as face to face when a shipment is received and identification provided?