View Full Version : My plan to keep the DOJ off my back (OLL)

08-17-2006, 7:18 AM
I built a 16" AR-15 with a collapsible stock, pistol grip, and flash hider with a fixed 10 round magazine like many on this board. Based on the newest new memo, they are taking a hard line that this rifle is illegal. I do not want to pay the money to change the stock and remove the flash hider. But, I want to stay 100% legal while the thing sits at home in my safe. I don't want any risk that they attempt to make me an example. Here is my plan:

1. Separate the upper from the lower - there is no law against having an upper with a flash hider.

2. Remove the buttstock of the collapsible stock - it slides right off and it leaves the lower with a tube hanging off the back. There is no law against having a tube on your lower.

3. Remove the pistol grip.

4. Reinstall the magazine catch to it's normal configuration.

When I go to Lake Havasu every three months, I will bring the upper that is not attached to the lower, the buttstock, and the pistol grip. It will take me 3 minutes to assemble and I can shoot it in free America. I do not plan to shoot it in California.

When the rifle is home in the safe, it will be in the above 4 conditions and I will have NO risk of pursecution.

08-17-2006, 8:27 AM
I said it that way on purpose.

08-17-2006, 8:31 AM
Isn't it spelled "persecution" anyway...?

08-17-2006, 8:37 AM
Isn't it spelled "persecution" anyway...?
No, two completely different things.

"Persecution is persistent mistreatment of an individual or group by another group."

Original Poster, do what suits you. It may be a good idea to just buy a new pistol grip when you are out of state. While there is no contructive possession law for pistol grips and the like, it seems that you want to take the safest approach. Just a thought.

Also, your title should be about keeping the police off your back, not the DOJ since the police will be the ones who will pull you over in a traffic stop ;) . The DOJ hasn't started taking the CHPs duty...yet :p .

08-17-2006, 9:47 AM
Are you one of the DOJ shill accounts here?

Your OLL is legal. The DOJ 'clarification' is not a clarification as it directly conflicts with other approved guns. It's merely a holding position to give the appearance of activity IMHO.

And you can always run gripless and use the MonsterMan grip. There's no controversy there...

08-17-2006, 10:07 AM
A DOJ shill? I vomited my breakfast at your suggestion. I despise any person that would enforce blatently unconstitutional laws against Californians just to get a paycheck. The DOJ people are no different than the Nazi prison guards that claimed to be just "following orders". They enforce evil laws. I believe the 2nd ammendment guarrantees you more of a right to an M16 than a Ruger 10/22. I also agree that my fixed mag rifle meets the letter of the law because it requires a tool to remove the magazine.

Bill, does that clear things up?

I just want to have a way to keep my OLL rifle in my safe in a way that can not be disputed. Based on the DOJ memo of the month, they would try to take action against me in it's current configuration even though the DOJ is 100% wrong and they know it. When I want to use it like it was meant to be used, I can take it to Arizona. I don't want to run gripless and I don't like the monsterthingiegrip.

08-17-2006, 10:58 AM
.................................................. .....................................When the rifle is home in the safe, it will be in the above 4 conditions and I will have NO risk of pursecution.

maybe he means: "..........pur$ecution.." ;)

08-17-2006, 12:12 PM
OK perhaps I was fast on the trigger.

But key people at the DOJ FD do post here, some with 'doubting Thomas' attitudes, and some with 'go get 'em' personas.

08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
OK perhaps I was fast on the trigger.

But key people at the DOJ FD do post here, some with 'doubting Thomas' attitudes, and some with 'go get 'em' personas.

I got a chuckle out this...at the meeting I was talking with the DOJ staff, and they brought up Calguns.net forum in the context that they do read and keep an eye out on what is posted here.....but the way it was stated was " we use the calguns.net forum all the time, don't think we don't...."

A Freudian slip or not......:rolleyes:

08-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Bwiese and GJJ very amusing exchange there. :D
Your messages sound like a movie in which a drug dealer and user meet:
User: I am here to buy drugs.
Dealer: Well, first I have to know you arenít a cop.
User: Ok.
Dealer: Are you a cop?
User: No way, do I look like a cop to you? Would a cop be buying drugs?
Dealer: Yeah, that makes sense - you are kosher, so what do you want?

08-17-2006, 1:43 PM
So it turns out DOJ hires a bunch of ex narcotics enforcement guys. Satex - that you? (insert tongue firmly in cheek)

08-17-2006, 6:29 PM
Ten Percent Firearms (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=146)

He should still have a few more left right now. I am sending him more, so get em while you can.

08-17-2006, 7:18 PM
Thanks again!

08-17-2006, 9:16 PM
I totally disagree. You will ALWAYS be at risk for pursecution...However, prosecution may be quite another matter.;)
Then again, maybe not! :D