View Full Version : Winchester Back Again In Business

08-16-2006, 6:42 PM

We're all gonna have to wait a little longer for them '94's and Model 70's to appreciate.,,, Winchester is back!:)

08-16-2006, 6:53 PM
well, since Browning has been making Winchester Shotguns for quite some time now, this is no surprise. But since Olin Winchester owns the patent rights to the Mod 70 and Mod 94, and those cant be sold as per the licensing agreement, hes got at least 5 years before they can produce any of those models. So no worries about those models appreciation value. And remember, appreciation is only what the sellers/buyers make it. Its supply and demand that dictates appreciation.

08-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Saw a big post on this on highroad linking back to that .22 forum (sorry, forgot the name - edit memory returns rimfire central)

This all looks kinda convuluted to me. Olin owns the Winchester name. Licensed it to USARC who sold it to Herstal. Couldn't make money on the union deal in CT so gave up the license.
Browning (another Herstal company) now jumps in and takes over. Apparently the union has a deal where '94's and 70's can't be made anywhere but New Haven for two years. FN (another Herstal company) has a plant in SC (no union trouble there).
Brownings are also contract made in Belgium (parts there and assembly in Portugal) and Japan.
Looks like Herstal F'd the union, drove up Winchester prices temporarily, and before we all forget will make the 94's and 70's we all collectivley long for.
They just won't be made by the union in CT.

So, just how many jobs did the union save in CT? A big fat zero.

As far as America is concerned, they might be made in NC, but probably Japan.

08-17-2006, 12:18 AM
a japanese made model 70, well i'll ve damned...

08-17-2006, 8:32 AM
Well, that's a no-brainer.... so in reality, nothing has really changed. lmao

08-17-2006, 8:40 AM
I guess there are 2 categories now sought after by collectors:

1.) pre-64
2.) made in CT

08-17-2006, 8:57 AM
I guess there are 2 categories now sought after by collectors:

1.) pre-64
2.) made in CT

lol... and that's the only realistic difference. ;)

08-17-2006, 9:30 AM

We're all gonna have to wait a little longer for them '94's and Model 70's to appreciate.,,, Winchester is back!:) ....[/URL]

Actually Winchester never went away. The only thing that happend this year is that guns made with the Winchester name will no longer be done in the USA. With the closing of the CT USARC plant, FN-Herstal said then they will continue to make the Winchester guns (shotguns, rifles, ect) just not the 94s or 70s overseas. Also the agreement USARC had with Olin to use the Win. name expired in 2007, so the Herstal Group have just renewed that agreement but now between Olin and their Browning division (since USARC is no more).

edit to add original press release:

On 18 January 2006, Damian J. Troise of the Register Staff reported that U.S. Repeating Arms had officially announced that, after 140 years in New Haven, they would be closing their doors by March 31, 2006, ending the production of Winchester brand firearms in the United States. 186 New Haven jobs will be lost.

Troise reported in his article that, "USRAC Facility Director Paul DeMennato said the move will essentially result in the end of the Winchester-brand firearm. However, Scott Grange, a spokesman for Browning/Winchester, a Herstal division based in Morgan, Utah, said the Winchester brand will continue."

Future Winchester brand guns will be manufactured in Japan and Europe, as has been the case with the Model 1885 High Wall and Low Wall single shot rifles, Model 1886 and 1895 lever action rifles, the new SXR autoloading rifle (a version of the BAR), X2/SX3 autoloading shotguns (relabeled Browning Gold models), and Select O/U shotguns in recent years. And these models will continue to be offered under the Winchester name, as will a cheap line of Eastern European .22 rifles. But the heart of the Winchester line, the Model 70 bolt action rifles ("The Rifleman's Rifle), Model 94 Lever action rifles (descendent of the "Gun that Won the West"), and Model 1300 pump shotguns have always been manufactured in New Haven. These models are now officially discontinued and there are no plans to revive them by overseas manufacture.

08-18-2006, 6:50 PM
I dunno guys~

I've a bud on another forum that's essentially one or two degrees of seperation from one of the souces. He's saying the both mods will be back on line~ while the location is still TBD but the union actually backed the deal in CT so its VERY likely it will be again right there..........