PDA

View Full Version : NRA gets an interesting 2A Ruling in LA

hoffmang
08-16-2006, 8:09 PM
No, not that LA, Louisiana.

As NRA is pressing forward on their suit against the City of New Orleans, they just got an interesting ruling from the District Court. The Court ruled that the 2nd Amendment is incorporated by the 14th Amendment and thus is applicable against the States (and thus cities.) This is in many ways the second major step as the Fifth Circuit has already recognized that 2A is an individual right in Emerson (http://www.guncite.com/court/fed/46fsupp2d598.html)- but that was in the context of a Federal question.

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/Releases.aspx?ID=8039

I'm digging around to see if I can find the opinion.

This will add to the Circuit split on the Second Amendment overall.

-Gene

TKo_Productions
08-16-2006, 8:12 PM
Excellent!! :)

Draven
08-17-2006, 3:10 AM
That's great... was this Fifth District again?

Of course, if we could get the USSC to make a similar ruling....

hoffmang
08-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Yes. This is in the Fifth District Court of Appeals territory.

-Gene

bwiese
08-17-2006, 11:49 AM
This is big, folks. And it happened in the right district, too.

It's "ripening" nicely.

Talkin2u2
08-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This is big, folks. And it happened in the right district, too.

It's "ripening" nicely.

Yes, this is very big. But while NRA fights to protect our rights in every state, and especially here in California, the other so-called pro-gun groups are out making deals with PETA and anti-gun legislators.

It is true that I could not make it to the DOJ Hearing yesterday, but the NRA and several people from Calguns were there. But where were these other "pro-gun" groups? Were their representatives even in Sacramento? Do they care about gun rights and our freedom? Or do they have other agendas?

RS
Sac, CA

bwiese
08-17-2006, 12:06 PM
It is true that I could not make it to the DOJ Hearing yesterday, but the NRA and several people from Calguns were there. But where were these other "pro-gun" groups? Were their representatives even in Sacramento? Do they care about gun rights and our freedom? Or do they have other agendas?

They were in Sacto. We saw 'em on the street. Guess they were trying to ban hunting dogs or something.

These other groups seem to be paid lobbyist du jour... the idea that they are supporting Torrico's ammo bill is horrifying.

Talkin2u2
08-17-2006, 4:10 PM
They were in Sacto. We saw 'em on the street. Guess they were trying to ban hunting dogs or something.

These other groups seem to be paid lobbyist du jour... the idea that they are supporting Torrico's ammo bill is horrifying.

I recently heard from someone I coorespond with somewhat infrequently and he referred to a certain group as the CALIFORNIA RIFLE & PETA ASSOCIATION.

I couldn't stop laughing and I was hoping to be able to fit in here. :)

RS
Sac, CA